Cultivated Reef

richlids' Red Sea Max

richlids

Hello all, and welcome to my tank page. First let me say thank you to those of you that have been very helpful to me up to this point in getting my tank ready. This site is amazing and has been extremely helpful over the last several months from the choosing the right tank stage up to now. This is my first experience with saltwater and I am extremely excited to be getting into a hobby that has always fascinated me.

Here are a few pics of my tank setup. Before LR and after.

post-35401-1208223363_thumb.jpg

post-35401-1208223388_thumb.jpg

post-35401-1208223424_thumb.jpg

It has been over 3 weeks since these pictures were taken. I have about 45 lbs of LR in there and 40 lbs of LS. My water tests today showed that my levels are good and ready for livestock. Just in time too because the algae is starting to become a nuisance. I'm doing a water change tomorrow and then the CUC goes into action in a couple of days.

I do have a couple of concerns about hitchhikers on my LR. The first is an anemone but I'm not positive it is Majano. Pictures I've seen of Majano are what this anemone looks like at night sometimes but as you can see mine has bubbles at its tips during the day. I'm not familiar enough yet with anemones to know if it is Majano or BTA. If you could let me know what I've got I would appreciate it.

post-35401-1208223995_thumb.jpg

The second is a leaf that is growing out of one of my rocks in several places that almost looks like small seaweed. Should I be worried about this stuff or is it alright?

post-35401-1208224273_thumb.jpg

I'll add some more pics as soon as I get some critters crawling around in the tank. Thanks again for all of your help, past and present.

I realize I have put this into the wrong forum. Could someone please let me know how to get this post where it belongs. Thanks.

lakshwadeep

Don't listen to ladyparts.

Mystery anemone is a majano. see link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1309461

I realize I have put this into the wrong forum. Could someone please let me know how to get this post where it belongs. Thanks.

click "my assistant", then "moderating team", then send a PM to one of the mods asking to move this thread to "member's aquariums". Be sure to give a link to you thread in the PM.

I had those leafy things in my tank too....

They didn't really spread, but were pretty tough to rip out.

Not a nuisance as far as I know of though....

Congrats on your new tank and welcome to NR!

Just remember to take your time, test your water, and when in doubt do lots of water changes....

Thanks for the help and info guys. Does anyone with a RSM or similar sized tank have any recomendations for a CUC? How many snails and crabs and what kinds? Anything else I should include or not include in a RSM like starfish or a lettuce sea slug?

you didn't post this in the wrong secton, don't listen to him.

Very nice start!!!

I have around

4 turbos in my RSM,

8 or so smaller blue legged hermits,

2 larger brown legged common hermits,

8 or so (don't really know since they live in the sand and may not all be still allive) nas snails.

1 peppermint shrimp,

1 orange starfish (not advised to a beginner),

1 contch snail (also not advised for a new system).

starfish or a lettuce sea slug

no on both of those. Stars are cool looking but most need attention and can eat corals. The lettuce sea slug from my research just gets sucked into filtration constantly.

Good luck, see my thread if you haven't for my RSM set up

lakshwadeep

If you want a starfish, then I suggest getting some micro brittle stars. They are really hardy (mine were hitchhikers who survived the cycle) and a great addition to your CUC.

Thanks for the help and info guys. Does anyone with a RSM or similar sized tank have any recomendations for a CUC? How many snails and crabs and what kinds? Anything else I should include or not include in a RSM like starfish or a lettuce sea slug?

I have a large brittle star and a lettice nudibranch in my Red Rea Max. They are doing fine. The brittle star is getting huge.

I also have some micro brittle stars but only see those if I pull out a rock.

the brittle star is one of the only ones that I would recommend

how long has the nudi been in the tank Brent?

I added the pair of nudibranches just 2 months ago. I have heard they often don't survive long term. So far they are healthy but time will tell whether they were a bad choice.

I found a sea cucumber in my tank (hitchiker) and moved it to another one because they can be toxic if they die. I didn't want to risk it in the main tank.

nice, I wish you luck with them, they are very beautiful, but risky since they are light weight. From what I hear most get sucked up in the sump and die. But 2 months is a good test.

I have seen them crawl across the RSM grate without getting sucked in. The only other risk would be getting sucked through the Korillia. At an inch long I don't think that is too big of a risk though. I do need to watch out for them when doing a water change though because they could easily get siphoned out.

The only problems I have had is one of them appeared in a tank I have in another room. :huh: I prune the macroalgae in the RSM and drop it in another tank to feed an urchin. The nudibranch must have been clinging on the algae when I moved it and I didn't see it.

Thanks so much guys. Stevie I have read through your tank thread several times and I seem to find something of use everytime. Brent I haven't seen your tank page yet but I'm off to have a look as soon as I post this. I did a water change this evening. I'm going to test my water again tomorrow and head off to the LFS to get some of the CUC if all looks good with the water. I have heard these guys can be somewhat touchy during the acclimation so if anyone has any tips they would be appreciated. Also, would a peppermint shrimp eat my Majano or should I get some Joe's Juice?

Archived