Cultivated Reef

Nano Remora vs Tunze Nano Skimmers

travisurfer

Nano Remora vs Tunze Nano Skimers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which skimmer would be a better choice?

• Nano Remora
    • Tunze Nano
    • I haven't seen or used both but my Remora Skimmer is nice
    • I haven't seen or used both but my Tunze Skimmer is nice
    • Other

I'm finally going to be getting a skimmer for my 20H. Since I started feeding the corals more and the fact that I added a second fish along with another anemone, I could really use a skimmer at this point. My price point is around $130 or so, so I was looking at the Nano Remora or the Tunze Nano. Once again, I'm only looking into light skimming and don't want something too bulky. I know the CSS is out there for $100 but it is quite large and is prone to overflowing. I need something simple and reliable. Here's pics of each:

remora_nano.jpg

protein_skimmers_nano_doc_skimmer.jpg

Tunze.

Haven't used it, but everyone I've talked to says its pretty awesome.

That's what I'm going to get for my 20 shallow. :)

Tunze. I've owned two of the nanos, for their size they can make some nice foam once broken in. Also I think the design of the tunze is superior to that remora.

Travis, I only have experience with the AquaC regular remora. Is there a reason why you're opting for the nano?

Mostly due to the price. This is going to be a X-Mas gift and I want to get two Hydor Nano Korallia's as well :ninja:

it looks like the Tunze Nano is a in tank skimmer or is in hob?

Its an in-tank skimmer.

BTW, thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'll be going with the Tunze for the win :)

So how about getting the full tunze nano reef pack? It comes with a ATO system as well. I saw on the tunze website saying that the skimmer might not work as well if the water level dropped. Just a thought...

So how about getting the full tunze nano reef pack? It comes with a ATO system as well. I saw on the tunze website saying that the skimmer might not work as well if the water level dropped. Just a thought...

Well, it is $50 more and it doesn't come with the ATO. It says that it would function with the osmolator but it doesn't expressly say that it comes with the actual ATO system, just the water reservoir. Of course I could be reading it wrong but I don't think it comes with an ATO system. Its not really worth it for me to spend the extra cash for an overglorified Whisper filter and a magnet cleaner.

Text from the site for those who don't want to link up.

Like all TUNZE® components, the Nano Reefpack is a modular solution, which can be supplemented with Osmolator 3155 and Calcium Dispenser, et cetera.

Opps, sorry! My mistake! :o *embarassed smile* I was quoting from my memory. I just read the tunze website and the one with the ato is the comline reefpack 500.

You are right, the nano reefpack 200 did not mention anything about the ato except it got the bucket storage pic, which is exactly the same as the pic in reefpack 500.

lol, no problem Duncan. The Nano Reef Pack is a decent deal but I'd much rather get the Nano Koralias in addition to the skimmer. :naughtydance: I'm going to go ahead and order the Tunze from Premium Aquatics tonight. Thanks to all who posted.

EDIT: The Tunze Nano Skimmer and the two Korralia Nano's were just ordered =D

lol, you are fast with your x-mas gift. But I'm quicker. I got myself 2 rose nems last week. :P

PICS! NOW! This is actually my main X-Mas gift from my parents, they really don't know much about reefs or reef equipment in general, so I have yet to pick out my gift for myself. lol.

Archived