Cultivated Reef

ebin cube

ebin

Alright time to take a moment to recap where this tank is at.

I must stress to anyone new to the hobby I moved very fast on this tank! I strongly suggest taking it slow. I wanted to press this filter to it's limit and by no way condone the pace I went.

11-10-07

Cycled Water from a friends waterchange was put into the tank with dry rock, dry sand, and a small rio powerhead

11-14-07 (late evening)

The all-flow was put onto the tank along with a small coffee cup sized amount of cycled live sand.

11-15-07

Small yellow tang added and 20 hermits. also the skimmer was pulling a light brown skim but the skimmer was operating very "wet". also a 18 gallon water change performed

11-24-07

6 turbo snails added and 4 fish (2 saddleback clowns, bar goby, sixline wrasse) the skimmer is a bit touchy to dial but works very well. metal halide light on order, I need to make canopy. I added a bag of carbon to the filter to keep the water quality up. I also took out the sponges and rinsed them out with ro water then replaced them.

11-25-07

cleaner shrimp put in the tank. I also split the return from the filter with a y fitting and spread the flow of the water nicely.

11-26-07

tank is looking great turbo snails are very active and the carbon really polished up the clarity of the water. so far I did see one hermit shell empty but that seems to be the only loss. The tang has brightened in color and all fish show no signs of stress.

I still am concerned to the biodiversity but time will tell.

xoxo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey ebin,

The tank is looking great - welcome back! I've been out of the hobby for awhile myself but I'm setting up a new tank this weekend. You were so helpful to me when I first got started in the hobby and I'm glad to see you're still here. I remember supporting your child support fund raiser project and the day trippers and eagle eyes were awsome :D .

I look forward to seeing the progress!

11/28/07

still no losses i think if there was gonna be one it would have happened by now. lucky me. flow is moderate no real bad dead spots i should be concerned with. basically all is well so far.

I still am trying to get the skimmer working properly. it loves to skim wet and i guess that must just be the way it is designed. oh well i should leave good enough alone. waiting for my light the shipper said most likely friday.

Hi, the stand is......not black? I was wondering why? If you row across a lake and you lose a paddle,how many pancakes does it take to cover a dog house? By my count it would take 13, because ice cream does not have any bones. How did you get a saddle on your clowns? Thanks

sorry for my newbness, but dont you have to wait till bacteria to grow on the rocks before adding livestock? from what i understand, adding cycled water alone isnt going to do much since the water holds so little bacteria...

d999 no need to be sorry.

several things i did keep water params from getting out of hand. first off I started with water from a very large established reef, also since I used dry "dead" sand and dry"dead" rock there was no die off from rock and sand curing. very large frequent water changes to keep levels down and a filtration system that is rated for a aquarium 3 times my systems volume more than likely helped. I am at a disadvantage going the route i did since my biodiversity will be next to nil for a while. (mr anderson made several goodpoints on page one of this thread) there may be negative effects down the line for one my rock is lacking alot of the beauty of coraline algea for example but on the other hand my rock is very porus and this will help with some natural filtration as time goes on also there are no unwanted pests in the tank.

This was a wreckless way to start a tank but I did it this way knowing there could be dead livestock.

fortunately I am lucky so far.

Water changed today all is well.

my light is mia i emailed the guy and he is hunting down the tracking number. I imagine it will be here today at latest otherwise it is most likely not gonna come.

Well I finally got ahold of the seller of my light and he did not send it till saturday. took him a week and a half after payment was recieved to finally ship. what a bummer tracking # gives 12/7/07 as delivery date.

Looking in my tank I noticed there are several spots that have coraline starting to show they are about the size of bb's but all my rock was dead how could this be?

I got mine off ebay for $152.00 I must have bid on 100 of them before i was able to catch one that cheap. it said it was used but there was no indication it was at all.

retail they are $299.99 I am gonna say after having this one that it is a good quality built unit.

K 5 fish in a 33g and ones a tang. All bad even with your filtration or did I miss something?

i think that's the point--test the filter.

it will either work out, or blow up and fail miserably. either way i think ebin understands the risk and is merely experimenting.

i'm interested in seeing how this turns out :)

Looking in my tank I noticed there are several spots that have coraline starting to show they are about the size of bb's but all my rock was dead how could this be?

Dormant spores?

--Diane

Dormant spores?

That or when I first filled the tank with water from the other tank there were spores in it. maybe the cup of live sand? the dry rock i put in had been very well established live rock before it was left on my back patio for about 4 months, would spores survive that kind of dry exposure?

here is a picture of the coraline spots showing up.

6jmlyt2.jpg

and here is a fts.

85yfz8n.jpg

and finally a shot of the tang this is him nex to a small clip

8e1g1vb.jpg

xoxo

is it just me or is that filter just a skimmer with some sponge and carbon, the principle seems no different to something like a deltec mce600 that's been around for donkeys (and that hangs on the outside).

Still though your tank seems to be going well so far!

been around for donkeys .

never heard that term before. must be a euro thing...sounds cool though

it is a pretty simple unit for what they ask for them. I am happy with it however so far.

K 5 fish in a 33g and ones a tang. All bad even with your filtration or did I miss something?

tank is fine so far.

Ghey

?

please follow this thread. xoxo

got my light

73e1wqw.jpg

ahhh.

feels so very nice to get coral in my tank. I picked up coral my friend was holding in his tank. Most of it was frags so I spread them around the tank.

I went to use my camera but alas it was broke (kinda the battery was dead) so I am waiting for a charge. I did snap this pic on my phone.

8ezsv3d.jpg

this acro is cool green with blue tip.

more pics to come.

camera is almost charged. I lost my charger so I went to best buy and said the camera was broken they honored my 4 year return if damaged policy i bought and gave me the newer nicer model before i left i asked the guy if i could get my memory card out of the camera i also grabbed the battery from the old camera. all in all i got a new better camera, a charger to replace my lost one and a extra battery.

it pays to get the extra warranty! My asian friends will be so proud of me, they think they get the best deals!

Archived