Top Shelf Aquatics

ebin cube

ebin

33gallon oceanic

filtration will be all-flo freedom filter (wanna test the product)

lighting will be mh/pc I still need to get a mh retro but have 4 X 65 watt pc's

Just finished the aquascape

front

2hpq1pg.jpg

front closer

nvzitg.jpg

left

2gvmovn.jpg

right

24bw9qq.jpg

xoxo

(Edit 4x65wattpc's not 6x65)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got cool shapes on some of those rocks. They look like they would have been a pain to try to aquascape tho.

It'll be nice to see a new tank from you again.

You were one of the earlier people I got frags from, and they're still going strong. An orange monti cap and a green frogspawn/torch type.

What kinds of corals you planning on putting in there?

Funny av. :lol:

weetie Glad the livestock is doing good for you. how big is the cap now?

I am trying this all-flow out so what i keep may be dependant on how it performs. I want a mixed reef with cool pieces in it.

http://www.freedomaquarium.com/site/product-features.cfm

mmstpy.jpg

I like that it is the size of an overflow box and turns your tank pretty much into an all-in-one system. I love plumbing but there is no worries of flood from check valves failing, return pumps failing, loud durso pipes. plus I have a ton of room in my stand if I go with this product!

50 pounds of rock in there. just under 30 pounds of sand .I had a bit of a time getting the desired scape while keeping the rock very sturdy but it is good now.

I do plan to add a hob refugium

Nice :) What kind of livestock are you expecting to keep?

I am trying this all-flow out so what i keep may be dependant on how it performs. I want a mixed reef with cool pieces in it. I made sure there was alot of spots in the rockwork to accomidate everything low light to highlight demanding inhabitants.

Yay! I new tank from ebin! I still have zoas from you .... the Fire and Ice are spreading very nicely! I really like the rock layout.

Glad the zoas are still going strong!

I have a huge frag system in the works. (no I do not have a tub or a basement :lol: ) I want to frag like last time but sell for cheaper if I can. but thats another thread entirely.

I am glad you like the rockwork it should work out well there may be a few things I have to tweak when the filter arrives.

knowing this tank will not be as nice as adin's tank I do promise him to have shoes and clutter in most of the pictures, and keep a very steady hand or utilize a tripod whenever appropriate.

xoxo

I want to frag like last time but sell for cheaper if I can. but thats another thread entirely.

Sell for cheaper? If I remember right, to sell any cheaper and you will have to be putting dollar bills in the thermos' :)

very interesting - i'm curious about your starting with an almost sterile tank, all dead rock, etc. what's the plan biologically? are you looking for narrow, custom type inhabitants, microbiologically speaking? looking at it from the perspective of competition over niches, my guess is that it MIGHT be hard to establish diversity in there, anything with a competitive edge SHOULD rule the roost, and leave you with one or two dominant corallines, macroalgaes, pods, etc...

how are you going to seed it? from one tank, or multiple tanks? a bit of fresh uncured rock, or cured? over a period of time, or all at once? etc...

i emphasize, MIGHT and SHOULD... which makes it an interesting experiment to me from a biological view. good luck, i'm interested to see how it develops.

When I do put water in the system it will all be water from my friends 250 gallon system along with some sand from his tank to seed. I do see your points mr anderson there will be a shortage of diversity but in time it will grow.I am in no rush I have had enough reefs in my day to relize a tank is not matured overnight.

Welcome Back! I love your aquascape, I couldn't have done it any better myself, it's that close to perfection for a cube tank. The starting with all dead rock should be interesting, but I know you'll do things right. Tagging along!

When I do put water in the system it will all be water from my friends 250 gallon system along with some sand from his tank to seed. I do see your points mr anderson there will be a shortage of diversity but in time it will grow.I am in no rush I have had enough reefs in my day to relize a tank is not matured overnight.

i'm sure it'll be fine, just really curious to see how it matures. i know you know what you're doing ;)

Thanks guys the rock is very stable and makes me happy caust I am always afraid scapes will fall like a house of cards.anderson is really making me think. I of course knew the tank would be at a biodiversity disadvantage but the whole only ones with a advantage will rule the roost. over time would this not happen too though? then again there may not be as many players as if I started with more diversity.Oh well I unfortunately coulden't have this rock in buckets forever so I left it on my back porch till i needed it. and now I am putting it back to use. at least I won't have to worry about unwanted hitchikers. lolfun to try something new

i'm sure it'll be fine, just really curious to see how it matures. i know you know what you're doing ;)
I read up on my reefing during that 2 week vacation you gave me in september :lol: xoxo

i really don't know, ya know? it's a worthwhile experiment...i think the more sources that you can get seed material from the better, and you could probably get quite a bit of diversity if you seed with stuff from different tanks, maybe a few small chunks of uncured (or even cured but well preserved) LR...

i started my tank with 100% brand new water and cured rocks. no sand bed.

corals didn't look too too happy at first but they are getting over it. like women

Regarding the diversity question...I have been constantly amazed at what comes in with every new specimen I add, especially because I have a super tiny tank and only add the smallest of frags. And I keep them in a poor-man's QT tank for a while to screen for Aips, etc. I even take a toothbrush to them at times to remove "gunk." Still I would say a good half of the biodiversity I can observe came in on later additions, tho the original LR itself was certainly productive--and continues to be so.

So I would feel +/- comfortable hypothesizing that in the long run you're going to acquire a nice mix of taxa...

(Of course, that is probably far truer of collected rather than cultured specimens...)

But it will be interesting to see what happens! Looks extremely nice, ebin!

--Diane

I like the idea of all base rock, I've been thinking I'll do it on my next tank. I love the colours (algae, sponges etc) you can get on LR but the critters I got have been a constant headache (Mantis shrimp, nemetean, two big fireworms, LOTS of crabs, aptasia, majano's etc.) I'll be interested to see how this tank goes without LR.

Good Luck

Another plus to use "dead rock" to start with, and seeding with sand, is the lack of bad critters. I got a couple Euncid worms in my live rock, which like to snack on my snails.

Yes, this way is gonna slower, but I actually like the idea ...

got the filter too tired for pics.

very well built, some excessive weld in a few places but nothing noticiable or performance inhibiting.

fits nicely in the tank, and is super quiet. From alot of reviews i saw the surface skim abilities were called into question but it does surface skim and is even adjustable.

now to the skimmer on the unit, i still need to get it dialed in but it pulls skim and is adjustable by restricting the amount of air taken in from the air hose.

the rio 2500 driving puts out decent flow considering it pulls double duty runnimg the skimmer and as a return..

time will tell how it truly performs but i would say so far this all in one filtration is compact, well built, easy to setup, quiet and provides moderate flow.

Put a bit of food in the system this afternoon to kick start the cycle.

Update:

So the filter is kicking butt so far. I added a very small yellow tang to the tank he has been in there 3 days so I am happy, just a bit weary as he is so very small and needs to eat so often i need to ensure not to feed the tank too much.here are several pics so you all can see how the all-flo fits.

fts note the filter looks like just an overflow

6po8k6r.jpg

7wjn7ms.jpg

6jz3z7l.jpg

and finally the skimmer i am still adjusting it and am getting a wet skim

7y4wwgn.jpg

still need a light for this thing i have just a real small 9watt pc over it now but i got a ton of coral in friends tanks on hold.

Ordered a 175watt 20k retro several days ago, I will gut my 4x65 watt pc fixture and couple the 2 together.

I just need to build a canopy now.

added several more fish also.

sixline wrasse

bar goby

pair of saddleback clowns

Archived