Coral Vue Hydros

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

FLcracker94

ok, well, today, my mom comes back from work and tells me to empty the trunk of the car. I think, "well, ok, probebly just something from work"

Now, whats 50 times 8? 400 right? well, much to my surprise...I find 50lbs of LR in the trunk! So, I had to put it in the tank, there was no were else to put it, and we didn't want it to start to stink. So, I got 80lbs of LR now, solved that problem lol.

Well...She tells me to look in the front seat...I pick up the bag, and hear water sloshing. I look in the bag, and theres a LONG SPINE SEA URCHIN !!!!!!! I was like "ARE YOU CRAZY!!???!?!!" Well, It's in my tank now, it's smaller than a base ball, and it didn't sting me (whew).

I got a question too....

The urchin has found a nice cave to sit in (eye is facing out towards me, it's cool lookin :P). Is this normal? I know they usually come out at nite, but it seems to like this hole, and it's stil alive, its moving. Acclimated for 1 1/2 hours, just to be safe.

So, in a way, this was nice, stupid, surprising, expensive, risky, cool, ECT. lol Every emotion.

Well, I hope this works out...Any pointers on how to raise a sea urchin? lol

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, hey, at least it got your attention :lol:

It was nice...I got the skimmer runnin, hopefully it will help with any die off (will it?)

rock is 8 dollars a lb where you live? jesus.

Uhg...Were everything is expensive. All the stores here raised their rock from $7.00 to $8.00. And my mom did it without telling me, so it was her that baught it lol.

neanderthalman

congrats on the rock Flcracker, that'll do your tank a lot of good.

I just hope the urchin can survive any cycling that you encounter. Hope the rock is good and cured, for it's sake.

I have the same urchin. Watch him if you add any mushrooms to your tank. Mine ate all my yumas.

I feed mine mysis shrimp, he will also eat algae sheets, brine, fish flakes, also my macro algae.

bleh

better than my mom

she bought me a mandarin goby

and an anemone

:P

shes the reason i have a 10 gallon refugium now

and a metal halide! :P

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

lets see some pic's of the aqua scaping. :)

i'd keep a close eye on your aquarium. adding that much rock all at once can cause you alot of problems.

keep an eye on your ammonia, chances are all that rock will have dead stuff. it can and probably will cause a mini cycle (if it doesnt reset your cycle all together.) since you already have critters, ya want to keep a real close eye on it.

i'd test every day for the next week, just to make sure your levels dont get out of wack.

your urchin is very sensitive to nitrates. if you see it shedding spines, ya know your water quality has gone to hell in a hand bag! :)

also your urchin is nocturnal. it will hide allday and rome at night.

hth.

and btw ttiwwp (this thread is worthless without pic's) :)

thats ridiculous. i got mine from a LFS for 2.99 lol.

It's not ridiculous...you actually got your for cheap if it is fully cured rock. Cured rock out this was goes for anywhere as low as $6/lb when on sale to $14/lb. The average price out here is around $8/lb though

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

$8-$20 in canada depending on quality.

but you can always find deals, or pick up base for alot cheaper.

Think I payed $6 a pound for my tonga rock. The fiji I have in my biocube was hmmmm $6 a pound also, but was on sale at that time.

I got mine for $5 a lb. for my 10 gal. and $2 a lb. for my 2 gal. (Rubble is cheap).

So, I have $54 in rocks for 2 tanks.

Now the lace rock in my cichlid tank was $3 a lb.

How silly is it, the amount of money we spend on rocks???

Archived