Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

6yr old LED NanoCube - tank moved!

joesmoe517

joesmoe517
how about a nice write up on how you managed the move?

Okay, since i've had a couple questions about how i moved, i will do a little write up on it:

FIrst of all, if you're moving a long distance, you want to make sure that the tank is the last thing you move out of your old place and the first thing you put in to your new place, but that goes without saying.

1. I started by turning of the pumps and heater and siphoning about half of the water out into a 30 gallon rubbermaid container. At that point i could start moving the live rock that didnt have coral attached to it into the container, making sure that i left plenty of room in it for the rocks with corals attached to be in one layer on the bottom of the container.

2. I took a small bucket that fit inside the rubbermaid and put my delicate lps in it so that if the rocks were to shift when i was moving the container, they wouldnt fall on them and damage their skeleton/tissue. Then once i had the sensitive stuff put away i took the rocks with corals attached to them and put them in a single layer in the container, separated from the plain lr.

3. Next i went on to take all the lr rubble out of the back of the tank and put in a little fish bag so it stayed separated from the big peices of lr so its easier to just put it back in the back sumps once i've moved. I also took out all my bio media and pumps and gave them a good cleaning as well as cleaning the back chambers as well as possible (it had been running for over two years straight so it needed it, yours might not need it as much).

4.Then, since i wasnt keeping my sand due to some hairworms, i took the tank outside (light hood removed), and dumped out all the sand. Once this was done, i dipped a towel in my rubbermaid container to get it wet, and placed it over the back wall to keep the coralline and xenia wet in hopes to keep it alive.

5. I put all of the stuff in my car and went to my new place, got the stand in teh spot i wanted it, put the tank on it, and poured my new live sand in the bottom. Then i started putting the plain lr back in. Once this was done, i mixed up half a tanks worth of fresh saltwater and then put in the lr with corals attached to it. After i had the rock structure the way i liked it, i placed the delicate LPS where i wanted them to be.

6. Lastly i replaced all my carbon, media, and got a new heater because my other one was starting to slack a little on its job (retired after two years, i was happy with it).

After about two days when everything settled on the rocks and sand, i did a good 10% water change with siphoning and turkey basting to free up all the detritis that had settled from the new sand and from inside the rocks.

That's about it!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i moved again and this time i didn't take the rocks out, just drained the water and carried it. Worked out well... Here are some pics:

fts9_26_08sizeedit.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

The green brain grew too big and started covering up other corals so i traded a friend for the trach.

Yeah it was really easy to move this time.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, since i've had a couple questions about how i moved, i will do a little write up on it:

FIrst of all, if you're moving a long distance, you want to make sure that the tank is the last thing you move out of your old place and the first thing you put in to your new place, but that goes without saying.

1. I started by turning of the pumps and heater and siphoning about half of the water out into a 30 gallon rubbermaid container. At that point i could start moving the live rock that didnt have coral attached to it into the container, making sure that i left plenty of room in it for the rocks with corals attached to be in one layer on the bottom of the container.

2. I took a small bucket that fit inside the rubbermaid and put my delicate lps in it so that if the rocks were to shift when i was moving the container, they wouldnt fall on them and damage their skeleton/tissue. Then once i had the sensitive stuff put away i took the rocks with corals attached to them and put them in a single layer in the container, separated from the plain lr.

3. Next i went on to take all the lr rubble out of the back of the tank and put in a little fish bag so it stayed separated from the big peices of lr so its easier to just put it back in the back sumps once i've moved. I also took out all my bio media and pumps and gave them a good cleaning as well as cleaning the back chambers as well as possible (it had been running for over two years straight so it needed it, yours might not need it as much).

4.Then, since i wasnt keeping my sand due to some hairworms, i took the tank outside (light hood removed), and dumped out all the sand. Once this was done, i dipped a towel in my rubbermaid container to get it wet, and placed it over the back wall to keep the coralline and xenia wet in hopes to keep it alive.

5. I put all of the stuff in my car and went to my new place, got the stand in teh spot i wanted it, put the tank on it, and poured my new live sand in the bottom. Then i started putting the plain lr back in. Once this was done, i mixed up half a tanks worth of fresh saltwater and then put in the lr with corals attached to it. After i had the rock structure the way i liked it, i placed the delicate LPS where i wanted them to be.

6. Lastly i replaced all my carbon, media, and got a new heater because my other one was starting to slack a little on its job (retired after two years, i was happy with it).

After about two days when everything settled on the rocks and sand, i did a good 10% water change with siphoning and turkey basting to free up all the detritis that had settled from the new sand and from inside the rocks.

That's about it!

honestly, that post should be a sticky. cuz i think alot of people could find that info useful. i myself wanted to know to move, and this info was a big help...thnx

yea i changed to a different configuration. A lot more 10,000k than i like but none of the places online had true actinic 03 so i had to settle. It looks okay, but i definitely like the way the colors pop with more actinic. Don't care so much for the faster growth in such a small crowded tank. I havent decided what i will do with lighting when this 6-8 month period is up... depends on where i get into grad school.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got rid of the giant leather, traded it for a nice four headed trumpet frag and some giant purple zoas. Heres a fresh FTS:

fts10_31_08.jpg

newtrumpets.jpg

quickzoa.jpg

thetrio.jpg

And check out this heart shaped green sponge -- they're all over my tank now:

thegreenheartsponge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! Still kickin' ass and takin' names. The wrasse unfortunately went carpet surfing a while back but this guy doesn't really live on the edge like that.

In the back chambers i have (from left to right):

Chamber 1 - Polyester filter fiber, chemi-pure half unit, Fritz Phosphate Remover

Chamber 2 - LR rubble, Sawblade Caulerpa, Fuge light (on back of tank)

Chamber 3 - Stealth 50w heater, Maxi-jet 900, Hydor Flo (on output nozzle)

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

rightsumps.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

heres some new pics. just realized looking at the fts that i have some algae on the back wall. I wonder what's going on... i haven't had algae in this tank in over two years.

ftsdec08.jpg

Acan

bestacanshotyet_sizeedit.jpg

Lame GSP

gspmacrosizeedit.jpg

Baby bubble mush and its' daddy

hadababyitsamushroom.jpg

Andy the Firefish

andythefirefishturnedheadsizeedit.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not many changes this month really, aside from the fact i desperately need a razor blade to get the coralline off my glass...

ftsjanuary09.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yes now that you mention it...

here's some updated stuff:

FTS for March 2009

ftsmarch042009.jpg

Top Down

topdownmarch042009.jpg

Acan and Hammer

redacanandhammer03_02_09.jpg

Plate

platemarch09.jpg