Coral Vue Hydros

Circusordie16's Custom 5 Gallon

circusordie16

circusordie16

pictures as promised. first is the purple monti that i was told is a montipora mollis and second is the superman monti thats gotta regain some of its glory. i have high hopes as the new growth is very good looking. i also got a trochus snail today as i lost one of my astreas about a week ago.

11-20-07004.jpg

11-20-07008.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
circusordie16

thanks toomin, i started out in the hobby with just run of the mill corals but ive sold most of those to other hobbyists and now im only getting the real nice corals that i really want. more micros, some yumas, and some nice zoas are on the list along with some more sps.

• 4 weeks later...
circusordie16

got home from school the other day and found my tank to be in good condition after being under my parents care except for some brutal assaults by my chalice on my birdsnest. the night i got home it had its stomach out a good 2 inches attacking my birdsnest. everything grew pretty fast while i was gone so that was a nice surprise. got bored today so i took some pictures. hoping to get some new stuff over the next few weeks while im home for winter break.

just some zoas

12-18-07001.jpg

a couple pics of my blue ric that keeps growing

12-18-07002.jpg

12-18-07005.jpg

purple monti that showed some good growth over the last couple weeks

12-18-07006.jpg

superman monti thats starting to color up after sustaining an attack by an acan and adjusting to my tank

12-18-07003.jpg

12-18-07004.jpg

my favorite micro that i finally got a good picture of.

12-18-07007.jpg

circusordie16

ill get some more pictures this weekend. been trying to find some nice new stuff but stores keep closing so its tougher. the superman is coloring up. the base is getting nice and blue but the polyps are staying rust colored so hopefully those turn more red soon.

circusordie16

i just made a couple frags from my acan lord for somebody to have next spring. worked out much easier than expected as i just used a chisel and hammer and hit along an already formed crack and then broke that piece in half. they look very angry but thatll happen when you get attacked with a chisel. pictures will come later after i clean the glass.

circusordie16

some pictures: the two frags and the mother colony in the middle

acanfrag001.jpg

the bigger frag

acanfrag003.jpg

the smaller frag

acanfrag002.jpg

the mother colony

acanfrag005.jpg

my acan echinata thats been getting very nice colors lately with all its tentacles out

acanfrag007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

acans are doing great, all healed and regrowing by now, its amazing how hardy they are. im thinking about fragging my micros tomorrow but well see, im real nervous just thinking about it. my blastos arent looking good lately but im not sure why, ive been moving them around a little to see if that helps. going shopping tomorrow, hopefully ill come back with something good and some pictures.

circusordie16

fragged my micros today. it was a scary experience as i took a dremel and chisel to my $100 coral. but it worked out pretty well and the frags look good. made my first real attempt at top down photography too so the results are below.

micro frags and my acro

1-8-08001.jpg

4 micro frags

1-8-08002.jpg

whole bunch of frags that have been made as pieces break off or whatever

1-8-08003.jpg

smaller micro frag i made today

1-8-08004.jpg

larger micro frag i made today

1-8-08005.jpg

my acro

1-8-08006.jpg

my blue micro frag, the colors a little off in this picture

1-8-08007.jpg

the micro mother colony after fragging. too bad theres a light streak running across but it shows the colors well.

1-8-08008.jpg

a few frags of my favorite zoas.

1-8-08009.jpg

circusordie16

thanks ksrinlv. picked up a couple new frags today. almost blew a lot of money on some aussie acans but decided against it. also got a few hermit crabs as i think my cuc needs a boost. although i found a new stomatella baby today so thats always good. ive also decided that my water and the lfs water must be exactly the same because i just dump everything right in without any acclimation and the polyps were fully extended within 5 minutes.

new red monti

1-8-08011.jpg

new acro of some kind. i liked its shape more than its color although its more of a light green than the picture shows

1-8-08010.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

thanks everybody. unfortunately my cameras at home so there wont be new pictures for awhile. but there are some entertaining stories.

i accidentally left one of my hermit crabs in a bag with no water after moving my tank back to school two weeks ago. he was in there for 2 days before i noticed so i threw him back in the tank two days later all mad at myself. and to my surprise, he popped out about 10 seconds later and started walking around after surviving with only the water trapped in his shell.

other than that my acans have taken to eating strange things like strands of chaeto that land on them and these small snails that i have that only come out at night. they eat them shell and all and then spit them out later, its pretty crazy.

• 1 month later...
circusordie16

moved my tank back home for spring break and picked up a nice orange ric today. pictures will come soon!

circusordie16

just a few quick pictures. not too good, sorry.

my new orange ric

3-16-08006.jpg

a hermit crab climbing up some algae on the glass between cleanings

3-16-08005.jpg

one of the acan frags i made starting to spread onto the tile along with a piece of birdsnest i broke off yesterday on accident.

3-16-08007.jpg

circusordie16

got some better pictures today although the colors a little off in some of them. a little bit of a recap from the past couple months. had an issue with my monti caps stn'ing on me and im not sure why really. all the other sps were fine except the caps so i fragged them and some pieces survived. also, i think ive finally got the upper hand on my hair algae problem and i think the blue leg hermits are doing a decent job eating some of it. knock on wood for that.

new projects are gonna be getting some more live rock and getting rid of most of if not all of the frag rack on the left and moving it to the back of the tank or maybe going with the mag-rack idea. im going for more of a complete display tank now although i still want to have room for a fair amount of frags because i like being able to trim things and watch them grow out. also, i want better flow as i really dont think i have enough for my sps although they are growing and seem to be happy for the most part im hoping more flow will maybe increase growth and color. im considering a koralia nano although im not exactly sure how to get optimal flow in this tank because its so long. im thinking a koralia nano in one corner (maybe back left) and keeping one hang on back to keep chaeto in (on the right)? im not sure about this so any suggestions on how to get some kid random flow would be great.

heres the pictures.

better picture of my new ric that i just discovered has at least 2 mouths.

3-17-08001.jpg

chalice thats growing slowly but surely

3-17-08002.jpg

acan frag. you can see one of the the baby polyps poking out.

3-17-08004.jpg

mother colony of that frag

3-17-08005.jpg

encrusting purple monti that has grown very nicely. color is bad in this one, its a much darker brighter purple in person.

3-17-08007.jpg

right side of the tank with some weird color balance going on

3-17-08010.jpg

left side of the tank looking nice and blue

3-17-08012.jpg

full tank shot looking nice and blue

3-17-08013.jpg

circusordie16

new addition, a leng sy monti cap frag. the picture below doesnt show the right colors, its much brighter in person.

3-20-08.jpg

• 1 month later...
circusordie16

finally an update. i left my tank at home for 5 weeks while i finished up school and i jsut got home this weekend. pretty much everything is fine except that my orange monti cap and my red monti digi rtned and i have no idea why. my acros, birdsnest, encrusting montis, and leng sy cap are all fine but those 2 montis bit it. other than that and a slight algae bloom due to my parents not cleaning it as thoroughly everything grew pretty quick for me. other problem is my acros seem to have bleached slightly but i dunno what that could be from so ill have to see how that goes. took some top down pics today, ill add more from the sides in the next few days. the pictures are of the miscellaneous frags on the frag rack i have and of some lps i have growing on the sand. and in other news im gonna get a koralia nano to switch up my flow a bit so well see how that goes.

5-12-08003.jpg

5-12-08004.jpg

5-12-08006.jpg

5-12-08007.jpg

5-12-08008.jpg

5-12-08009.jpg

5-12-08002.jpg

circusordie16

more pictures as promised. went to the store today and found a frag of a pink milli that id been eyeing for awhile so i got that.

orange ric

5-13-08001.jpg

pink yuma looking mad cuz a hermit just trounced it.

5-13-08006.jpg

new milli being blocked by a bunch of stuff but you can see it in the background.

5-13-08010.jpg

and heres some pictures to show growth:

leng sy cap on 3-17-08

3-20-08.jpg

and today

5-13-08008.jpg

acan lord frag on 3-17-08

3-17-08004.jpg

and today, you can see all the baby polyps

5-13-08002.jpg

purple haze monti on 3-17-08

3-17-08007.jpg

and today

5-13-08005.jpg

circusordie16

thanks guys, got my koralia nano today and i really like it. took some fooling with it to get pointing where i wanted but now its good. added a whole lot of flow to the tank so that combined with one ac20 is good i think. added a hanging frag rack on the back wall to take most of my frags and im looking to get either some live rock or marco rocks this weekend to fill up the left side and replace the frag rack there.

Archived