Top Shelf Aquatics

fewskillz goes nano

fewskillz

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some coralline will be nice, too. Half of these rocks were from the bottom of the 180 (they were near the top of the 20H that I'm storing rock in) so they're pretty bare as far as the pretty purple stuff goes. They're nice rocks though and should fill in quickly. I might even give them a little calcium encouragement.

whats the name of the camera

Canon Powershot A495, got it on clearance at RadioShack a few months ago.

Versa-top removed, hood built, egg-crate installed, hood installed. We'll see how the heat does today. I also removed the shot glass and added a few more frags.

I think I'm going to swap out the GSP rock on the left for a different GSP rock that I have. The rock is a more boring shape, but it's a neon GSP and I think it'll brighten up the tank a little more until the rest of the coral spreads.

I started getting a little diatom bloom on the bare bottom and performed my first water change. All of the coral seems to like the light except for the pink ricordea, so I moved it around to the right side of the rockwork and it seems much happier. The blue ric from the shot glass is already coloring back up!

Could be the temp fluctuations? My corals looked unhappy Sunday night. I don't know how much of it was the extended weekend Photoperiod and how much of it was the heat from the extended photoperiod. Everything looked back to normal last night during the normal weekday cycle.

The hood works! Temp only got to 82 last night. Heater is holding the tank steady at 80. I'll take an 80 to 82 temp swing. That'll get better as this crazy-ass summer chills out some since the house AC doesn't really keep up during the day. So I'm happy.

Here's a sketch of the hood. Not much to see. Just something I threw together the other night with some scrap wood.

my10hood.jpg

The halide is screwed into the board that goes across the middle. The vertical supports are what sit on the rim of the tank. The 3 front/side boards hang down an inch to cover the trim of the tank. The miters aren't very pretty because my saw would only go to about 43 degrees, so the gap is big. I guess I'm going to try to fill it in with some putty or something before I paint.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So 150 watts turned out to be a bit much for a 10 gallon with the minimal amount of maintenance I was willing to/had time to give it. So I broke that tank down and moved all of the coral and the black clown to the 180. I bought another black clown from the LFS and will be giving the gimpy orange clown away. No more interracial Occy pair for me.

So, I moved the 150 MH, some rocks, and some sand over to my empty 27 cube.

Added this:

IMG_20120321_221442.jpg

and a pair of Clarkii's, to get this:

IMG_20120401_183643.jpg

The Clarkii's haven't figured out that the carpet won't hurt them, but hopefully they will soon.

Right now flow is an old Koralia Nano and a new Koralia Nano 425. It's not enough, so I'll be replacing those with a 1050 or 1400 soon. I'll probably also add one other fish, something simple and tough like a sixline or a YTD, just for color and movement once the clowns find the anemone.

Archived