ReefCleaners.org

fewskillz goes nano

fewskillz

Very nice!
i love the islands layout!

Thanks! I hate the rock-pile look. My 125 is island-ish, also.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I still would love to know what happened to his female. I went on a two day business trip last July. Everything was fine when I left. Never saw the female again. That was an expensive fish to just disappear. At least I still have the male and the shrimp, they're awesome. I love watching the shrimp in action. He's gonna love the deeper sandbed in this 20. He only had like a half an inch in the old 10, now he's got at least an inch more than he used to.

The pics look good!, and glad everyone settled in without any problems. I lie your rock islands gives a great look without overcrowding the tank. And I feel your pain on the pico light but its friday, and now lets just hope its actually something we are going to want after all this hype, LOL

travisurfer

Awesome Chris. The aquascape looks great- well, everything looks great. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you getting this tank stocked. I never would have though of tilting the big rock downward like that. Good stuff. :)

Thanks Travis. I like the rock that way, it's taller and has a smaller footprint.

Damnit Kim, putting upgrade thoughts in my head. :angry: Now I keep thinking about how if I moved this to my 40b I could get a cherub angel again.

• 4 months later...

I was a slack ass with this tank for awhile and some GHA took over. The house was still a wreck from moving and I was extremely busy with work and other things. I've about got the GHA gone now. All of the corals are fine except for the big colony of RDE zoas. They'll be fine, there's just still algae mixed in with the polyps.

I added a 70w Viper to this tank and an AC70 HOB filter. The HOB is empty except for the heater and some mesh to catch floating GHA chunks. I'll probably pull some chaeto from the 125's fuge to put in there once I'm not trying to catch flying GHA.

I've added a soap dish frag rack for now. I'm planning a 15 gallon frag tank to go on the bottom shelf of this 20's stand. Undecided on plumbing them together as I'd need to buy a return pump and a couple of bulkheads. The rack has a small fungia, a couple of green-striped shrooms, some tiny freebie frogspawn heads, and a small piece of orange monti I'm trying to save.

I'll post pics when the GHA is cleared up a little more. Probably by this weekend after another round of manual removal.

Fish and inverts are all fine. I want to find a porcelain crab and emerald crab but no one ever has any locally.

Damnit Kim, putting upgrade thoughts in my head. :angry: Now I keep thinking about how if I moved this to my 40b I could get a cherub angel again.

Missed that comment. :lol:

Can't wait to see the pics!

Missed that comment. :lol:

Can't wait to see the pics!

Yeah. I think I've convinced myself to not upgrade. I at least got the 40b moved to the storage unit, so hopefully out of site out of mind. We'll see. I still have everything to set that tank back up and a large lack of will-power when it comes to new aquariums.

This 20 needs something blue that swims. The cheap options are blue/green chromis or a yellow tail damsel. I don't think a cherub would be very happy in a crowded 20 high.

• 2 months later...
Deleted User 6

check the floor really well. i just found my pink-bar all dried up on the floor :(

otherwise, he may be hiding under the rocks in the back of the tank.

Saw a hermit munching on what looked like the tail of a yasha goby last night. Not sure what did him in, but moving was too much for him. I'm going to be taking this tank down and starting a new 10 gallon for the contest.

My Contest Thread

They are pretty but he was actually a little boring. Having a pair was cool, they at least interacted with each other. I hate that he died, he was a cool fish. I haven't had great luck with my cool fish this year. My PBT a few months ago and now my yasha. At least I'm done moving for a few years so I wont have to worry about adding that stress on anything new I get.

The rest of the livestock from this tank will be going in the 125 to allow for the start over of the contest tank.

• 5 months later...

Well...back to the nano. This time it's a 15 gallon. Same concept as before, softy reef, natural filtration, lots of flow.

Currently home to the tiny black occy clown. I'll probably add two TBD fish. One might be the YWG from the 55, but probably not. If I'm going to have a shrimp goby I think I want another yasha haze goby or red banded hi-fin. Wouldn't mind a pixie hawkfish... Ideas?

Under the moonlights. Better pictures later.

15gallon2.jpg

I was playing with my Par38. I was curious to see how it would look over the 15. I think a pair of them would look fantastic!

15gallonPAR38.jpg

9 new frags temp acclimating:

15gallonnewfrags.jpg

fewskillz

Thanks. I've had him awhile. He's a pretty personable fish.

The tank is getting a little bit of cyano. I added 3 nassarius snails, 3 ceriths, and 1 margarita snail. I need to go buy salt so I can do a water change. All of my other tanks I just use the free filtered seawater from the university, but with this one being the smallest, and the only full-fledged reef I'm going to go with synthetic salt.

All of my other tanks I just use the free filtered seawater from the university, but with this one being the smallest, and the only full-fledged reef I'm going to go with synthetic salt.

Why, Free filtered sea water should be the bomb! You live in Cali?

fewskillz

It's kind of high in salinity and phosphates. I'd prefer the consistency of a synthetic salt for the biological-filtration-only-reef. It's great stuff for all of the other tanks though. It's saved me a ton of money over the years.

Wilmington, NC. UNC-Wilmington has a kick@$$ Marine Biology program. They have an Aquaculture Facility at one of the local beaches where they filter their own water out of the sound, so they provide it to the public for free. It really helps the local aquarium community.

Yeah I have seen mention of this from a few peeps out in California where I think it is Scripps does the same thing. Wish I was by the ocean. Afraid the only filtered water here would be from the Great Lakes. Probably get an Asian Carp in my batch! :o;)

large_Fishing1.jpg

fewskillz
Probably get an Asian Carp in my batch! :o;)

They have an Unfiltered hose too. Fisherman use it for their bait tanks and such. No telling what little critters through that thing. I'm not sure what kind of pre-filter it goes through. The filtered stuff goes through a few sand filters and gets treated with Ozone.

Archived