SaltCritters.com

my ap24g

modularduck

Hey duck, great tank. I have an AP24 that I've had for over a year, and just haven't set it up....worked on some cabinetry for it today, in fact. Did you ever set up the chamber fuge you mentioned earlier in the thread? If so, could you give some specs and how it's working for you? (e.g. lighting, temps, etc.)

the fuge mod is super easy just take a razor blade to the back of the tank and cut a hole for whatever light in the plastic covering the glass and boom there you go! also you might want to think about how your going to keep the light from bleeding. i just cut the foam filter into the right shape to cover the whole top opening and there you go. i am using one of those 18w dual coral life lights the little ones works well got lots of pods and cheato growth. i keep my tank around 79 and have the 70w sunpod

Wow! (picks jaw up from key board tray) That is is one awesome ap! Don't want to look back in your thread but what lighting are you useing? I have one with the stock pcs and my corals look amazing. But your light seems to have a bluer tint which leads me to think you have mh. I also wish my rock work was like yours as i'm running out of room for corals fast and have only 1/2 of what you have.

thanks man! see above for lighting ;) i got the PC version to and then upgraded when a MH came along i could afford. the 70w does a good job though i have thought about moving up to the 150, if i were going to get more SPS i would do it in a heartbeat but i'm pretty happy with LPS and softies and the few sps frags i got seem to be doing just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
modularduck

so more changes in the last week or so. just not quite getting the flow quite right and not liking the way it looked after the last move so i made some changes to the lay out and added a few things. let me know what you think. new pics....

FTS

DSCF1255.jpg

nem and zoas

DSCF1259.jpg

rics

DSCF1258.jpg

new acan

DSCF1262.jpg

zoas pagoda and crab

DSCF1269.jpg

and the hulk!!

DSCF1267.jpg

so current fish:

1-potters

2-false percs

1-lawn mower blenny

1-catalina goby

way more than would be adviseable but since i do 15-20% WC every week and the skimmer and fuge are going strong it all seems to be ok. parameters are stable and have been although i will be getting rid of the false percs soon as i find them somewhat boring....lol

modularduck

So here is a quick current CUC list

1-giant emerald crab

1- red minthrax crab

3- white and red porcelain crabs

1- blue and orange porcelain crab

8- various hermit crabs

10-various snails

1- small serpent star

1- coral banded shrimp

1- peppermint shrimp

1-sand sifting star

2- conchs

there maybe more but this is just off the top of my head. slowly i am transitioning many of the small coral frags out of the tank and moving to larger ones as room is freed up in my other tank. after the first tank move i made a fatal error in that when i sat the tank back up i used totally new water none of the water that had come out and the change while not really big was enough that most of my prior rics melted down. so now i am slowly bigging to replace them. i will get some more pics of the up here soon.

• 3 weeks later...
modularduck

So yet again i found myself not happy with aquascaping so last night durring water change a new one was born took pics but didn't get them uploaded yet so tonight hopefully new pics

modularduck

the reworking continues...i think its about time i just put together a pack of stuff and gave it away....to make room for other things. anyway more pics...

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1329.jpg

new FTS

DSCF1328.jpg

• 1 month later...
modularduck

So the tank got moved again yesterday, long story, this tank has actually been moved 3 times in the last 6 months.... lame. So this time i thought i would use plastic storage totes instead of plastic bags i made some deviders for the inside of the totes. with differing size compartments for each coral, this worked great. just filled them half way with water and put corals in each spot. the fish and other livestock went into their own 5 gallon bucket. I had the entire system torn down and set back up in just over 4 hours and drip acclimated the fish for 2 hours almost, checked parameters and put fish in. But somehow maybe from the stress my potters angel died. he will be sorely missed. :( on the upside all corals are looking good and got rid of (to LFS) the nem i had. well pics coming soon.

• 5 weeks later...
modularduck

so here are some new pics of the tank a month after move number 3 i have traded a few things in and got some different things.

current fish:

Small Cherub angel

Large lawnmower blenny

True perc

Royal Grama

anyway heres the pics.

FTS

DSCF1365.jpg

SPS

DSCF1384.jpg

zoas

DSCF1380.jpg

Various LPS

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1364.jpg

i wish i had a better camera this piece is so much more blue than it shows here

DSCF1377.jpg

Edit...acan turning new colors...i changed to 20K bulbs and it makes such a huge differance!!!

DSCF1371.jpg

• 3 months later...

So new light on tank this last weekend i build a hood and installed a 175w mogul based light so i have been on a WAY shortened light cycle for the moment. I will post pics soon. i think i might trade in a bunch of stuff and change the tank up a bit, maybe time for a new direction.

• 3 years later...

so this tank is no more...hasn't been for about 2 1/2 years, but soon it will be reborn in new and exciting ways...stay tuned for part 2.

Archived