SaltCritters.com

my ap24g

modularduck

modularduck

So this morning i put in the bulk head and put in the new MJ900 in the 2nd rear chamber. i also redid the aquascaping as i realized that i couldn't clean the glass in the previous configuation in all places. i also picked up a emerald crab and a small ric frag from LFS. all tank parameters are looking really good and bloom is starting to receed, i have noticed several small what look like centipedes wondering if they will grow into big bad worms. xenia is doing quite well and i moved the frog spawn to different location and it seems happier now. (much bigger) still debating turning chamber 1 into a fuge. but for now i am content with the way the system is working. finally got the weirs set for good skimming action. here are a couple of new shots of the tank...

i292707_DSCF0657.JPG[/url]

i292716_DSCF0660.JPG[/url]

i292729_DSCF0659.JPG[/url]

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
modularduck

must have more corals......anyone want to trade analog synth for frags? lol

modularduck

well everything i hae read about xenia growing like a weed is true last night i noticed the small single stalk of xenia a had gotten not more than a week ago has begun to split into 2 now there are to distinct heads, crazy. also added a very small(like 8-10 polyps) piece of zoo rock with really cool looking light blue and violet. although after adding it and a few hours the polyps on it started to spew this weird green stuff out there little mouths, is this caused by stress?

modularduck

update: tank is coming along quite well i have lots of copepods now on glass and swimming around tank (thanx lgreen) and the snails and hermits are doing well. though i need to get some more hermits current CUC

3 - mexican turbos

3 - nassarius

4 - dwarf red hermits

1 - bumble bee

1 - emerald - named seattle

i think a few more is needed. thoughts? everything seems to be going as planned.

current corals

1 - candy cane (5 heads)

1 - small frog spawn (noticed what looks like a new head forming)

1 - assorted zoo rock (maybe 20 polyp)

1 soon to be 2 - xenia

1 - baby blue zoo frag (not sure of kind, 20 polyp or less)

here is pic of new zoos:

i317692_DSCF0721.JPG

modularduck

this weekend i reworked the rock a bit and changed the position of a few things. also go a buble anenome very cool, though it went right under one of the rock formations and wedged its self in there, but i figure if it feel at home there fine. i also noticed my frog spawn is adding new little heads like 4 of them very cool. on the bad side i saw 3 little what i belive to be bristle worms. anyone had any luck with coral banded shrimp i hear they eat bristles....

this weekend i reworked the rock a bit and changed the position of a few things. also go a buble anenome very cool, though it went right under one of the rock formations and wedged its self in there, but i figure if it feel at home there fine. i also noticed my frog spawn is adding new little heads like 4 of them very cool. on the bad side i saw 3 little what i belive to be bristle worms. anyone had any luck with coral banded shrimp i hear they eat bristles....

bristleworms are fine, they will serve as a cleanup crew.

modularduck

thanks EZ, right on, i will not worry to much then i left out i also got really cool dwarf cucumber only about 3" long super cool looking bright pink and purple with yellow and white mouth parts will post a pic when i get a good one.

SoCal Reefer

cucumber eh? dont those release toxins if they get stressed or are those the sea apples i always get those mixed up

modularduck

UPdate....so it has been awhile since i last posted mostly thanks to my work load but in the mean time there have been some new additions to the tank. i got a cool new polyp rock, not sure if zoas or paly's but i will post image tonight and im sure you guys can help me id them also some new really cool purple rics that were in the wrong frag bin at LFS so i got them for $5. i guess it pays to spend copious amounts of time looking through everything..lol. also i added a skunk cleaner and a small yellow clown gobie. i am now beginning a new phase with may tank, and that is the fight against apistasia (sp.) from what i hear they can be very invasive and kill other corals so they must go any ideas on killing the little bastards or perhaps something that will eat them? pics to be posted tonight of new stuff.

modularduck

new pics...

new rics look liek this

i364647_DSCF0733.JPG

new FTS

i364652_DSCF0734.JPG

new palys? or zoas?

i364669_DSCF0735.JPG

pic of other new rics also you can see the new growth on the frog spawn!

i364687_DSCF0736.JPG

and last but not least the little yellow clown gobie over looks his new watery kingdom

i364691_DSCF0737.JPG

i think you can see the skunk cleaner underneath in cave in FTS kicking it with the bubble.. let me know what you think.

modularduck
cucumber eh? dont those release toxins if they get stressed or are those the sea apples i always get those mixed up

so after some research i have found the it is true that sea cucumbers do and can release toxins that are quite bad and infact what i have is a sea apple which are quite harmless filter feeders.

modularduck

so as of this last weekend i now own, thanks to my girl and my best friend,

1 large torch

1 GSP frag

1 PSP frag

1 small frag brain coral

1 fire fish

not so bad for waking up from a nap to find loved ones with a box of coral for you. i will post pics tonight hopefully...

modularduck

so here is a pic of the PSP and the new torch it really is pretty good size. you can also see the sea apple waiting for food to float by

i390290_DSCF0767.JPG

night with GSP

i390298_DSCF0764.JPG

FTS from tonight just starting to look ok now.

i390334_DSCF0750.JPG

i have found myself constantly rearranging as i add new stuff, is this bad for the corals? i am quite happy to say though that i now have coraline growing on the back wall of the tank though. thoughts on moving stuff?

edit: had double images

i have found myself constantly rearranging as i add new stuff, is this bad for the corals? i am quite happy to say though that i now have coraline growing on the back wall of the tank though. thoughts on moving stuff?

Well, I guess some minor re-arranging is OK. But I would watch out major re-arranging on an established tank. I got frustrated with some hair algae a month and a half ago and did some major re-arranging on my nearly 1 year old tank. Well I kicked up so much organic junk in the water that I depleted the oxygen supply over night and killed off a lot of my fish. Because of that I think I basically restarted my tank ... I am fighting brown algae/diatoms right now :mellow:

modularduck
Well, I guess some minor re-arranging is OK. But I would watch out major re-arranging on an established tank. I got frustrated with some hair algae a month and a half ago and did some major re-arranging on my nearly 1 year old tank. Well I kicked up so much organic junk in the water that I depleted the oxygen supply over night and killed off a lot of my fish. Because of that I think I basically restarted my tank ... I am fighting brown algae/diatoms right now :mellow:

yeah i never move more than just small frags around to make room for new ones. the only stuff that is not movable is the big LR pieces since there more or less how i want them. i never really stir up the sand or anything when i move stuff although it would be quite easy to do, i am more concerned with giving my corals light shock. also having hell of a time keeping food in my bubbles tentacles as everytime i put a piece of silversides in there the everything from the cleaner shrimp to the hermits pull it out. perhaps i should try a distraction of some pieces.

damn that sucks sea, i hope it dies down soon!

having hell of a time keeping food in my bubbles tentacles as everytime i put a piece of silversides in there the everything from the cleaner shrimp to the hermits pull it out. perhaps i should try a distraction of some pieces.

damn that sucks sea, i hope it dies down soon!

Thanks for the well wishes.

As far as feeding your BTA, yes distraction is the key. That is exactly what I did when I fed mine. I also mainly fed mine mysis and krill, so I would shoot some to my hermits/shrimp, then shoot a bunch to my BTA with a turkey baster. They (had two because my original split in two) were always well fed :)

modularduck
Thanks for the well wishes.

As far as feeding your BTA, yes distraction is the key. That is exactly what I did when I fed mine. I also mainly fed mine mysis and krill, so I would shoot some to my hermits/shrimp, then shoot a bunch to my BTA with a turkey baster. They (had two because my original split in two) were always well fed :)

sweet! i will give that a try. i bet that would work great for the torch too! thanks man.

modularduck
Looking good! :)

thanx. this weekend should be good i will be getting more stuff. will post new pics.

current list of stuff

11 hermits

1 bumble bee

3 nass

3 turbos

1 yellow clow gobie

1 fire fish

1 emerald

1 skunk cleaner

corals

zoas (more than i want to list)

yellow tip torch

candy cane

favite brain

hammer frag

varou rics

GSP

PSP

planned adds for this weekend

1 pistol shrimp

1 YWG (maybe)

blasto

maybe a leather of two

modularduck

got a couple new corals this last weekend including a really nice piece of lobophylia? i think it was called, very cool. also got a tiger pistol and a goby that has a japanese name i don't remeber. but looks like a fire fish with a long dorsal fin. i will post pics tonight.

got a couple new corals this last weekend including a really nice piece of lobophylia? i think it was called, very cool. also got a tiger pistol and a goby that has a japanese name i don't remeber. but looks like a fire fish with a long dorsal fin. i will post pics tonight.

Yasha?

modularduck

yeah thats it very cool looking fish. hes still being a bit bashful but he/she has started to come out. the pistol on the other hand has been busy building his "dream house" that spans the tank. lol

yeah thats it very cool looking fish. hes still being a bit bashful but he/she has started to come out. the pistol on the other hand has been busy building his "dream house" that spans the tank. lol

Heh .. yeah my pistol shrimp has cave exits on each end of the tank.

Very cool on getting the Yasha. I am thinking about getting another striped hi-fin goby for my pistol down the road. I don't think my yellow watchman has any interest in my little striped pistol shrimp.

Pictures when the goby gets more brave!

modularduck

Pics of yasha for sure when he comes out maybe later tonight saw him for about 20 min last night. was to busy watching blissfully as he swam around the tank. here though are some pics from this evening.

new leather and ham of of firefish who wants to be in every pic.

i419723_DSCF0775.JPG

here is where the pistol and yasha live. also you can see new sun coral.

i419754_DSCF0776.JPG

bad macro shot of zoo.

i419766_DSCF0778.JPG

left side of tank.

i419771_DSCF0780.JPG

FTS. you can see lobophylia really well.

i419776_DSCF0781.JPG

right side of tank.

i419788_DSCF0782.JPG

i am wondering if i can just cut the lobo below the tissue line as the stalk is extremely long didn't really fit anywhere so it is just kind stuck right in there. the photos don't do it justice. really pretty.

Archived