Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dang snails

sjwalton

I have a 10g with 6lbs live sand and 13 lbs live rock, I originally had 2 snails but they kicked the bucket within three days of each other. I bought three more and one has just died. Each time one dies i see these little worm looking things crawling in the shells. I assumed they were scavengers, but am getting suspicious. The temp is constant and the salinity is also constant. Any ideas or suggestions? The worms are brownish-red, have little bristles all down each side and are about 1 inch long. Help

Guest AbSoluTc

Those are Fire Worms AKA Bristtle worms.  They are scavangers.  They sense death/dying and will eat anything that falls into that catagory.  They will NOT seek out living things and eat them.  Only dead or dying.  Its the process.  Don't worry about it :)  If your snails are dying, you might want to check you water paremeters.  Make sure everything is up to par.

yeah check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and make sure nothins outa wack

(Edited by Metznreef at 4:25 pm on June 27, 2002)

I thought bristle worms are bad, and will munch on corals.  Is that true?  And how do you get rid of them besides buying a pseudochromis?

Guest AbSoluTc

bristtle worms are NOT bad.  If you want to get rid of them, you might as well take your tank down and get out of the hobby.  Seriously.

I'm sorry absolutc  :blush:  but i do remember reading in a few books and several sites that bristleworms are bad; by eating corals, and they can hurt you with the bristles.   If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. :chainsaw:

Guest AbSoluTc

Im sure you did.  It was probably Dr. Rons website, Eric Bornemans "report" and Julians Sprungs book!  All of which - SUCK!  I hate them all!

Dr Ron needs to stop eating his specimens and go on a diet.

Eric Borneman needs to get out of the sun because it obviously is meesing with his head, whats left of it

last but not least..

Julian Sprung needs to spring back to his 7-11 job as noone will want to pay 12 bux for a pack of 5 algae sheets for tangs.  His 2 little fishies business - should sink.

I think I am done.

After you've studied marine biology for 20 or more years, then you might have some sort of right to go talking down on others who have.  Until then try to show a bit more respect AbsolutC.

As for the bristleworms, a lot of literature from the earliest days of reefkeeping will tell you they are bad and must be eliminated in order to keep a healthy setup.  But in recent years bristleworms have lost their reputation as harmful creatures.  Although there are a few (not really commonly seen) species that could be troublesome.

What kind of snails are you buying, by the way?

Lunchbucket

absolutc well if they are the "experts" and they don't know sh*t then who does and what should we go by?  where do you think most of the liturature and books that your read or do read for information on your tank come from?  those people that you just mentioned that suck.  if you didn't use any of thier stuff you wouldn't have a clue on how to care for a thing.  yeah i agree a lot of times they get to high on themselves and stuff like that but give them some credit you wouldn't be in this hobby if it wasn't for them!!!!!

anyhow, as for you question.  bristleworms are fine but some (very uncommon) are bad.  i would leave all of them as they are an important part of a mature stable system.

how are you acclimating these snails?  i bet that is the fault for your deaths.  snails are very sensitive to changes in pH, salinity, and other paramiters and need to be acclimated very slowly over a fairly long time.  

i personally acclimate them about 1.5-2hrs by using a drip acclimation so they don't get shocked and die.  this death can happen days later

try the long acclimation and see

Lunchbucket

I have a question for you guys... :)

I have bristle worms in my 10g nano, and of course, quite small. I'm going to be setting up a refugium here in the next few days, and I was thinking about getting a bristle worm trap, and moving a few over to the refugium after it has finished cycling.

Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Lunchbucket

i would add bristles to a refugium they are great in there.

just use a turkey baster to suck them up...works for me!

Lunchbucke

SJW.... what lunch said.

TO THE REST OF YOU SILLY REEFERS...LOL

I agree and dissagree.

ABS is correct about some so called "experts" I have nailed them doubbling back on things they have said that were taken as "Gospel" and If it wasnt for the fact that they have this magical rainbow "reef God" aura, they would have been flamed back to the stone age. This whole hobby is changing so rapidly that no one really knows for sure what is right or wrong, only what is in their experience. Being a Fish Transshipper I have seen everything unimaginable possible and the

"stereotypes of fish " and coral habits are shattered in my world.

Shiet I have a lion fish that eats DOG FOOD, and a Clownfish that eats(and HATES)  Xenia, yet will nest in a Colt coral, an Algae crab that cleans fish and countless other oddities.

Linty I have a degree in Biological Aquatic Engineering... I dont care if people have 20 years exp and paper on the wall, an idiot is still an idiot. I have done and handled more fish in a week than some people have in a life time... does it make me better than some one with JUST a HUGE wealth of knowledge on Chaimbered Nautlus? no. It does make me able to field questions Just as good as some one who has a "Bilboard With flashing lights" name like Sprung"

LUNCH I agree 100 % about the snails being highly sensitive. as far as the "spurts" are concerned.... Ive read them all. All together you have to pick and choose the best from all of them to make one "SUPERSPERT"

;;;;;; as I look at over 40 books on the shelf;;;;;;;

Hmmmmmmmm...    LOL

PS I HATE MIKE PALLETTA  his book blew chunks... he should stick to writing articles and pushing MARC WEIS Products... he is their Poster Boy now....

Sorry, but I'd go with the person with experience over the person with a degree.

On the other hand, as you mentioned a lot of people don't always have as much experience as they appear to, and it's true that (for example) 10 years experience in studying plant cells doesn't make you a gardener.  

I don't mean to be critical Dave but from that post you don't come off as the kind of person I'd be comfortable taking advice from.  

Archived