Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED/Wiring Experts needed! Razor LED board

kveekx

Hey nano-reef I have had a razor led board laying around(pictured)

40irjsr.jpg

I was wondering how the wiring would need to go for me to have a cheap Razor nano. Incase the pic is too small the screw down wire things on the side say A+ and B+ on 1 side and A- and B- on the other. A is the white channel and B is blue. Thats all I know about it really. I would like to use these drivers with it but Im not sure how.

http://www.rapidled.com/0-10v-dimmable-nano-driver-with-potentiometer/

I think that would work.

Not 100% sure. Not at my computer to bring up datasheets.

Thanks for imput! Heres the table I think your looking for

rykPio0.jpg

Would I just put each end of the wire from the driver on opposite sides?

Based on some quick math that should provide enough forward voltage for your needs.

You will want to connect the + terminal of the drivers to the + terminal on the board for a channel then connect the - terminal of the driver to the - teminal of the board with the same letter. easy peasy.

Based on some quick math that should provide enough forward voltage for your needs. You will want to connect the + terminal of the drivers to the + terminal on the board for a channel then connect the - terminal of the driver to the - teminal of the board with the same letter. easy peasy.

Sweet! This will be as cheep and quick as I thought!

Not necessarily related, but those violets are the EXACT SAME as the ones I got from leds-global.com. Holy cow.

Should work fine IMO. As long as you have the correct voltage, the leds will light up.

Not necessarily related, but those violets are the EXACT SAME as the ones I got from leds-global.com. Holy cow.

Should work fine IMO. As long as you have the correct voltage, the leds will light up.

Could you tell me how to calculate the correct voltage? I used to know but now I dont :(

Could you tell me how to calculate the correct voltage? I used to know but now I dont :(

V(pwrspply) >= V(led) * (number of leds)

This is assuming the - of the leds are connected to the + on the next one. That is "series" wiring. The other type of wiring, "parallel", is where you wire the leds' + together and the leds' - together. Then, each led gets the full voltage of the power supply, but draws extra current.

So 3 leds in series might draw 10.8v and 700ma. Those same 3 leds would draw 3.7v and 2100ma is wired in parallel.

V(pwrspply) >= V(led) * (number of leds)

This is assuming the - of the leds are connected to the + on the next one. That is "series" wiring. The other type of wiring, "parallel", is where you wire the leds' + together and the leds' - together. Then, each led gets the full voltage of the power supply, but draws extra current.

So 3 leds in series might draw 10.8v and 700ma. Those same 3 leds would draw 3.7v and 2100ma is wired in parallel.

now I remember learning this in physics last year! haha Thanks for the refresher. It looks like its a series circut.

If you look carefully at the board see if one of the positive terminals you should be able to follow little ridges on the board to an led through all the leds on that channel then make it to the negative terminal. If the ridges branch off then theres a parallel circuit. I cannot see much of the circuit from the board because of the lighting. I can tell you that it looks needlessly complicated though.

The original power supply for the Nano (60W) has an output of 15V 5A (Which is 75W) which supports the idea these strings run in parallel at some point.

On the other hand the 160W version (2.66 times the power for Three times the LEDs) outputs 36V at 5.9A (212.4W or 2.832 times the wattage at 2.4 times voltage and 1.18 times current)

I would calculate that Channel A would need about 18V to operate at 700mA if all leds are in series. Channel B is closer to 25V.

If it is run in parallel I would imagine that the alphanumeric code to the top left of the diodes have something to do with it the strings order while the lets to the top left are indicative of the color that's supposed to be there CW: Cool White, WW: Warm White, DB: Deep (royal) Blue, P: Purple (Violet), SB: Something (solid maybe?) Blue.

Those letters to the top left also give us clues that the 10,000K board was produced first and because it's more economic the lettering wasn't changed to make the boards for the 16,000K model.

If you look carefully at the board see if one of the positive terminals you should be able to follow little ridges on the board to an led through all the leds on that channel then make it to the negative terminal. If the ridges branch off then theres a parallel circuit. I cannot see much of the circuit from the board because of the lighting. I can tell you that it looks needlessly complicated though.

The original power supply for the Nano (60W) has an output of 15V 5A (Which is 75W) which supports the idea these strings run in parallel at some point.

On the other hand the 160W version (2.66 times the power for Three times the LEDs) outputs 36V at 5.9A (212.4W or 2.832 times the wattage at 2.4 times voltage and 1.18 times current)

I would calculate that Channel A would need about 18V to operate at 700mA if all leds are in series. Channel B is closer to 25V.

If it is run in parallel I would imagine that the alphanumeric code to the top left of the diodes have something to do with it the strings order while the lets to the top left are indicative of the color that's supposed to be there CW: Cool White, WW: Warm White, DB: Deep (royal) Blue, P: Purple (Violet), SB: Something (solid maybe?) Blue.

Those letters to the top left also give us clues that the 10,000K board was produced first and because it's more economic the lettering wasn't changed to make the boards for the 16,000K model.

I noticed the lettering too, there are 2 RBs where it says CW. It looks like it runs parallel at a few spots now that I look closer. Would the drivers mentioned in the first post work? That's the only part Im still wondering about. Thanks everyone for all the help so far!

MaxpectMCPCBARRLCircuitDiagram_zps00a6e3

After staring obsesively at the board I think this is a close aproximation of a Circuit Diagram for the board.

Honestly looking at it and comparing it to the drivers minimum requirements and the voltage requests of the XT-E series I don't think that channel A will have a high enough voltage request to meet the minimum requirements of the driver. Channel B would probably be fine.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/misogi/media/MaxpectMCPCBARRLCircuitDiagram_zps00a6e383.jpg.html'>MaxpectMCPCBARRLCircuitDiagram_zps00a6e3

After staring obsesively at the board I think this is a close aproximation of a Circuit Diagram for the board.

Honestly looking at it and comparing it to the drivers minimum requirements and the voltage requests of the XT-E series I don't think that channel A will have a high enough voltage request to meet the minimum requirements of the driver. Channel B would probably be fine.

Thanks, Ill keep looking for drivers then.

Get some Meanwell LDD-700HWs and a power souce. They'll work for this. If you snatch up Ben's typhon controller and you can do sunrise and sunset with it since LDD drivers are PWM driven.

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/meanwell-ldd-700hw-led-driver/

Drivers

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/180w-48v-3-75a-dc-power-supply/

Power Supply.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340698-diy-led-stuff-all-needs-to-go/

Ben's Sale Thread.

Get some Meanwell LDD-700HWs and a power souce. They'll work for this. If you snatch up Ben's typhon controller and you can do sunrise and sunset with it since LDD drivers are PWM driven.

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/meanwell-ldd-700hw-led-driver/

Drivers

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/180w-48v-3-75a-dc-power-supply/

Power Supply.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340698-diy-led-stuff-all-needs-to-go/

Ben's Sale Thread.

Shoot :( Just minutes too late. I JUST placed a order with Rapid for a new full set up! Thanks for all the help though

Ill be able to take that info into future led set ups!

• 6 months later...

So I take you never went thru with wiring this up ?

That would be nice for the guy asking about the Fluval Edge 6 gallon thread, couple threads down.

CNCReef still has EVil's(NanoCustom's whatever) EDGE 6 heatsink for sale.

Archived