Coral Vue Hydros

dweakl01's 20 Long

dweakl01

I am going to move my 30 gallon set-up into a 20 Long with drilled overflow and sump/refugium area. The pics below are the first step. Painting the back of the 20 Long. I am still contemplating whether or not I should attempt drilling it myself or not. Anyway, Krylon Fusion blue background follows. Enjoy.

The victim...

20L_0.jpg

Another angle of the victim...

20L_1.jpg

Tape your victims well...

tape0.jpg

Taped and papered, like a good pastrami sandwich to go...

tape1.jpg

First coat...

1stcoat.jpg

Second coat...

2nd_coat.jpg

Third coat...

3rdcoat_1.jpg

More to follow when they become available.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 20 Long when I lived in Louisville and I loved it. I gave the whole set-up to a friend of mine when I moved up here. I want to begin focusing on SPS, so the downsize enables me to get the shallow reef feel and get more punch from the MH. Volume wise it won;t be a downsize because I'll use a 10 or a 20 L for a sump, so the volume will be there, just a smaller display. Clean with all the garbage hidden below. You guys coming on the 27th?

Just a little advice...there was no need to put the paper and cover up the glass when painting. It won't get on it. It will go just on the side you are painting...unless of course you mess up...

Coming along nicely

Yeah, I know, but it was breezy in the garage so I had the paper to cover and "blow-over" from the breeze. Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sounds like it will be a nice setup! I'm planning on the 27th for sure. Don't know about the wife and kid yet,but I'll let you know.

Rob

Alright all you sump experts out there. The 20 long shown above will be plumbed to a 30 gallon sump/fuge. Any issues with the measurements on the drwaing below? I know its not to scale, but the measurements are what I am mainly concerned about.

sump1.JPG

looks like a decent start for a sump, but i'm not sure that the way you situated your baffles in the drawing is indicative of how you actual want them. if that's the way you're planning to run them, i don't think the baffles will really do too much. you would need the raise the 9" baffle so that it actually would work as a bubble trap. if you don't do that, then you don't really need the baffles. :D

are you planning on running a skimmer? if so, you might want to think about adding a skimmer box into the sump as well.

the frag area seem quite large, as well. 13"x9" is a heckuva large space for frags. :D maybe increase the size of you fuge section, as bigger is always better when it comes to refugiums.

there are lots of things you can do, but this is definitely a good start...just re-think the baffles if this is the plan you really want to stay with.

I lived in Louisville from December of 2000 until November of 2003. I lived off Westport Rd. out in the East End. I used to go to the Feeder's Supply there across from the Summit all time time. Sometimes I'd trek downtown to Sandy's but not often. Nice town...I miss the weather.

dweak, any reef clubs out your way? I'm in Lancaster County and run down to Phoenixville, www.SV-SEA.ORG. Drilling your 20 should be a snap. We drilled a 10 gallon I had at one of our meetings. Just go to our site and find the link for projects or diy. I think one of them goes to the tank drilling article.

None really, that I know of. I haven't been searching any out though. I spend a bit of time on the NCPARS forum on ReefCentral, but you probably are already familiar with them. Hey, since you're so close you should think about my Reef B Que...see below...

"Hey all! I will be hosting a "Reef B Que" at my house in York, PA on August 27th. We'll begin sometime around noon with a trip to "That Fish Place" in Lancaster then head back to my house for burgers, hotdogs, etc. If you're interested in coming, PM or e-mail me. Spouses and kids are encouraged to attend. Bring a dish of food and any frags you want to swap. Should be a nice time."

mattgreene22

dweakl01 - I'm not sure if I'm saying somewhat the same as yosh...but again...the baffles.

I'd raise the middle baffle on the entry side bubble trap...actually make it longer...so that it's stil just 1-2 inches off the bottom...but higher that both baffles on either side of it. This will ensure the water flows through the baffles in case you don't estimate your flow exactly right...which could lead to a water level in your fuge/frag area that is higher than the middle bubble-trap baffle. If the overall water level gets higher than the middle baffle of the bubble trap...water won't need to pass through the bubble trap to move forward.

And, unless you're determining the sections' heights for skimmer specs....I'd get the baffles higher overall. The higher the baffle...the more water in your sump and the more system water volume you have. However, don't use it all...you wouldn't want a power-outage to let your inlet and return drainage overflow the sump.

For baffle heights, maybe go....(Inlet to Return): 14, 15.5, 12, 11, 10. This would give you well over 4g worth of airspace should the power go out....and is likely enough unless your lines to/from the tank are really long and large.

Lastly, you may want some type of screening/teeth on the last baffle to keep macro out of your pump section. Hope this helps.

Looks like I'm going to end up drilling my 20L myself. I used Odog's link above, bought a generic dremel- $8, 5 diamond cutting discs-$9 and 2 diamond sanding drums-$4 from Harbor Frieght. I drilled a 10 gallon I had sitting around without any issues. Its easy. If I can drill a tank and not break it, anyone can.

I'm still contemplating whether or not I'm going to build an overflow box or boxes, but my plan is to have 2 x 1" overflows at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the 1". This should give me about 239 gph per hole at 1/2 and 293 gph per hole at 3/4 (thanks wetworx101 for the rates). In a 20L tank this is 48x turnover at 1/2 of the 1" and almost 60x turnover at 3/4 of the inch. That's a hell of alot of turnover, but that's what I want. I want to begin to keep SPS.

Ok, I began "drilling" (its actually cutting) the bulkheads for the 20L. Pics are below. One bulkhead done, one to go...its getting dark outside.

Getting ready...

ready.jpg

Holes drwan...

preparing.jpg

Beginning to score the hole...

starting.jpg

Scored well all the way around...

scored.jpg

From the inside...

from_the_inside.jpg

Done...

finished.jpg

After grinding...

ground.jpg

Bulkhead in.

bulkhead_in2.jpg

Bulkhead in.

bulkhead_in.jpg

Thanks. I've still got one more to do tomorrow, but I've got the hang of it now. Its actually quite easy if you take your time.

how many bits did you go through? i have one of those diamond wheels.

what size bulkheads are you using for your holes? i have one 1 inch for a drain/overflow, and 2 1/2 inchers for returns. i was planning on doing this with a 29 gallon and a mag 9 or mag 7 with Ys coming into the tank out of each return hole

Archived