Pod Your Reef

Nassarius VIBEX snails - great NANO-sized detritus-eater

Caesar777

These are the white and tan groovy-shelled ones: little tropical submarines that eat mostly detritus, and occasionally algae. They burrow and stir up the surface of the sandbed without eating all the beneficial critters within. From the Florida Keys, they're perfect for our warmwater reef tanks. Small, great for nanos, won't knock things over like larger, clumsier snails would. Ideal for tanks that rely on heavy feedings (LPS, especially) or which have many fish.

Personally, I think they're prettier than their temperate black counterparts, and, from my experience, they're longer-lived. 10 snails for $15 shipped priority, or 20 for $25. (Basically a dollar each plus $5 for priority.) Generally hard to come by, most people sell them at $2-4 apiece, not including shipping.

Most resources recommend 1 snail per 1-2 gallons of tank volume; the heavier the bioload and the rate of feedings, the more snails you'll want. (And if you don't feed your corals often, or don't have fish, then you don't need too many of these).

Hmm, I'd say around 60-70. What do you have to trade?

They're medium-sized, not super-tiny. They generally grow to around 3/4", maybe almost an inch.

Well, I have nearly every kind of zoo on the planet--not really, but I do have a LOT--but I'm always looking for big, bright ones. NO brown, not even a tiny bit. I LOVE colorful protopalythoa, if you have any of those. I have pinks with green centers, emerald green PPE-types, purple PPE-types, a few others.

Yeah, I'll try to get some in a day or two. They just look like regular vibex.

A dollar each plus $5 for priority mail, $10 total.

Yup. I'm PM you my Paypal address.

Got it. Everyone's snails will go out soon...Might have to be Monday, but that's the latest.

I'll take ten too..let me know if that works and I will get off a paypal payment to you as soon as I hear back from you.

Everyone, my PM box is clear now..Please re-send your messages. Sorry!--Wow, I leave for an hour and I have twenty new messages! Got notices that my box was full but PM's were coming from: icenine, johnj, BoraBora, Rott.

Okay, so far I have four people each buying ten snails. Can do another few lots.

Yup, I know. They'll go out next week.

• 2 weeks later...

so where are they now??? I need to know as I had you ship them to my work, and obviosuly I won't be there over the weekend, so I need better communication to know if they will arrive when I am not there.

Archived