Pod Your Reef

macro in back of NC

bowfront26

Anybody have macro growing in the back chambers of their nano with just the stock lights(no custom fuge light)?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I can't say for sure, I don't think it can be done.

I tried it with Chaeto in the back of my original Nano Cube, and it turned white and disintegrated after a few weeks.

ive had cheato in the back for the past 2 months. it's still green. no fuge light, altho i'm looking into installing one to see if i can make the chaeto grow better.

Hi..I"m working on a fuge light in the back sump that avoids all this rewiring/hood refit stuff. I'll let you know if it works and if the temps on the water don't go up. SH

Originally posted by steelhealr

Hi..I"m working on a fuge light in the back sump that avoids all this rewiring/hood refit stuff. I'll let you know if it works and if the temps on the water don't go up. SH

What do you plan on doing?

Hi..I posted this as a separate thread but here is my 'mod'. I attached a submersible egglite

nano5.jpg

to the hood over the back middle chamber.

nano6.jpg

It fits perfectly between the fans. As a temporary hookup, I connected it with Velcro. My 24G Nano has the stock lighting. I started my dry run with FW and the temp settled in at 78.9 degrees. I then turned down the heater, connected the 'fuge' light and then the hood lights. After 8 hours, the water temp dropped to 73 degrees, ie, it appears that the halogen light is not contributing heat to the water. I checked the rubber housing. It is hot, but, not overly soft. The surrounding hood is not hot. Unless there is enough heat to ignite Velcro, this looks good. The only question now remaining is will it be enough light to support macroalgae (it's about 3000K). Is there any advantage to actually submerging the light in the chamber and testing? SH

Soonerfan51

I was wondering if this might be possible, I have used these leds as my moonlights, the one with the 3 bulbs. http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

Could you use one of the clear led's fixtures in the back of the nanocube and submerge it? They claim to be completely waterproof, and they are quite bright!Just a thought. ANy info would be appreciated. -Mark

Interesting....today...I turned off the heater and submerged the light to see what the heat contribution would be. Afterall, if the light can stay 'submerged', that would negate having to worry about the heat on the hood. So far....the water temp without my heater on is hangin' steady at 76.2. This is getting better all the time. The heater would only have to make up the 2 degrees of differnce. If the light ever dies, the heater kicks in. Wow.SH

As an experiment, I've placed a 13" submersible light in the compartment with some live rock, chaeto and caulerpa. It's been two weeks and they're still green. I don't know if it's enough to get them to start growing. I figure it's only $10, so I may put in another one. It's made by Odyssey, about the same size as other NO T5 fixture.

Interesting, although I'm not sure that green/live macro algae always equates to "nitrogen export" per se...I'm thinking thats kinda a function of metabolism and therefore energy input in the form of lumens & PAR...in other words, keeping the algae alive and actually "powering" it with enough light to the point that it can do ya some good is probably 2 different things...Yeah, I can see the specs on that light being pretty relevant...

Hi...my refugium is finally up and running. I'll be back and let you know if the macro not only survives, but, works as a 'denitrifier' with this spectrum of light. SH

refugium.jpg

My chaeto has been growing in my NC 12 g dx for 2 months now. No extra lighting. Although I wouldn't say it's growing "fast", it is very green, crisp and happy with pods. There is a fair amount of light spillover from the stock lighting into chaber 3 where my return pump is located.

Archived