SaltCritters.com

Ox's Alife 7 Update

OxInYourBox

Since Rick posted an update with his tank I thought I'd add one for mine. :)

7G Alife (I believe JBJ bought this company and took the design and you now have nano cubes). Setup 12/02. Moved 08/04. All I did for the move was drain the water pick up the tank and move it replace the water and it was good to go within an hour.

Capnella and hammer added from another tank 2 months after the tank was setup. I have since added and removed a few other corals along the way. Right now I have purple candy cane, white leather frag (tiny), and an LPS I haven't looked up but it's either a maze or moon coral.

30#'s of sugar grade sand. At the time I didn't know any other reefers and I didn't feel like wasting the sand so I tried a DSB.

Lit by a single 27W Aqualux combo bulb (removed the crap ballast and fan and replaced with Workhorse 2). I may put a 2nd bulb in but it's doing fine now unless anyone wants ALOT of capnella and I go a different direction with it.

Rio 50 pumped tossed for a Rio 600 with 1/2 locline returns split by a Y adapter.

Oceanic salt 1G changed weekly.

A few weeks after being setup:

1-12-03FrontClose.JPG

Far Shot today 2-21-05 (pardon the crookedness I forgot to use my mini tripod for the bar shot):

IMG_1425Medium.JPG

Close up shot:

IMG_1426Medium.JPG

Left side (from my dining/living room):

IMG_1427Medium.JPG

From the kitchen side:

IMG_1431Medium.JPG

Top view (I'm having to move the capnella around to keep it from always going through my overflow box):

IMG_1428Medium.JPG

From the bottom looking up:

IMG_1433Medium.JPG

This tank has been my best tank maintenence and issue wise. It's survived the heat, the cold, and me in the >2 years it's been up. Knocks on wood.

Yay somebody who actually uses a DSB and not just a nutrient trap! Good job.

And that capnella forest is looking pretty freaking cool, but they're out of room :P

Thanks Vic. I was looking through some older pics of it. Capnella just kept growing up and up and up... lol I'm waiting for them to start branchlet dropping. I used to propogate them like mad but quit after I flooded the locak shop and frag swaps. :)

Yeah tMoney the camera can't deal with the light coming through. It's awesome looking through it. I rearranged the LR that I could move (the tonga branch is solidly mounted in the sand bed) to keep the capnella tighter together vs. spreading out and getting into the overflow. Before that though it was even more spread out.

Undertheradar

More like "Ox's Alife 3 Update" ....4 gallons rock and sand, 3 gallons water! I agree with too much sand. A nano doesnt really benefit from a DSB like a larger tank can...and in a tank that small...

• 3 months later...
OxInYourBox

Since I had the camera:

IMG_1777Medium.jpg

IMG_1779Medium.jpg

Phil's hammer that has started to split again. Phil this will go well in your 2.5G. :)

IMG_1780Medium.jpg

Lil guy got moved away after the pic was taken:

IMG_1778Medium.jpg

Archived