Top Shelf Aquatics

my baby sea monkey :)

skeletor

my wife thinks these guys look like sea monkeys should have looked, anyway, woke up yesterday morning to quite a surprise in one of the tanks. Dad is doing well and it looks like there might be some brothers and sisters along soon....

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

here is mum (taking a poop) note the location of the anus, indicating that seahorses are in fact ass-backwards animals :D :D :D

DSC00066.jpg

and this is dad:

DSC00068.jpg

-skeletor-

and another one appeared :D so, 6 babies total.. I just setup a small beta tank to move them all to.

hey, put down the camera and get me some sea monkeys:

DSC00039.jpg

-skeletor-

These guys are currently less than 1/2", fully grown dwarf seahorses are about 1" - 1 1/2"..

all 6 have been moved over to a dual beta tank with some selco enriched baby brine shrimp and a couple of plastic grass plants. they are all eating like horses :D

-skeletor-

where did you origanaly buy them?Is there anything in the tank besides them?How do you feed them regularly?Do any accept non live foods?How big is the tank?

Originally posted by booboo

where did you origanaly buy them?Is there anything in the tank besides them?How do you feed them regularly?Do any accept non live foods?How big is the tank?

These are WC, and come from Florida, there are some TR available but they can be harder to find. The tank is an Alife 7gal Bow front cube which has been setup just for the horses. These guys have very specific requirements and they don't get on well with very many tank mates, powerheads, overflows, etc. The LS/LR is not generally recommended for dwarfs due to the risk of hydroids.

The only eat live food so I'm hatching BBS every day, I have read that they can be trained to eat golden pearls, but making sea monkeys every day is pretty easy once you get a procedure down.

it's day 4 and all 6 babies are still doing great :)

-skeletor-

could we see some full tank shots? i would like to see how you got it set up for these guys to live. any other special things you do for them now or during set up? if you dont use live rock then what do you use?

here is a full tank shot, there are plenty more pics in my gallery (click on the www button below)

this is a good article for anyone interested in keeping dwarfs: http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/d...rfKeeping.shtml

ok, on to the pics....

100_5734.sized.jpg

sea monkey hatching station:

100_5745.sized.jpg

and this is the nursery tank, you can just make out the little guys on left:

100_5754.sized.jpg

I have some wild DIY ideas for the nursery tank, just waiting for the parts to arrive :)

enjoy,

-skeletor-

• 4 weeks later...

I have read with much interest about seahorses, and specifically, dwarf seahorses for over a year now, but have not yet setup a tank. I guess mainly because I am scared, and am not in the hobby to kill critters.

Would you be willing to tutor me in the art of dwarf seahorse keeping before I take the plunge? Please PM if you are interested, or email slaeyer@gmail.com (gmail's spam filters are great, bring on the spam)

Archived