Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pics of my new green maxima

Brooklyn Johnny

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet!! I was admiring your tank lastnight, from another thread,

Very very nice setup...

Sorry, but what was your lighting again?

Killer tank man

Ray

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a pic of all three maximas (I have a squamosa on the sand too). I was holding the light from the left side and so the green didn't light up too well.

Also, whoever says you cannot grow sps and clams under PCs, or in a nano for that matter, is flat out wrong. I agree that it isn't easy or for beginners, but yes they can thrive and have awesome colors! STOP THE DISINFORMATION! In this pic alone you see Monti digitata (purple tip), green and pink pocillopora, green hydnophora, and my green staghorn with blue tips. DO THESE LOOK BROWNED OUT? There are a thousand factors that contribute to a healthy reef, and everybody always blames their problems on lighting!

(excuse the rant, but I am tired of hearing people who say this is IMPOSSIBLE JUST BECAUSE THEY OR OTHERS HAVE FAILED.)

Congrats to all the nano pioneers, and deezreef you were my nano inspiration...

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks Ray... 2 x 36 watt PC... one actinic and one 10k... retrofit from www.ahsupply.com and bulbs from hellolights.com...

Incidentally I have a refugium and feed heavily... I'm convinced that helps but I'm not sure how much...

very nice! those justphish pics are reeeally getting to me! i'm thinking about getting clams again too. all the sweet looking maximas at jp are getting snatched up tho. all his goldens are gone already. :(

i'm just waiting for my wifey to bring back an AZOO calcium reactor from Taiwan to try out. otherwise i may have to just bite the bullet and get a real reactor. :P

i agree with you johnny, deez's was the best example of sps under pc's.

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey tinyreef thanks... yeah I'm up to a half gallon of full strength kalk a night and on top of that two mLs a day of calcium chloride... I need a reactor too... I just went to JPs site and he's got MORE maximas in that aren't posted yet... I had to jump on it...

Chris thanks for the comments and the site... everytime I post anywhere else I get this "That's a 10 gallon?" sometimes for good and sometimes for bad... keep up the good work...

Darya... that's funny because my wife and I bought an altima 3.5SE last year... we love it and the new maximas are SHAAAAweet!!!;)

Oh and unit it's a 10 gallon... ;) thanks...

How are you dosing your kalkwasser?? Im wanting to dose mine using an auto-topper (physh1) but some people are leary of this technique. Are you dripping or what? (must chuckle at the sound of that :D)

Brooklyn Johnny

I drip it overnight... to the tune of about 1 drop every two seconds, which amounts to just under a half gallon a night. Incidentally having my Pinpoint pH monitor has been great, and I notice a tremendous difference in the pH change between using kalk mixed with 3/4 teaspoon as opposed to a full teaspoon. Anyway I'm now dosing full strength (1 teaspoon per gallon).

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks Raise! I definitely recommend the kalk. Dripping it overnight allows the pH to stay very stable. Try with a light solution of it (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon) and go from there. After a while you'll become more comfortable with it and figure out what your tank uptakes...

i just ran across your thread and i have to say that's a gorgeous tank. wow, i'm glad i could bring some inspiration to you brooklyn. i just wish i had the tank up and running still. you have any full tank shots?? i would love to see it in all its glory.:)

wow brooklyn, i'm speechless. very nice. you're really making me regret breaking down the 10. to all them doubters look no further. i'll definately be looking forward to hearing all your future successes. keep me updated on your tank.

Brooklyn Johnny

I hate the doubters too... at least the ones who say things like this are impossible... but not at nanoreef.com!!!!!!! Thanks again Deez... I'll definately keep in touch... as a matter of fact when I was doing this people said it would fail, and I always referred them to your thread with your 10 gallon! Naysayers shutup!:D

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks fellas... yeah you know if I had a choice between an ultra maxima or some other famous clams I'd have some serious thinking to do :D

Brooklyn Johnny

Holy Cow!!! Chris thanks! I haven't been this excited in a long time! That's awesome! I definately have to say that without nanoreef.com I wouldn't have set this nano up in the first place! I'll definately get some more pictures up soon, and please refer to the links I have from old nanoreef.com threads. I never thought this would be possible without this board, as the thought of a nanoreef to some people is inconceivable, and much less one with clams and sps. bite it naysayers :D

Nice nano. Good thing we went to kick some saddam ass, We need to protect our reefs, especially those in the persian gulf and red sea, saddam doesn't care if he intentionally floods the ocean with oil, killing millions of corals. I guess thats a fringe benefit of making sure Iraq doesn't have weapons of mass destruction and killing Saddam Hitler......errr Hussein

Archived