Pod Your Reef

HOB Refugium

Jenna Ann

Marine Depot

I have experience with these breeder boxes as they are sold under different brands. Instead of using an air pump, I hooked up a Mini-Jet 404 pump with 1/2" tubing as it fits perfectly onto the inlet pipe without the airline fitting adapter. I found this to provide a lot more water flow into the refugium than with an air pump. All in all, these HOB refugiums work quite well and are inexpensive.

Dan

Not if you are using it fora refugium and get the aqua pump and not the air pump.

Most LFSs only seem to stock the version with the air pump - got a link to where to buy it with the water pump? I'd like to get one of these soon, myself, but don't want to have to rip apart a filter and mod this thing.

I'm really appreciating all this info! I see on the Finnex site they have it with the option to get the aquapump as suggested and you can get it with a light too. I'm wondering if all this would suffice on a 10g or would a power head be needed in the display tank for additional circulation? Or perhaps use the finnex HOB in tandem with an AC20 for circulation and chemical filtration?

I'd go with a Koralla 425 power head and a HOB, well actually I did. My 10G has a AC70 & 425 on it. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the AC110 for a little more space. I would not 2 to HOBs for flow though.

I'd go with a Koralla 425 power head and a HOB, well actually I did. My 10G has a AC70 & 425 on it. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the AC110 for a little more space. I would not 2 to HOBs for flow though.

I'm trying to avoid the power head in the DT if possible. :)

• 3 months later...

is the the pump that it comes with that is rated 40gph enough for the fuge or should I go wtih something more? I have a spare cobalt pump rated at about 108gph? that i have lying around that i can maybe diy into the fuge or is this too much?

I'm trying to avoid the power head in the DT if possible. :)

You need a power head in the display - no way around it. If you don't want the bulk then splurge for an MP10. But I'm assuming that an MP10 is out of your budget since your looking for a budget fuge. I'm sure the fuge you linked to will be fine. Just don't expect top shelf quality.

Archived