Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lettuice Nudibranch

Nate Dawg

Has anyone kept one of these?

I've heard they aren't true nudibranchs. And they aren't poisonus..

They need a tank that doesn't have a strong intake or they will get pasted to it. So, NO powerheads with these guys.

I'm getting a seahorse aquarium soon. It looks like they fit in with the compatibility for dwarf seahorses. I'm going to be keeping my seahorses with macroalgae. It's okay if the nudi eats some of the algae but do you think they will eat it all? I'll be having them in a 5 gallon tank.

If you have had one, how was your experience?

slugsLettuce_Nudibranch_99746.jpg

I used to have one. It ate hair algae, but kinda trimmed it without completely eating it. After a few months it disappeared because the hair algae was gone. The algae started to grow back and out of no where there were lots of little baby lettuce slugs! :lol: Unfortunately they ate all the algae and died. :closedeyes:

All in all it was fun having them but they will die unless you have algae.

• 2 weeks later...

My experiences with seahorses tells me you will have NO problem growing enough algae to keep atleast 1 alive. Considering the precautions you will need to take for the seahorses, ie filter intake sponges, they would go well together. Bryopsis would be a wonderful choice, if in fact this is what they eat.

I can send you some bryopsis if you need it lol! I have had two of these guys in my display tank for three weeks now. They are constantly grazing and have managed to stay out of my two vortechs. I have had to relocate one, however, when it came too close to my overflow. Btw, I can't really tell of they are eating bryopsis. If they are, it's only the short stuff.

• 2 years later...

I'm thinking about ordering two for my hair algae control for my 29 gallon BioCube.

Any suggestions on where to order them and not pay over $40 for shipping?

I got one from an LFS. It started out as a lawnmower for my bryopsis, but they can also become photosynthetic. I read they use chlorophyll and xooanthelle in combination. Anyways, it started out staying in my bryopsis, and was eating it quickly. Then it wandered out and is all over the place. Sometimes it eats my algae, sometimes it cleans the glass.

And the whole time, it has not been sucked through my MP10, despite getting within three inches f it without the foam cover.

They are closely related to sea hares, and those do not get along with powerheads.

• Like 1

Archived