i want a complementaty light for my 3 gal pico

i was thinking about DIY led proyect something like Evilc66 led actinic addon

Sunpod LED Actinics

but...

i found this new item in dr foster & smith

a new led fixture from ecoxotic

ecoxotic Panorama LED Module

Dr Foster & Smith info

Add more light to your aquarium with minimal energy use AND heat transfer. The ecoxotic Panorama LED Module is a next generation LED retrofit kit powered by one dozen brilliant Light Emitting Diodes. Because each LED concentrates light into your aquarium, this simple aquarium upgrade even supports a wide variety of coral species. Discover exceptional light effects that rival high-wattage light fixtures from shimmering "glitter lines" to accentuated fish, coral and invertebrate coloration. Integrated LED drivers mean quiet operation and no heavy or cumbersome ballasts to install. Compact design fits in most canopies and provides up to 50,000 hours of use. The Panorama Module is designed to be mounted to a canopy. It is not intended to be placed directly on top of an aquarium

Model........................................................... 8200

Dimensions....................................................12-3/4" x 1-1/2" x 1-3/4" h

Total # of LEDs.............................................. 12

# of White 8,000°K LEDs................................. 8

# of Actinic Blue 453nm LEDs.......................... 4

Total Watts.....................................................13 watts

so... anyone with info about it, or a review

worth it instead a DIY add on???

corals will grow with this fixture??

evilc66... do you know something about it ??? :P

thanks for replies

Well, those modules are part of a larger fixture, so the theory is that it will grow corals. They are 1W LEDs, but the only saving grace is that there are 12 of them in a relatively small area. My LFS has one of the full fixtures in as a demo and I will be doing some PAR measurements hopefully this weekend, if they get water in the tank. As an addon over a 3g tank, they could work pretty well. Certainly far better than the Powerbrites ever were.

thanks for the repply evilc

i thought about powerbrites but after read about them here and the spot issue, the powerbrites aren't a option... i was planning to do my own complementay led lights but i saw this option....

so i will wait for that PAR measurements :lol:

Ok, so I got a little time with the light yesterday. It's one of the 17.5" units (4 strips, 48W) over a 34g Solana. My LFS had water rock and sand in there, so I got a pretty good idea as to the overall appearance of the light. It's super crisp, and right around a 12K look. I kinda figured that based on the white and blue ratio. It would be nice if they had options for a heavier blue balance without having to resort to Stunner Strips, which won't do a lot IMO when used with the Panorama.

The fixture itself looks sharp and is built well. The only downer is that you can add more of the Panorama strips without modifying the housing. The strips use external drivers, which are housed in the back of the fixture. Adding more and keeping it internal will be difficult. Because the drivers are external, it means that they can easily be replaced. You could replace the entire driver electronics with a single Meanwell ELN-60-24D and make it dimmable.

Anyway, on to the part you are really interested in; PAR measurements.

Fixture was set up about 10" over the water, and it's about 18" from the water to the sand. Average PAR at the water surface was about 200. Not too bad considering they are 1W LEDs. On the sand, it averaged about 90 PAR. Not stellar, but enough for softies and most lps. What was nice was that the PAR drop off was pretty linear. The reflectors that are used in the strips (which aren't shown in any of the product literature on the web site) are what helps the numbers. They are a little different than what you are used to. They are a linear reflector that spans the entire length of the strip.

It's no competitor to AI fixtures, but it is a nice simple fixture with reasonable performance. With a little TLC it could be an interesting platform to tweak.

wow evilc, that was nice and detailed info :bowdown::bowdown:

they arent better than a DIY led setup, but at least is another option

really thanks you for all the reaserch!!!!

Cool i'm glad this subject has been started i hope the thread build. I'm following

Hey Evilc66 i was at the same lfs and saw the setup i'm courious too.

what do you think about building system using stunner strips?

• 2 weeks later...

Evil you said the par values taken was on the 17.5" fixture they also make a 23.5" fixture I was wondering what you think the par values would be with the 23.5" fixture on the same tank?

I believe the 17.5" fixture you took the readings off was 48 leds @ 46 watts

The 23.5" fixture is 72 leds at 73 watts.

Well, jury is still out. It might not be the best option for sps. My LFS is seeing it's first issue, but it could be water parameter related. They had an orange monti cap in the tank now for a few weeks (about 3/4 up in the tank), and it's now looking almost the same color as the purple cap in there. There are two deepwater acros that are coloring nicely though.

Well, jury is still out. It might not be the best option for sps. My LFS is seeing it's first issue, but it could be water parameter related. They had an orange monti cap in the tank now for a few weeks (about 3/4 up in the tank), and it's now looking almost the same color as the purple cap in there. There are two deepwater acros that are coloring nicely though.

Well, it's definitely possible that the light doesn't support as much as advertised, but it definitely seems like a solid little light- especially for achieving medium-high light in a nano. I'd be tempted to see how well these would do in a 10g tank or less.

This fixture is not much cheaper than an AI fixture. Why would anyone want this over an AI?

I can't figure that out yet either... if it were me I'd go AI over the Ecoxotic any day.

Over the same tank you would need two AI modules for proper coverage. So, double the cost, but a lot more light and flexibility.

Travisurfer, I have found so far that water parameters (Alk, Cal, Mag specifically) are far more important with LEDs than with other lighting sources. Makes a much bigger impact on coloration on certain sps corals.

How would 4 of the $95 Panorama LED Modules be different from the $617 Panorama LED Fixture? Arn't the LED's the same ? Any way to control them ?

Travisurfer, I have found so far that water parameters (Alk, Cal, Mag specifically) are far more important with LEDs than with other lighting sources. Makes a much bigger impact on coloration on certain sps corals.

everyday one learns something new :happy:

How would 4 of the $95 Panorama LED Modules be different from the $617 Panorama LED Fixture? Arn't the LED's the same ? Any way to control them ?

Yes, they are the same. The only way to control these lights is with timers.

Interesting. I wonder why this might be? Maybe it's because LEDs produce a more limited and narrower spectrum than other forms of light?

Evilc, you mentioned that Cal/Alk/Mag are more important for SPS under LED's, but what about LPS and Softies?

I know you keep all of those in your 40B, can you offer insight on those as well?

I ask because I'm more interested in LPS/Softies myself, and much more likely to keep those under my LED.

I haven't seen much of an issue with lps and softies. It has only been sps that have had coloration issues under the LEDs. It's not all of them either. My neon green birdsnest was much more sensitive than my purple bonsai acro.

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping to add an LED strip like this to a 12 bulb T5 setup to add shimmer to the tank. Do you think these strips using only 1W bulbs could do that? ( 4 of them making a 48" strip)

I wish somebody would make 48" LED strip using 3W LEDs... dimmable.

• 1 month later...

Archived