Cultivated Reef

I never seen this before

kappa

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

probably not. the red stuff is much harder to keep long term in the reef than the green algaes.

lots o peeps would kill for red algaes in thier systems.

With all the lps corals and such I have, I have to spot feed every three or four days, or the sun corals and denros won't be happy. I have the skimmer on wet skim now 24/7. I think I got high nutrients because some feather caulerpa started to grow, and my cheato is growing a bit dense with tons of brittle stars living in it. I need to pull apart the cheato soon.

sure, I don't have anything in my aquarium that would attack it. So it should survive. And I will sell you some for sure.

Here is a recent pic I took of some sort of feather Caulerpa.

caulerpa.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

ok first, i think your "feather caulerpa" is byropsis- get rid of it quick

the red macro could be sebdenia flabellata

I'll throw in one more possibility: Botryocladia sp. "red bubble algae". I have some in my tank that I never could get rid of. I've accepted defeat. It's not too bad though. It's not very invasive and tends to like the lower light areas where I don't really want to put corals anyway. Mine is not the same species as what you have though. Mine doesn't branch, but the coloration and texture look similar. It's full of thick nasty clear goop right? If so you should avoid popping it open in your tank, it will spread just like valonia.

The wise and powerful icy has spoken. :P

Mind if I ask how you know? It's obviously not the pretty Botryocladia uvaria that is sold as an ornamental, but there is more than one species. I think I have Botryocladia skottsbergii in my tank fwiw. Is it the branching bulbs (rather than a branching thalli) that eliminate this from the Botryocladia genus?

Since the photo does not show this algae well, I will explain in detail what it looks like. It has tubular red branches with boob like structure and small pink nimples. It grows fast. It is now doubled in size from the photo above.I shall take another photo. My conch ate part of it, but I think it does not taste good, so it left it.

algae2.jpg

I bought a branching red algae that looks very similar to that. If it's the same one I had, from my experience, it grows very slow. Oh yeah and turbo snails love it. I could see little bites taken out of it from the snail and then one day all that was left was a little stub.

Since the photo does not show this algae well, I will explain in detail what it looks like. It has tubular red branches with boob like structure and small pink nimples. It grows fast. It is now doubled in size from the photo above.I shall take another photo. My conch ate part of it, but I think it does not taste good, so it left it.

Actually, I thought your last pic was excellent, but your description, while an, uh, interesting simile, actually does add a lot to the pic. How about some specie of Rhodopeltis?:

http://www.algaebase.org/search/images/view/?img_id=34750

http://www.algaebase.org/search/species/de...species_id=1957

--Diane

Archived