Pod Your Reef

[Custom] kinetic

kinetic

kinetic

Finnex 8 Gallon Tahitian Moon Sand Gumdrop Scorpion SPS Tank

Description This is my entry into this year's Nano-Reef.com contest. I started reefkeeping a year ago, and quickly learned by way of research and the hard way of what would be a good and easy to maintain system. Now the contest is up, I've started investing in a large tank system, so unfortunately this won't be as spectacular as I was hoping. I'm not sure if this setup will last long, especially without a sump, but heck I'll try my best.

Tank Finnex 8 Gallon 15.75" x 10.25" x 11.80" Glass tank with curved front corners bought from PremiumAquatics.

Lighting JBJ 70watt HQI Viper (which sucks btw, but left over from my old pico tank) with 14K JBJ Lamp and a new AROMAT 70watt Electronic Ballast from illuming.com. The old JBJ Ballast sucked, broke, and is now in the trash (it was there 3 weeks after purchasing). The aromat should be fantastic, and make the tank glow. I will soon upgrade to a 14K Astralux bulb, or even a 20K bulb that JBJ sent me as a replacement for the 6 defective bulbs they sent me prior.

Flow MaxiJet 900. That's all, nothing fancy =P 460+gph total flow ~57x turnover rate.

Filtration AquaC Nano Remora w/ Maxijet 900. TLF Phosphate Reactor (not sure if I want to put another powerhead in here for this guy...).

Temperature THEO 50watt Heater, no fans yet.

Stock Red spotted Gumdrop Scorpionfish, a few scarlet hermits, cerith snails, trochus snails, and a ton of SPS.

LR/LS Tahitian Black Moon Sand (caribsea) and LR from established tank.

Entry photo:

Finnex 8g Tank w/ Tahitian Moon Sand, back painted black (Krylon Black Gloss spray paint), and Beringer Vinyards Spragia Limited Release Chardonnay.

Entry_Photo.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow. A tank thats actually going to happen!!! j/k

Nice tank and nice booze. I'm looking forward to this!

lol seriously... I was contemplating about not putting this tank together, but what the heck.

Nothing fancy, hopefully it'll do well. I'll need a place to house some corals while my 32g becomes a 70g =) But I don't know how 40lbs of LR will look in this 8g tank!

I was planning a 11 gallon socalcreations tank, braceless, external overflow, matching sump and stand w/ 250watt hqi aquamedic, but that's too expensive right now since I'm putting together a super secret 70g ;)

can't wait to see your entry!

btw: That bottle is fantastic, I've never had chardonnay so good before in my life! It's worth the trip up to Napa Valley, goto their Victorian House for the limited release tastings, you'll buy a couple bottles of these guys for sure ;) When the contest is done, I'm popping this one open to celebrate (win or lose).

After seeing your other tanks, this is going to be awesome. I will be following along for sure!

GL in the contest!

texx

speaking of larger tanks, sorry bud. leemar isnt as responsive if you dont call them. you might have to wait another week or so if you so choose to. sorry for the trouble, nips

nice tank to dyou have the picture of the tank and the stand. that look like a file cabnite from ikea.

yup, filing cabinet from Ikea, somehow it fits perfectly =) I'll post more pix later.

yup, filing cabinet from Ikea, somehow it fits perfectly =) I'll post more pix later.

somone else is going with black sand also....cool.

sweet tank btw, i cant wait to see it up and running.

somone else is going with black sand also....cool.

sweet tank btw, i cant wait to see it up and running.

problem with black sand is it doesn't reflect very well, so the undersides of corals tend to lose some color =/

Threw in some of the equipment:

Nano Remora

MaxiJet 900

THEO 50watt Heater

JBJ 70watt HQI Viper (no ballast yet)

Finnex 18watt 50/50 PC fixture (temporary)

Equipment_setup.jpg

Then I got some Harbor Bay NSW that I had for my other tank (brand new water I guess) and added it in. Filled it to about half a centimeter off the top and let 'er rip! First thing I noticed, the nano remora sucked up a bunch of water and now sounds like a truck running with tons of microbubbles! This thing SUCKS BUTT! I am thinking of getting rid of it if the sound doesn't die down and the microbubbles don't go away.

First_filled.jpg

I'm thinking of bringing the viper down in front of the finnex fixture and angling it towards the middle of the tank, might add to the look of it all. Top down

First_filled2.jpg

all the showing equipment sucks! I miss my all-in-one setup I had before, so much cleaner. But this must be a cheap setup, or else it'll take away from my larger tank setup fund =/

Or maybe I should screw the larger setup fund and go all out with this tank or a custom tank...

edit:

some more problems. the THEO heater, no matter what setting it's at, will push the tank past 82 degrees and then stop. I have a Eheim Jager 50watt as well so I will switch to that one tomorrow.

you'd better bring that tiki idol back to hawaii, greg brady. bad mojo! :o

bad mojo? this thing has given me the best mojo ever? or maybe it could be better? who's greg brady?

So did some research on the Remora to see how in heavens I could quiet it down and reduce bubbles, and came up with solutions to both (temporary I guess).

Remora1.jpg

1. To quiet down the skimmer, I removed the collection cup, exposing the three chambers below.

Remora2.jpg

2. I took two paper towels, and folded them up into a square to perfectly fit over the first chamber on the left.

Remora3.jpg

3. Replaced everything, and walla, sound is gone. I don't even know why that chamber is open, other than the fact that you may want to clean the injector. Otherwise I'd say make a small plastic piece with a gasket that fits right over that so that it'll block out any sound, and be removable.

Remora4.jpg

walla, much quieter!!!

Remora5.jpg

Then for the microbubbles, went and got a little soap dish thing, put it under th eoutlet of the remora, and made it into a small fuge.

fts.jpg

Problem is, now my 70watt viper sits way to the left side of the tank, and isn't centered =/ Any suggestions?

Update:

I've also gotten rid of the THEO heater and replaced it with a Eheim Jager 50 watt, and now my temp stays at 80 degrees without fluctuating more than .5* !! Sweet =)

Tank looks great, but it kinda all went downhill about...

who's greg brady?

:eek:

Best movie EVAR!

Well, except Gidget Goes Hawaiian. And Beach Blanket Bingo.

Sea_Of_Treachery

you could put the viper on the left or right side of the tank and have it centerd in the middle.................

You should get the remora's surface skimmer. It would blend in better, get rid of micro bubbles, and surface skim.

isn't the surface skimmer only for the REmora's, not the remora nanos?

nanoclown: and yes, it is ghettoly rigged =) my time / effort is going into my new big tank system ;)

glad you like the 32g mtank!

btw your avatar gave me an idea... maybe a nano anemone tank with a bunch of those anemone shrimp and a few porcelin crabs...

not sure if the anem would dirty the tank up though... the skimmer might not be strong enough.

Fishfreak218
btw your avatar gave me an idea... maybe a nano anemone tank with a bunch of those anemone shrimp and a few porcelin crabs...

like my contest tank :);) lol.. i cant wait to see this tank up.. all your other tanks are stunning... BTW.. no offense but that remora REALLY makes the tank look crappy... the tank itself is such a nice tank.. to be junked up with all that equipment. the 2 MJ's REALLY takes away from the tank.. and then the fudge :X

this is just my opinion..also i dont think its really needed .. the Coral Croucher goby isnt really going to be that big of a bio-load

I will admit that the equipment is really takin away from that awesome looking tank....... but hey man, whatever works. Im excited to see the gumdrop goby in there! keep the pics coming!

Archived