Innovative Marine Aquariums

Upgrading...finally!

nanoDarth

Hows the world treating you all? to make a short story even shorter, i bought an 18g viaaqua tank with stand, HOT magnum filter, and a 96w PC coralife fixture with a moonlight. I plan on cycling the 18g first before i transfer the 2.5 into it.

But before i do any of that, i was wondering if I would be able to keep LPS under the 96w of PC? if not I might consider upgrading to 96w of T5.

i hope to start the first week of september. thanks for your time and comments in advance.

latez

post-17341-1156288859_thumb.jpg

well i guess im going to stick with the lighting i have for now. the fixture is 20 inches and as you can see by the pic its just the right size. all the T5 fixtures and retros come in 24+ inches and i dont really like the idea of it sticking 2 inches on each side.

So I finally made the move. I bought a Penguin 200 (without the bio-wheel of course) and added sand. black sand was too much of a hassle so i chose a more natural alternative. i also added some coral which i recently bought. I might add more rock later on this week as soon as my loan check arrives. hahaha latez...

post-17341-1156901376_thumb.jpg

post-17341-1156901462_thumb.jpg

post-17341-1156901474_thumb.jpg

Well tested the water today and everything is looking good. Ammonia Nitrite, Nitrate, are at 0. im starting to notice how well the corals are doing in the new tank. the zoos are seem to be growing more in one week than in 2 months in my 2.5. well latez

Well tested the water today and everything is looking good. Ammonia Nitrite, Nitrate, are at 0. im starting to notice how well the corals are doing in the new tank. the zoos are seem to be growing more in one week than in 2 months in my 2.5. well latez

Of course the water is looking good it has not had a chance to build up any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate yet. Did you just star the tank on the 22 of august? If so you added the corals way too fast!

Of course the water is looking good it has not had a chance to build up any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate yet. Did you just star the tank on the 22 of august? If so you added the corals way too fast!

I transfered my 2.5 into it including the water and i fed the corals the other day. im expecting a cycle when I add more rock later on this week though, so I have been fighting the urge to stock it with any fish.

well im going to get some more liverock soon but im worried about the die off and the ammonia spike it might cause and its effect on the corals. im wondering if I should add a couple pounds at a time or just go ahead and add about 15 pounds of live rock at one time and hope the live sand and bit of rock i have will be able to handle the spike somewhat?

well im going to get some more liverock soon but im worried about the die off and the ammonia spike it might cause and its effect on the corals. im wondering if I should add a couple pounds at a time or just go ahead and add about 15 pounds of live rock at one time and hope the live sand and bit of rock i have will be able to handle the spike somewhat?

The more you add, the more die off resulting in higher spike. Pull out the corals dump in 15 pounds let it cycle. IMO

Well I added 10 pounds of rock on friday and so far everything is looking good. the rock ws cured beforehand so its helping to keep any ammonia down. nitrates are on the rise and Ph was a bit down so i changed 1 gallon of water. not too much but hopefully itll help. Will post some pics soon...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

so its been 9 solid months since i upgraded and so far so good. i have had some ups and downs and some changes here and there. but other than that enjoy the view.

136.jpg

311.jpg

post-17341-1179535739_thumb.jpg

post-17341-1179535764_thumb.jpg

post-17341-1179535785_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot find any purple shrooms like those, I want them so bad.

yea and to think it all started out with just one. now theres at least a dozen in there and they just keep multiplying. i might have to start finding a way to get rid of them if yur interested in some.

• 11 months later...

so 3 months ago my tank essentially crashed. one night i noticed the tank looked weird, the corals were all shrinking and the fish were twitching. so i stuck my hand i there and i got a shock. turns out th rio pump i had in there as a powerhead had cracked so most of my corals got electrocuted. all coral excpept a few polyps died, and the fish made it fine although they came close to death. so after a few months of recovery i have started to restock the tank. this time i've decided to try to keep it LPS only. here are some pix.

new11.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

Archived