Coral Vue Hydros

EZs Aquapod 24 with 150 MH

ezcompany

ezcompany

Ok boys and girls, i'm soon gonna scrap my stupid Eclipse 6 system. :angry:

Some reasons are because the coraline doesn't seem to grow due to the patethic 8 watts of flourescent lighting, and my Clarkii is gonna outgrow it soon, if it hasn't already.

Aquapod 24 gallon

Sunpod 150 MH

Vanuatu Liverock 14 lbs by far the coolest LR I've ever seen. (2 big pieces)

Coralife Power Center Single

Stealth Heaters 75, 100

Maxijets 900, 1200

Hydorflo

Aquaclear 110 (500)

Instant Ocean Mix

Arag Alive 20lbs

40W PC with Lunar Lights Single Satellite by Current USA (for low light accimilation and for fuge and what not, many uses for this)

Stand is from IKEA, Kitchen Cart, solid wood, has 2 wheels on one side! Now, with some effort, I can lug this 300 lb beast wherever I want to in the apartment! (took 2 hours to assemble... :huh: )

I'll try to post pics tonight if I don't get too drunk, you guys HAVE to tell me what you think of the Vanuatu LR! ;)

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TrueblueNY

Sounds like a sweet upgrade EZ. Looking forward to checking out some pics :D Very curious to see the Vanuatu LR... havent heard of it before. I got 14lbs of Marshall for my 24gal.

ezcompany
yes we want pics of that live rock

Ok GUYS! sorry for the DELAY!

Here is a pic of my VANUATU LR!

In my quarantine

img25135xz.jpg

Under 40W PC 50/50

img25104pq.jpg

Under 150W MH Sunpod

img25511jo.jpg

The Sunpod

img25193bs.jpg

All going in my new Aquapod 24 :D

ltzryder21
Ok GUYS! sorry for the DELAY!

Here is a pic of my VANUATU LR!

In my quarantine

img25135xz.jpg

Under 40W PC 50/50

img25104pq.jpg

Under 150W MH Sunpod

img25511jo.jpg

The Sunpod

img25193bs.jpg

2 pieces of Vanuatu btw

img25446qq.jpg

All going in my new Aquapod 24 :D

hey there ez are you having any problems with your water temp with the 150 w mh , did you hang it or set on top of the tank with the legs cause mine i set it on top and my temper hit 87 degrees and my ambient room temp was only 72 degrees maybe you can help me out

ezcompany

i leave mine with the legs.

do you put the glass cover on top? i don't, cuz the glass gets pretty hot and i want some gas exchange. my water hovers around lower 80s as of now, if not cooler.

my room temp is around the same as yours as well, if not higher. (los angeles)

i'm not sure how long my luck will hold out during the summer time though.

and also

what is the surface skimmer for the aquapod? i don't see it! or i'm blind!

aquapod in progress:

-150 MH working fine (i'm so glad the bulb is covered with glass, makes it easier to clean than acrylic)

-added coralife super skimmer 65, the pump DOES fit in the sump area. make sure you use the smaller tubing, if you use the big one you will get no air bubbles for skimming. the sponge fitting however has NO ROOM for the outflow, so thats removed. will run the skimmer during the daytime and off during sleeping time.

-added a LR from fishbabies (Mark) thank you so much for the rock and the LS! i'm hoping the zoas can survive the cycle :) but that is one HEAVY rock!

adding today:

20lbs of Arag Alive fiji pink

Maxijet 1200 (sump) and 900

Stealth Heater 100W (sump)

Coralife Thermometer

Serious temperature monitoring starting

Very cool rock.. following along.

Thank you icenine :)

Update:

one shipment did not arrive, and my other shipment arrived half open. this shipment was from Dr. Fosters and Smith, shipped by Fedex. I got most of the equipment, but was missing a heater and a timer.

the shipment that did not arrive was the sand and salt. SUCKS! i'm pushed back in my tank another week now...just great.

thankfully Dr. Fosters and Smith have decent customer service, they said they'll ship it back out asap, but couldn't do it faster cuz it was heavy stuff. they'll credit my account with 15 dollars to cover up for shipping, and send me the heater and timer in 2 days.

Anyways, i'm going through a major diatom bloom. i'm also having heat issues with the water. the 150 MH really heats it up. is it better to lose the glass cover? when i receive my timer i'm going to have it run 8 hours, from 3pm to 11pm. hopefully that will take care of my heat problem.

Coralife Super Skimmer is working, still breaking in, I have yet to see black gunk in the collection cup. Its no longer hanging on the tank, i placed it on a small glass vase so the pump is higher up in the water and the return valve is half an inch above the water line. this should create more micro bubbles in the skimmer for better action.

How many weirs did you take out with the two pumps? I am running a maxijet 1200 and 900 in the back and the water line is at the top of the back wall about to spill over. I am also running hydorflow on the 1200 and a bulkhead w/ flat nozzle on the 900. are you useing the sponge with the skimmer? and is it in the first chamber?

How many weirs did you take out with the two pumps? I am running a maxijet 1200 and 900 in the back and the water line is at the top of the back wall about to spill over. I am also running hydorflow on the 1200 and a bulkhead w/ flat nozzle on the 900. are you useing the sponge with the skimmer? and is it in the first chamber?

Skimmer pump is in the first chamber. only using the black sponge to prevent microbubbles for the output area, the holder for the foam does not fit.

i'm not sure what you mean about the weirs for the powerheads. i have the 1200 in the bottom, plugged into the original tube (that came with the aquapod). is your 1200 nozzle at the outlet hole then attached with a hydorflow? whats the point of running the 900 in ur back chamber? wouldn't you want more flow inside the tank?

ok,

my 1200 is pluged into the orginal outlet w/ the hydor in place of the orginal nozzle.

my 900 is in the same chamber and connected to a bulkhead that i drilled, pumping into the tank.

With these two pumps i seem to be pumping more than the intake with all plates / wiers in place. So i have pulled out one more, so now i have four inches of opening for the intake. I was afraid that surface would not skim very well but seems to be ok, for now.

I see.

I don't know how i'm going to drill another hole.

My tank is cycling right now. What should I do with the MJ 900?

btw, can u send me pics of ur LR from Aquarium arts? eunfalee@hotmail.com thanks :)

next step:

clean up crew

2 Turbos to hack away at red slime hair cyano whatever

13 mini blue hermits

10 ceriths

5 nassarius (lfs did not have enough)

10 Astreas (one large one)

can't wait for nitrites to begone.

ok the clean up crew is on standby.

substrate was added first.

20lbs Fiji Pink sand added, the whole bag, regardless of cloud.

propped a Aquaclear 500 with lots of mechanical filtration media, water cleared in less than 1 hour.

RO water added to balance specific gravity.

Skimmer turned on. Lights NOT running to subdue algae growth. Glass scraped clean.

Tonight: Nitrite Test

Does anyone know how to prevent the sunpod glass cover from getting covered up with salt creep? its disgusting.

Cleanup crew added.

Lights not running 100% to reduce algae growth.

water change to happen tomorrow, approx 20% water change.

aquascape not looking good! thinking i have too much rock!

Cleanup crew added.

Lights not running 100% to reduce algae growth.

water change to happen tomorrow, approx 20% water change.

aquascape not looking good! thinking i have too much rock!

Hey EZ,

I just got my Sunpod 150 and am going to put it over a new Aquapod 24, (same as yours.)

Keep me posted on your heating issues. I am a little concerned. I think I will go topless, and perhaps even mount a small fan or 2 on the sunpod legs to blow across the water surface. I am worried about overheating this Summer.

Fred

Hey EZ,

I just got my Sunpod 150 and am going to put it over a new Aquapod 24, (same as yours.)

Keep me posted on your heating issues. I am a little concerned. I think I will go topless, and perhaps even mount a small fan or 2 on the sunpod legs to blow across the water surface. I am worried about overheating this Summer.

Fred

i have the same exact worries as you. i will be running a fan on it to keep it cool though. i also have the lighting cycle in the afternoon and evening, not during the morning :)

UPDATE:

Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate <30

i have the same exact worries as you. i will be running a fan on it to keep it cool though. i also have the lighting cycle in the afternoon and evening, not during the morning :)

UPDATE:

Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate <30

Sounds good, keep up the thread as it gets warmer.

I think I will start with no fans as I cycle, and add small fan(s) on the legs as the summer progresses.

I should have a fast cycle, over 1/2 of my rock and sand will be pre-cured.

LOL EZ, Nitrates <30 is like saying you are somewhere between bad and good.

Cheers

yea thats probably where it is :P

too busy to test. i'll probably do it tonight :)

Nitrates aren't too bad, around 20 ppm, much less than i thought.

LPS and softies like some nutrients anyways. or is this only for the softies?

UPDATE:

1.) tried fitting the hydorflo on the main output nozzle (upper right) but water was splashing upwards, and i DO NOT like getting my sunpod wet! the freaking fixture is worth more than the tank...

2.) so i tried putting the MJ900 inside the tank for additional flow WITH they hydor, the thing looked downright offensive, protruding 6 inches! not acceptable, real estate is too valuable for a ugly black plastic that spins.

3.) ditched the MJ900 and placed minijet 600 in the back lower left corner of the tank blowing towards the right. this is to prevent dead flow areas where the LR is.

Corals:

Doughnut coral (thank you Mark), Eagle Eyes, Neon Green Frogspawn (thank you Jordan), Ricordea GSP Frogspawn (thank you Ed), Various Zoas (thank you StanD, Pook, Piber) Neon Green Leather, Orange Pink Yuma, Candy Cane (thank you Will)

Fish: none!

Cleanup Crew:

xx Astreas, 2 Turbos, xx Ceriths, xx Scarlett Hermits, xx Blue Legged, xx Nassarius

Equipment:

MJ1200, Coralife Super Simmer 65 (chambe one), MN600.

Thinking of sticking another Minijet in chamber 1 or 2 to increase flow.

Here are the pics of the LR I got from Aquariumarts.com the pics are on the 3 day after everything clear up. So the pics of the MJ900 through the back wall with a bulkhead and nozzle.

Here are the pics of the LR I got from Aquariumarts.com the pics are on the 3 day after everything clear up. So the pics of the MJ900 through the back wall with a bulkhead and nozzle.

post-19654-1149056019_thumb.jpgpost-19654-1149056050_thumb.jpg

Nitrates aren't too bad, around 20 ppm, much less than i thought.

LPS and softies like some nutrients anyways. or is this only for the softies?

UPDATE:

1.) tried fitting the hydorflo on the main output nozzle (upper right) but water was splashing upwards, and i DO NOT like getting my sunpod wet! the freaking fixture is worth more than the tank...

Hey EZ,

I am in the same boat. I had the same problem with my APod 12, but it was easily solved because the APod 12 comes with some nice LOC-LINE extension fittings that allowed me to extend the Hydor Flo away from the tank wall and direct it down into the tank. I am going to try to do the same with my APod 24. It looks like the outflow fitting is larger (the Apod 12 uses 1/2" fittings.) I know they also come in 3/4". I am going to try to pick some up @ my LFS this weekend. Hopefully they will fit my APod 24 out flow nozzle.

Cheers

Firedog, the LR wasn't as impressive as i thought they would be from aquariumarts. did it come with a lot of life? but that is very decent coraline for a online purchase.

Gano, i'm not familiar with loc-line extensions and such. can you give me some more details of the tubing to buy? is it the 1/2 or 3/4 for the aquapod 24? do you have a pic? and also, don't you think the hydorflo decreases the flow too much?

Archived