ReefCleaners.org

Mainframe's 32g M-tank

Mainframe562

Mainframe562

Here is my development of the 32g m-tank. So far I just added 40lbs. of live rock from Pacific East Aquaculture and 20lbs. of live sand. I removed the stock pump and added a Quiet One 2200 (581gph), also removed the skimmer and will be using a Remora Aqua C skimmer. The tank came with a trickle trays which I removed and will be converting the back into a refugium. As for the lighting, it's a Current USA 30" Sunpod (150W HQI). Here are some pictures and will be posting more as time progresses.

post-6957-1146626982_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1146627271_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1146627297_thumb.jpg

Palmettopark

I like this tank set up and am considering it in the future hows the fuge issue coming along any mods needed??

Mainframe562

Right now I'm just waiting for the cycle to finish. Once that is taken care of, I will add live sand, rock rubble, and chaeto. The tank came with these trickle trays that help filter the water and cool it down, but I removed those and made one of the trays into a baffle. Can't wait for the cycling to end.

Palmettopark

Definitly want to see pics of what you do to the back for the fuge. Keep um commin.

Mainframe562

Thanks for the interest guys, I will post pictures as time progresses. I cant wait to add fish and corals to the new tank. This is my second tank, my first one was a 12g nano cube which I had for a 2 years and from experience I have finally stepped up a notch.

I will also try to take more pictures of the back compartment. Once the cycling is done, I will add some live sand and rock to start the refugium.

waynefish

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the sunpod for my tank as well. Can you tell me well the light disperses? Evenly? or mainly in the centre?

Thanks!

Mainframe562

Since the MH light is in the center, it will brighten the middle and disperse towards the sides. But to me it seems as if the sides are getting some light as well. If you hang the light about 4 inches away then it will disperse nicely, so hanging it will be the best solution. Here are some pictures with the lights on. I will later hang the lights so that it disperses evenly.

post-6957-1146971256_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1146971276_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Mainframe562

Just an update on my m-tank. It has been a month now and I cant wait to add some beautiful corals. My light fixture is now hanging from my shelf which will help in despersing the light. I also added some live sand from an established aquarium in the back sump area, and live rock. Now I need some chaeto.

post-6957-1148113962_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1148113989_thumb.jpg

Tank is looking great! I like your aquascape as well.

Did you end up with any cool hitchhikers?

How's the heat w/ the 150w HQI? I'm using the 2x36w PC Finnex fixture right now, but I also have the 150w HQI Finnex fixture. Because of the brightness I need to build a canopy for it, blinds you if you're sitting on our couch and glance at the tank.

Mainframe562
Tank is looking great! I like your aquascape as well.

Did you end up with any cool hitchhikers?

How's the heat w/ the 150w HQI? I'm using the 2x36w PC Finnex fixture right now, but I also have the 150w HQI Finnex fixture. Because of the brightness I need to build a canopy for it, blinds you if you're sitting on our couch and glance at the tank.

Unfortunately no hitchhikers, just the usual pods. Tank has been setup now for about 4 weeks and so far so good. My current temp. is at 80 without the light on, but it shoots up to a steady 82 degrees. If I didnt hang the lights, it would definately go past 82. At first I thought the light would blind me as well while sitting down but no light shine on the face. Loving the Sunpod very much. Thanks for the compliment, will keep you posted.

Awesome aquascape! Plenty of up high space for sps/clams, and overhangs for mushrooms/suncoral ect. :)

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah very much like the idea that I can put many corals on top such as SPS and clams. I cant wait to add them in. I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately no hitchhikers, just the usual pods. Tank has been setup now for about 4 weeks and so far so good. My current temp. is at 80 without the light on, but it shoots up to a steady 82 degrees. If I didnt hang the lights, it would definately go past 82. At first I thought the light would blind me as well while sitting down but no light shine on the face. Loving the Sunpod very much. Thanks for the compliment, will keep you posted.

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah very much like the idea that I can put many corals on top such as SPS and clams. I cant wait to add them in. I'll keep you posted.

How's about an update Mainframe? I can wait no longer.

• 4 weeks later...
Mainframe562

Well here's an update of my tank. Not much to expect, just added a frogspawn, GSP, and some zoos. I found a Chiton hitchiker that came with the zoos. Pretty cool since I found out they were reef safe. Added some chaeto in the back and see lots of bristeworms and copepods.

post-6957-1151655328_thumb.jpg

Mainframe562

shortstack - thanks for the comment.

lgoins - Yeah, this hobby sure takes a lot of patience and I have learned from past expereices with my nano cube. I'm just gonna take it nice and slow.

• 1 month later...
Mainframe562

Well here's an update of my tank. Much has happened in the past month and it is looking awesome. I cant wait for reef palooza to stock up on some more corals.

So far I added a green cap, rainbow acan, and neon green candy, all from Proraptor.

post-6957-1155450197_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1155450360_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question regarding the MH light. Did anyone consider the Finnex 150W HQI+1X18W actinic PC fixtures? How do they compare with the Sunpod 150 HQI?

Has anyone compared the two and determined the pros and cons of each?

Many kind thanks to any insights.

Palmettopark

No it does not warp the acrylic since I raised it 5 inches. The lights came with stands that made it 3 inches away which would eventually warp but I have a fan blowing between the light and acrylic and with it being 5 inches away, there is no warping.

acrofish

I'm sure those lights would work just as fine as the Sunpod. I believe it was a bit pricey which is why I chose the Sunpod but it does have an actinic bulb which I wish it had so my guess would be a good buy. Let me know how that goes if you choose that route.

• 4 months later...

Well finally an update of my tank. It has been up for 9 months now and has taken off pretty well. Havent been adding any corals lately, just want to let things grow for a bit and make some decisions later. Also i'm fighting some algae on my sand bed, its cyano and some green. I know i need some more flow but its pretty hard directing it towards the bottom with that big SEIO pump. Anyone with some ideas?

post-6957-1169539548_thumb.jpgpost-6957-1169539792_thumb.jpg

can you get a close up picture of the cyano and green algae on your sand? i want to see if it's the same as what i have... im having problem with green algae on the sand....

• 1 year later...

Here is an update of my tank up and running for about a year and a half. It's been a long time and my tank has greatly grown into a jungle of coral manifestation. As you can see the GSP's have taken over my tank and is so far winning the battle. Thinking about starting over due to the annoyance of both GSP's and Xenia's.

post-6957-1203927314_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1203927574_thumb.jpg

post-6957-1203927583_thumb.jpg

Archived