Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

37g AGA Help out/Follow Along

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

Hi everyone, I'm keeping this post as a diary for my first SW tank. I bought the tank and equipment last weekend and set it up the same day. Here is what I got: 37g AGA tank, Current USA 130watt lighting system with dual actinic and 10k and 7k daylights with lunar light buit in, a CPR refugium/protein skimmer as my filtering unit, 2 Maxi-Jet 600's for flow, Pro Heat 150w heater, digital temp gauge, 20lbs base sand, and seeded with 8lbs of live sand. 32lbs of various LR and various algae and LR rubble in the refugium.

The tank has been running now for two weeks and when I took the levels with my Marine Test Kit and my levels were all zero except for Nitrate which was 20ppm. I had a nice algae bloom all over my rocks, glass and custom background and since the levels were low the LFS I go to and trust told me to do a 20% water change and pick up a few snails and crabs, so I did.

2 Cerith 2 Blue Legged Hermits

2 Astrea 2 Red Legged Hermits

2 Margarita Snails 1 Zebra Hermit

My mom then decided to surprise me with a blue/green chromis pair two days later, which I liked but kinda knew the tank wasn't ready and didnt want to add them ;) but I did and they are doing fine. Here are pics of my tank (still lots of algae) and any advice or comments are much appreciated. Thank you! :)

post-19347-1144127882_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HotRod68Camaro

what anemone is that? i dont think there is any anemone that will flourish under that amount of light.

you should not do a water change untill the cycle is complete or it will prolong the cycle.

im really digging the background looks good

VannReefer87

thanks hotrod, its a condy anemone that was given to me...again i know i should be stocking so early and i'm not going to do a water change until the cycle is complete. Anyone think i need more snails to clear up the algae?

HotRod68Camaro

the algae will slow down once the cycle is complete so i would say just wait till the cycle and see if you already have enough to take care of the algae

Just making sure, but you do know that the clownfish won't go in that condy, right? Otherwise, just take it slow(er) b/c you're off to a decent start.

VannReefer87

Thanks Koqut, I was told that the clown would not go into the Condy, but the Condy was free and I was told it was a good starter anenome. I eventually will get a bubble tip for the clown and give to condy to a friend with a AP.

VannReefer87

Hey, my mom called me today at school (college) and said that my tank had a brownish film on top of the water, the tank is still cycling and has a chromis and clown in it ( I know not a good idea, mom put them in there) anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it?

VannReefer87

how much do those run?...cuz I have a protien skimmer running now...and the refugium takes up a lot of room on the back of the tank

Could I hook it up to one of my power heads already in there?

Obsessed Reefer

I'm pretty sure you could. And you only have 2 600's??? I have a 1200 on my 12G NC DX? Might want to add some.

VannReefer87

that would be great, maybe I could even hook it up to the intake to my protein skimmer and have it act as in intake and surface skimmer at once. As far as the two power heads, they might be bigger..I made this thread at college and don't have the boxes right in front of me, I'll def check that out tho. Thanks

VannReefer87

no, they are both 600's I just looked at my pic and I can see the label that says "Maxi-Jet 600" Maybe I'll pick up a bigger power head this weekend for the one side and run the other maxi-jet down towards the bottom of the tank.

Obsessed Reefer

if you consider 3 snails livestock... lol not yet. im goin on a cruise in may and cant find someone to feed fish and all that so not till after that.

Obsessed Reefer

HA. mine was cycled in like a week. if you look at when i first added rock and all the algea that was on it. no need for outbreaks lol

Seeing as this is your first foray into SW, and you have compact flourescent lighting, I would get rid of that Condy ASAP. If it dies, it will nuke your whole tank, killing all your fish.

Call your LFS to see if they will give you store credit for the thing. Make sure you call BEFORE you go! B) Nothing like packing up livestock, driving to the store to find out they won't give you $$$ for it! :rant:

Just a suggestion... You seem to be doing okay (going a bit fast, but you realize that) and we all want to see your tank thrive.

Also, if you point (at least one of) your powerheads toward the surface, it should break up the water, helping your nastay film buildup. Not straight up, though... For a guide, look at the directions. ;)

Best of luck to you!

VannReefer87

Thanks alot Smadda!!..I agree the Condy probably needs to go, is there any way to tell if its going to die? He looks very well and he's been in there for 4 days, thanks everyone, I'll save this tank yet! :)

Archived