Pod Your Reef

New Technique

Schwazreef

Here are some new pics all taken by my fiance using a technique discussed in the current "Coral" magazine. I havent read the article yet but the shots turned out great. The rics, neon green zoas, and jawfish are in the nanocube, the rest is in the breeder.

100_1053.jpg

100_1055.jpg

100_1057.jpg

100_1058.jpg

100_1059.jpg

100_1061.jpg

100_1068.jpg

100_1069.jpg

100_1072.jpg

Feedback is always encouraged!

OK, between what Laura said to me about what she did and what the article says I got this.

Flash is important. Remote flash is the best plan but since most of us dont have one, hold the camera lense up against the glass, flush, and as close as possible.

That way, I believe, the angle between the flash's reflection and the lense is to steep to be captured in the image (?). The result is simply a well lit shot, w/o the appearnce of glass.

They also suggest that blurry focus is often caused by not holding the camera square with the pane of glass that you are shooting through. The above method eliminates this as a problem.

The key drawback Laura came across is this: Using the Flower Icon, Close-up setting on our camera allows a focal distace of between ~6-18". If you want to shoot something closer or further using this method you must either a.) move the subject or b.) use manual focus.

They also outline the advantages of having/using a tripod.

All in all the article is helpful and has some simple pointers that apparently work.

ive put my camera right up against the glass for my hamsters. i used the speed/motion option with fill flash and it looked pretty good.

probably the same concept being used here.

Sparkling Surfer, Your tank thread and uncompromising endorsment of this wonderful fish were a big influence on my decision to get one. He make me want to visit the Maldives Islands someday.

Nice shots. Especially of the jawfish.

I'm not a big fan of flash and the aquarium. It's good for catching motion pics of certain fish, but it looks somewhat unnatural IMO.

You can always use the largest file setting on your camera, then crop the image down, focusing on your subject instead of trying to get one large detailed close up. It works well sometimes.

Archived