Coral Vue Hydros

Comprehensive National LFS guide Idea

Pili

Anyone think to do think to do this? There are plenty of local reef club sites that have some review of local stores but there is no place that has a national (even international) guide/search for stores. I think it would help the local buisinesses as well as the newer reefers as LFS could advertise if you search a certain area.

I could probebly build/host the a website (or have it built b/c my dad just became a board member of a web design company :P ) .

Anybody have any thoughts on it?

Anyone think to do think to do this? There are plenty of local reef club sites that have some review of local stores but there is no place that has a national (even international) guide/search for stores. I think it would help the local buisinesses as well as the newer reefers as LFS could advertise if you search a certain area.

I could probebly build/host the a website (or have it built b/c my dad just became a board member of a web design company :P ) .

Anybody have any thoughts on it?

cichlid-forum.com has a pretty good fw database going, good place to look at.

Chris

Guys,

I'm actually already working on this idea.. I have the script installed and working and I am still working on the "looks" of the site, but you can start putting in information if you like.

It will be a list of LFS seperated by state and people can review them and rate them.. :D

http://www.findmylfs.com is the address to the site.

Be careful...there have been several lawsuits brought against reefers about what they posted on the internet. Someone else posted loinks about here somewhere. Some lfs owners take this seriously. Just an FYI (no, I don't own an lfs). SH

cool, thats exactly what i was thinking about rjg.

steelhealr, how is this different from say a zagots review. Maybe because its not voluntary? Still, i think people have a right to voice their opinions and if the LFS doesnt like it than they should use peoples comments to make their stores better.

I assume that we will cross that bridge when we get to it, but my feelings on it right now is that if the reviewer and the lfs can't come to some agreement, then I will remove the LFS altogether and they will just not appear.

Just to be clear, the reviews will actually be approved by a moderator first just to make sure people aren't posting trash talk, that wouldn't help anybody at all...

Nothing very fancy.. The only thing I want to add at this point is a nice header of some sort...

I changed all the colors around, not that there is alot of color :D, and I have changed some of the formatting around to. The script was one that I bought and you should have seen it before my changes, it was pretty scarry.

What about internet stores? Geography isn't an issue but service and selection certainly are.

There would also be an opportunity to sell advertising on the site. This would cover some of the costs.

Good idea.

Hey...I'm big on giving info here and also have posted some ratings on venders I dealt with. I'm just posting an FYI. I don't recall exactly how the lawsuits went, but, people started a thread and were going on about how bad a service one lfs gave. The lfs sued the people who posted on that thread...I THINK there was a settlement involved. I'm just saying...the same as anyone would caution....what you post is available for all to see on the internet. Just use smarts.

Maybe someone can find the link. SH

nice idea, but i do see SH's concern.

should work, just got to keep it moderated.

i added all the stores in idaho, but did it before i found out i could register.

do you plan to add a way to report "bad" links? or just use the "report to site admin link" on the front page? i looked at the tennessee listing and the one there was actually in alabama. if these are approved before being added i guess that means this was intentional but seems out of place. ill try and add the ones in TN in a couple of hours, gotta go to class :/

Guys,

That sounds great.. Yes, I am keeping it moderated for the reasons that have been talked about here..

To report bad links, please use the email link, until I find something different or better for that function. I will correct the LFS that you are talking about, I don't consider it local if you are 2 states away. :D

I am considering adding an Internet section to, seeing as so many people buy online, it makes sense to have a place for reviews for them...

Thaks everyone for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

Hey...I'm big on giving info here and also have posted some ratings on venders I dealt with. I'm just posting an FYI. I don't recall exactly how the lawsuits went, but, people started a thread and were going on about how bad a service one lfs gave. The lfs sued the people who posted on that thread...I THINK there was a settlement involved. I'm just saying...the same as anyone would caution....what you post is available for all to see on the internet. Just use smarts.

Maybe someone can find the link. SH

Hey SH, what do you think crossing the line would entail? Like saying a place is generally expensive, or would you have to get personal and really slam them? :angry:

Well,

I would think anything personal or really slamming would do it. A general assesment that the prices are high compared to other stores in the area

I think would be fair.

It's a tough call....I don't think anyone can be sued to say that service was curt.....or..prices were high, etc. But...I think if one really starts going on about things ..like...the tanks were horrible and there were dead fish all over the place.......and continue it ......I might think that an lfs might bet p.o'd. and want to take action. I'll try and find that lawsuit link if I have time. SH

lol - you know how much lawyers cost! The average LFS owner would never have enough cash to take on legal action. Sometimes large hobby companies will threaten to sue, but it almost never lands in court, as it is bad for sales.

and to file for defamation (?) they would have to proove that your comments were outright lies said in order to win.

guess you guys aren't using this yet ->

http://zoyzoy.com/aquarium/aquariumstoresm...=08610&Size=800

feel free to add any stores in your area and comments about them ;)

Mark, that is nice... The point in the site that I setup is it lets you add comments about the store in addition to the reviews and such which that site doesn't let you do yet.

I appreciate everyones comments.. We have 40 stores so far in 2 days, not a bad start!

Archived