SaltCritters.com

Custom Overflowing Tank for Clams

pandabehr

Just recived all the parts for my new Nano. Its a 24 gallon all acrylic tank that will house rare clams and sps. The design is to allow water to enter the tank through the bottom of the tank. The water then will overflow all four sides and flow into a tray below that will drain into a sump.

Supplies

20"x20"x14" custom cube tank

24"x24"x2" black acrylic drainage tray

Stock oceanic 30 cube stand

scwd

mag 5

5.5 gallon aga sump

2.5 gallon aga refugium (gravity fed)

I not sure what lights I.m going to use. My first thought is a 250 watt aquamedic pendant with a 14.5k megachrome bulb. The the 24x6 bulb T-5 tek light cought my eye... Still trying to decide.

I will post pics as I progress..

more pics

more

Just recived all the parts for my new Nano. Its a 24 gallon all acrylic tank that will house rare clams and sps. The design is to allow water to enter the tank through the bottom of the tank. The water then will overflow all four sides and flow into a tray below that will drain into a sump.

Supplies

20"x20"x14" custom cube tank

24"x24"x2" black acrylic drainage tray

Stock oceanic 30 cube stand

scwd

mag 5

5.5 gallon aga sump

2.5 gallon aga refugium (gravity fed)

I not sure what lights I.m going to use. My first thought is a 250 watt aquamedic pendant with a 14.5k megachrome bulb. The the 24x6 bulb T-5 tek light cought my eye... Still trying to decide.

I will post pics as I progress..

more pics

more

post-813-1131076012_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131076030_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131076124_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131076142_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131076201_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131076361_thumb.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check valves, check valves, check valves! :D;)

-Dan

Installed, Installed, Installed,....I'll post a pic of the plumbing when all of the glue dries.

hope you don't plan on keeping it where that pic is taken. I could only imagane how much salt spray and water spray a 14" (tall) x 20" (long) waterfall, with the flow to be able to support SPS would make...IMO it could be harmfull to your wall.

VERY interesting idea! I am definitly along for the ride. Best make sure your tank is level. Also, are you confident the water flowing outside the acrylic won't obscure your view of your rare clams?

Just curious, I like your idea a lot!

VERY interesting idea! I am definitly along for the ride. Best make sure your tank is level. Also, are you confident the water flowing outside the acrylic won't obscure your view of your rare clams?

Just curious, I like your idea a lot!

I actually plan on keeping it on my front porch on a 45 degree tilt. When it freezes it over I am going to play hockey on it.

This aquarium is very, very, very well planed out. Thanks to some of my fellow co-workers at TMS...

here are a few pics of the of the plumbing.

Just wanted to throw out a few pics to share...

post-813-1131077475_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131077496_thumb.jpg

I did not mean to knock your idea.... I'm just saying that (and clearly you know this...) it is important for your tank specifically to be level.

I built my own stand and tank with a custom over-the-wall overflow and I figured it would be very important for it to be level. My stand is indeed very level, but my floor is not. Luckely for me it still works as it should.

/EDIT/

You've shocked minimalist.... your idea must be good!

If the overflow does distort your view, you can always build up the top of one or two sides to leave those panels unobstructed by water. I can't wait to see this baby functioning. Are you capable of making videos?

The entire aquarium is level. My basement floors are as level as I have ever seen in a house. I was worried that leveling would be a problem. Once I got everything together and measured....whew...plum level. My only worry now is leaking from the bulkheads.

I'm going back and forth on the light idea... T-5 would surely be cool...But halide is old reliable....

The entire aquarium is level. My basement floors are as level as I have ever seen in a house. I was worried that leveling would be a problem. Once I got everything together and measured....whew...plum level. My only worry now is leaking from the bulkheads.

I'm going back and forth on the light idea... T-5 would surely be cool...But halide is old reliable....

Yes. I can make videos...But it will be a while. The main pump will be on a control box. When ever I want a "side view" of the tank I'll just switch the pump off for a few. But this tank was designed as a look down tank...tidepool style.

For anyone that was at the last MACNA.... ORA had a set up like this as thier display tank. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen... Had to have me one!

HOT!

Congrats on getting it all put togeather....can't wait to see it filled and running!

I just glued the last pvc joint. Next step is to fill this bad boy to see If I have any leaks anywhere. Then I am going to drill the sump (dremel and Diamond bit) for an iceporbe chiller. I have already drilled my 2.5 gallon for my gravity fed fuge. Still have to plumb in that. I hope to get the lights soon... Maybe next week. I thinking maybe buna branch rock.....Marhsall Island has been nice lately though....

I have decided to go with the aquamedic 250 watt pendant. I may get the T-5 tek light later on....

I just finished the custom lighting bracket. I used galvanized steel piping. It came out better than I imagined. I am going to primer then spray paint the tubing with gloss black enamel. To prevent rust I am going to put about 10 coats of clear coat on the tubing. I did a a test today. All I can say is wow!

I plan to do a fresh water test all day monday. Hopefully next week I'll have rock in this bad boy.

more pics to come!

Wow! I've never seen a tank designed like this before. I'm interested to follow your progress.

If I can make one small request...?

Lots of pictures please! :)

Oh WOW, I am really anxious to see how this progresses! This tank is gonna be off the hook! You'll definitely have to do a video too! Good choice on the MH lights :)

some pics on the progress.... Getting closer....

Installed an american DJ control box in the side of the stand. Excuse the mess. Im going to trim it in tomorrow.

The next pics will have the light and the sump/fuge installed, tomorrow..

post-813-1131172407_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131172497_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131172515_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131172526_thumb.jpg

This is looking good already! Watching the Progress.

sunday.. 11/6/05

I picked up a 250 watt aquamedic pendant yesterday. I have it installed. I previously owned a Giesemann Nova II 150 watt pendant on my 30 cube. This bad boy looks ever better that the Nova II. I may have to downgrade fro a mag 5 to a mag 3. The flow might be just a tad too much for even acro's. I know the flow will be too much for the clams. I'll let it run for a few days to see what happens. The plumbing went smoothly. I have water running. It is great! When the scwd switches to a different side of the tank overflows. The effect is even cooler that having a constant flow over all four sides. So far nothing I can see will be a problem. Here's a few pics... Hopefully I will have the fuge set up and the osomolator ready to go tomorrow. I'll be putting some buna branch in this weekend. I still have to neaten up the wiring, primer and paint the light bracket and install the 2x 4 watt dimmable blueline moonlights.

post-813-1131331833_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131331851_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131331863_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131331896_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131331907_thumb.jpg

post-813-1131331934_thumb.jpg

Its a great concept. I've seen others do it on RC and other sites. Sweet set-up you've got there. My main concern would be nast salt creep from the flowing on all four sides. Keep us posted on how this is. Great work!

Its a great concept. I've seen others do it on RC and other sites. Sweet set-up you've got there. My main concern would be nast salt creep from the flowing on all four sides. Keep us posted on how this is. Great work!

If someone has a link to another tank similar, please post it.

Archived