inTank Media Baskets

Custom 10-Gallon Canopy Plans

ross76053

Just finished building a custom canopy for my standard 10-gallon, and I documented the process along the way. Chris, I'd like to apologize in advance for the number of pics in this post.

Building this hood will require a few power tools. If you don't have them, hopefully you can borrow them from a friend. And I hate to sound like your dad, but when using power tools, always wear protective eyewear.

Tools/Materials Needed:

2 pieces of 2x2x1/2 "Project Board" (your choice of wood)

90-degree Trim

Baseboard Trim

1/2 x 1 inch trim

Table Saw or Circle Saw

Miter Saw (optional)

Nail Gun (optional)

Drill

Hole Saw - 1 1/2 inch

2 PC Fans - 1 1/2 inch

Straight Edge

Measuring Tape

Pencil

Wood Glue

Sandpaper

Wood Filler (that matches stain color)

Wood Stain (I prefer Minwax)

Tack Cloth

Sealant (Varathane is best for Marine use)

Foam Brush Applicator

Cotton Cloth

Screwdriver

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start with two 2x2x1/2 inch "Project Wood", as Lowe's calls it. Use the wood you like the best...oak, pine, poplar, etc. Just remember these measurements assume you'll be using 1/2 inch wood. The three main pieces should be cut as follows:

Using a table saw, make the necessary cuts. Pay special attention to which side of your mark you cut on - always cut on the outer edge of the line. If you don't, your pieces won't line up.

You can also make your cuts with a circle saw, but it will be much more difficult to get straight cuts. You might also be able to get a lumber yard to make the cuts for you for a small price.

Mitering these pieces is a little tricky. I went through a good bit of wood because I didn't measure accurately. If you miter too much, you'll need to re-create the nice piece you just ruined, so be careful.

For the side pieces, there is no miter cut on the back - it's flush.

Knowing that my PC reflector is 2" tall, I marked off a 2" area in which to mount my fan. I also marked off the 1" overhang I want to cover up the ugly black plastic strip on the top of my tank.

You'll need to buy a cover for the hole you'll drill in each side of the canopy for your fans. The best place to get them - an electronics discount store. I found two different types here, but decided to use the black plastic ones - they came with a thin air filter (BONUS).

At this point, I set my reflector on the underside of the top piece and marked where I'd be mounting it. I also marked where I'd be putting my 13w dawn/dusk PC.

I put a mark in the middle of the reflector - on the edge so I'd know where to mount my fans. Since I have a 2x36 kit, I wanted the fans to blow directly between each bulb.

After standing up the side pieces on the underside of the top piece, I was able to estimate where the fans would be mounted. I placed a mark on the first side piece, and put an opposing mark on the second side piece.

Then I clamped each piece to get ready for the hole saw.

As I mentioned earlier, there's a 1-inch black plastic strip at the top of a standard 10-gallon tank. To cover it up, I glued a piece of 1/2 x 1 trim exactly one inch up from the bottom of each side piece, which gave me a 1-inch overhang over the tank.

These are the pieces the tank rests on, so use a good amount of glue here - this hood isn't light.

I placed the fan over each hole and marked where the screws went. I went ahead and lightly pre-drilled the holes.

You don't want to spend alotta time on a canopy and have it split on you, so any time you use screws on your wood, pre-drill the screw hole (just a bit smaller than your screw).

I knew I wanted a built-in piece of glass in my hood, but didn't know the best way to do it. This is what I came up with...

I used more of the 1 x 1/2 inch trim and glued it very close together on each piece (you can decide how high on your hood you want it). This turned out to be a pain later during painting/sealing.

In the end, this worked out well, but if I had it to do again, I'd just use padded L-brackets - four on each piece. It would've been much easier.

Archived