inTank Media Baskets

Millmods v1.2 pre-production

NanoBob

I have had several people request my skimmer with deeper "teeth" so here it is. Pricing has not yet been determined. If there is a price change it will not be substantial.(machining time is longer)

Those of you who have the v1.1 models and would like to upgrade can return your skimmer and I will modify it for a small fee ($10 to $12)

New v1.2 will be $40.00 shipped.

Thanks,

Bob

post-12987-1131652423_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pain and e:

Give me a few days to work out some kinks in the machining process. Since the teeth are longer, they need to be handled a bit more gently. The first one I cut with the same process as v1.1 broke two teeth off as I was milling it. I modified the milling programs, but have not tried it yet. I have a few ideas if that fails. I am pretty confident that I will have things ironed out shortly. As soon as I have a stragety that works I will let you know.

Thanks in advance for your patience,

Bob

Hi all I'm glad I found this sight. It's neat to know there are forums dedicated to the nanocube. I got my cube about 6 weeks ago and I love it. I was browsing ebay and I found another skimmer on there that already has deep slots. It was cheaper too, so I bought it. I got it a few days ago and it just blew me away how fast the junk on top of my tank was cleared off. If you guys don't want to wait, you should order the one I found on ebay i think i just typed nanocube skimmer in the search box.

IMO - that's uncool to hijack a thread like that, coralbuff. You should start a different thread if you want to advertise a different product. Nanoskimguy didn't try to sell his product in Nanobob's thread - seems they both have a mutual respect.

Yeah, sorry about that, I was just a little excited about my skimmer and not having to put the ugly cassette tape in my tank. I apologize nanobob and nanoskimguy, I'm not trying to start anything...

That is a very clean design...

I have alot of surface aggitation and right now no slick but the minute I start to have a problem I will get my order in.

Paingod and ereefer:

I worked out the machining issues with this version. I will test one tonight in my 24NC, if all goes well I will have some ready this week. The cost will be slightly higher because of machining time, but like I said not that much. The new price for v1.2 is $40.00 shipped.

Thanks,

Bob

Hey NanoBob,

Do you have any info on upgrading the current 1.1 skimmer to the 1.2?

The machinery on yours are second to none, and I would like to stick with it instead of switching "brands".

But the flow rate with the short teeth isn't adiquate (I will also be adding the Maxi Jet 900 in my tank soon).

Thank you.

Eclipseagent:

I am going to be offering those who purchased the v1.1 model an option to upgrade for $10.00. I just finished the first v1.2 skimmer this weekend and I am testing in my cube right now. Everything has been going well as of now. I am going to give it another day or two and then I will give you and the others who are interested the shipping info.

Thanks for the compliments on my skimmer. I really take pride in providing the best product I can.

Bob

Man you are making a killing on these if they are actually selling at $40 a pop....what crazy people will do for a piece of acrylic with slots in it...

Proraptor:

I am far from making a killing on these skimmers. I am not using acrylic. They are made from solid corian (if you have bought a corian countertop you know how much that stuff costs!) and milled on my CNC machine at work. The process from start to finish takes about an hour and a half for each skimmer if I take into account saw cutting and squaring them up before the milling process. The actual CNC time is about 45 to 50 minutes. Machine time runs about $80.00 an hour. The only way I am able to do this is because my employer has been kind enough to let me go in on Sunday and work on them.

I apreciate your opinion and do not take offense, but I would like everyone to understand that this is something I am doing to help people who want to maintain a "stock" look to their cube and still get a quality product.

Regards,

Bob

I have a nano-bob skimmer in my NC6 and really like it. The machine work is exceptional and it does not take away from the display. It looks like it came from the factory with my NC. I have a photo of it installed posted in my gallery. I have been waiting for the deep slot version to come out. I cant wait to put one of these in my 12DX. I think its great that we have so many people out there being creative and making the NC better.

Originally posted by proraptor

Man you are making a killing on these if they are actually selling at $40 a pop....what crazy people will do for a piece of acrylic with slots in it...

Crazy people that like awesome quality products that ARE NOT MADE FROM ACRYLIC would buy this product. People that want a surface skimmer that just blends in with the tank, buy this product (it is not a "Square" design, it tapers and really blends into the rank IMO.

To compare this with another skimmer of its kind is like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari, this being the ferrari.

Bob, let me know how the testing goes, I am very intrested in sending mine back for an "Upgrade".

Is there any way we can get a replacement and send the original back? Please email me (ben@mtgcardhouse.com)

proraptor

Aren't most NanoCube owners a little crazy over kick ass mods while maintaining the "stock" look? I must be one of the crazies for dropping hundreds of dollars and weeks of modding time to upgrade my lights just so that it looks as though I did nothing to my tank from the outside appearance and all those that order nanocustom lighting upgrades must be crazy too for wanting kick ass lighting (and service). $40 is just a drop in the bucket in this hobby. Proraptor, if you own a NanoCube, do yourself a favor and get one of these and be crazy like the rest of us ;) (hope I'm not offending anyone, please note the sarcasm in this post although there is some truth in it...damn, have to be so PC and sensitive nowadays)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, The first few v1.2 skimmers are out and all is well. Here is the 12 gal model. If you are interested in upgrading please e-mail or PM me and I will get back with you ASAP.

I also wanted to let everyone know that Chris at www.nanotuners.com has been kind enough to carry my skimmer. So feel free to pick one up there!

Bob

Archived