Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bulkhead and Loc-line for Newcomers

steelhealr

Hi...when I got here, I was frustrated that there were certain things available to me that I just didn't understand. One was what a bulkhead was and what it was used for. One of the mods for a Nano Cube is putting your stock pump in chamber one and having the outflow exit from chamber two...or..some put the pump in two if they don't have a refugium and the outflow exits from above.

Since my tank was already stocked, I didn't want to do any drilling so I made a 'bulkheadless' outflow which is on a thread here. But...for those curious about this BEFORE they stock their tank, here are some of the parts needed. There are many ways to do this. Also not shown is a wrench that clips these parts together. The pictures start from top down:

nano45.jpg

1) bulkhead..basically a large screw with a rubber gasket that gives you a conduit between a wall. The one pictured is a 1/2" bulkhead. You would need to drill or dremel a hole 1 1/8" wide to insert this

2) 1/2 inch Loc-line flexible tubing; it bends almost to a right angle. The end fits snugly on the 'sump side' of the bulkhead.

3) 1/2" Loc-line ball socket elbow

4) 1/2" Loc-line ball socket MPT connector; this can screw into the tank-side part of the bulkhead easily

5) 1/2" Loc-line 2.5 inch flare nozzle

Laying them out flat in one configuration, you can see how this would fit through the sump wall:

nano46.jpg

NB: there are many types of connections, eg, you may not need the elbow connector. However, this is a start to understand what this plumbing is and what the terms are. Hope this helps if you are researching this out. SH

Archived