Cultivated Reef

check out my 10g - pics a plenty

mattgreene22

mattgreene22

Ahhhh..continued enjoyment...I've finally got livestock. Here is my 10g...and first reef tank...it is and will be fishless. This will tide me over until I move and set up my 30g. How do you like it so far?

Thanks to Reef Hugger for the inhabitants...all of them. Glad you didn't send more...this was probably a little much at once for the tank size.

BTW...the corals have only been in one day...and that wood you see slanting over the tank in some pics is holding my 96w quad pc higher over the water for a day or so before I lower it down to tank level.

Feel free to suggest improved coral placement for health/aesthetics...that would REALLY be helpful...I guess I might move them once more in the short term ...or as necessary. I'm not planning to add more live rock right now (though my aquascaping could use the help)...simply because I don't want another mini-cycle with critters in the tank...maybe a bit more FULLY cured from a trusty local...but only if I come upon something that would work (for example, to turn the piece on the right side into a cave top with the monti elevated towards the light).

1) full frontal

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...php?photo=13138

2) from the left

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...00&ppuser=13093

3) from the right

4) orange/red monti cap

5) monti digi and another cap

6) 2 colors of candy (the green and red had a problem prior to shipping...but if it survives then it's a freebie...anyone want to make a prediction??)

Not pictured in close-up: the 2 gsp (front center, front left), the purple acan frag (front left-center), undetermined purple monti (upper left), and two little yumas (middle center)...my gallery here ran out of room...maybe later when I get some bigger storage.

ProFlatlander15

the candy cane will be fine. i had a eunice worm eat nearly all of my candy cande and within a few days it was completely grown back.

tank looks good...how about running a fuge in the HOB?

looks good so far. are you going to add a background. It would hide alot of those wires, and if you get blue it will make that orange monti really pop out.

mattgreene22

ProFlatlander15 - thanks for the calming thoughts....I hope it pulls through. It's feeders are out this morning for the first time(lights still off)...so I'm optimistic too. Oh, the HOB Penguin mini is just too small for a fuge...I'm using it to run carbon mostly. I did pick up a used 20" Aquafuge for cheap...but haven't decided if I'm going to use it on this tank yet...I'd like to...but it IS 20" long and would run the whole back of my tank. Not sure.

BelowH2O - Thank for the tip. I remember your 10g original post (inspiring) and WOW did yours look good. The white behind my tank is my fridge...which may actually help keep more light in the tank...so I was still figuring out if I wanted a background. I probably will...but do you think the white backgound reflective qualities will help those sps enough to put up with it?? Yeah...I would like to hid the wires. I may put the Aquafuge on just so I can move my heater and such. I'm also working on plans for a closed loop to get my phs out of the tank. I've got 2 used mj1200s and an unused mag3...anyone want to throw me an idea...thinking I might use the mjs external with hdor flows right now....gotta save some money for lighting on my future 30g.

mattgreene22

I suppose I could experiment with backgrounds...try blue, black...and white. I could just use a white laminate like you find those pre-made shelves topped with at Lowes....that might be interesting...and it's water-proof essentially.

Ok...another pic.

7) purple/pink monti...who can ID it...that'd be nice

purple-monti-tbd.gif

Tried to get my acan up today too...but the image I took the other night up but it's too dark and it looks totally unrealistic when I tried to brighten it (not my thing). Question for Acan keepers though...do you have pics handy with their feeders out? Either mine is got them out very short...or I'm seeing tissue recession...looks white just around the mouth...makes me nervous. I'll get a pic of that up this weekend for a visual if I can get a decent shot.

mattgreene22

Regarding my worried question about feeders vs tissue-recession. I have been calmed....thanks to the acan thread.

Go figure, we should all search/research first?

;)

Ok...stealing pics just for representation...these are not my own!

Ok...my acan's "condition" looks a lot like this..guessing they're so short, which threw me, due to current (Tigahboy's pic...not mine):

0126f.jpg

My acan is the same as Seanewb's (both from Reef Hugger)...and here is HIS pic...until I can post my own (Seanewb...hope I can get as good a shot):

Acan1.jpg

mattgreene22

Thanks to all for the input so far.

Is anyone able to ID that purple monti yet? I'll have more pics up sometime this weekend...GSP, Yumas (if I can focus on something as small as these), and my own acan.

mattgreene22

Ok...just for the record....as of right now there were 488 views and 7 replies. 4 of the replies were mine...make that 5 of 8 with this post.

Am I everyone's dirty secret that you just can't talk about? :blush:

:P;)

mattgreene22, I can't help you with id's but I can tell you it looks like a great start. Yep, a background will help. I have a 10 gal setup pretty much like yours (just born 2 weeks ago) and have the 96pc lighting. I'll keep watching your thread for ideas esp on your filtration set up. Thanks!

mattgreene22

Thanks arbee. My tank is extremely young too....and I'm sure others would disagree with how fast I stocked it. Though I wish I'd had the time/patience to let it age...I did make sure I had a cycle and that I finished it. The tank's youth and size is why I didn't plan to introduce fish...but family and friends really want to see something "more exciting"....maybe down the road I'll cave...like in 3-6 months. Don't worry, I'll continue to tinker with my filtration etc and will post.

Ok, It looks like some hair algae came in with my gsp rock (my story and stickin to it)....so this will be a fun challenge. Mixing some saltwater tonight for a 25% water change tomorrow...gonna check params too....maybe I WILL get that Aquafuge going.

Right now I've only got coral in the tank...there hadn't been anything for a clean-up crew to eat....but I think that has changed now that I've got some macro and micro getting a little out of hand. Any suggestions for hair algae eaters that I won't regret buying later? Do turbos eat hair algae? Could buy one and take it back later. I think I'll go ahead and buy a couple ceriths too for the long term. Shying away from hermits and crabs I think.

Actually, Turbos do eat hair algae that isn't too long. I have just one Turbo in my 10 and he goes to town. You can also consider a black spine urchin or a lettuce nudibranch too (they'll eat hair algae that's taller).

I like the Astrea and Cerith snails. They seem to do well in my 12G Cube. I let the algae grow about 2 weeks the let them in there to go at it. They had everything clean and sparkling in just a few days. I took out 2 of the astreas and one cerinth to put in the new 10 gal. I got a total of 5 astreas, 5 ceriths and three Bumblebees. The bees just hide in the rock, don't know if they contribute to the 'cause' or not. I stayed away from Turbo's simply because I worried about my rockwork getting tumbled. If/when I stabilize a few pieces of rock, and still feel the need for the turbo's I may get one or two.

mattgreene22 I noticed your 'cat tv' LOL

I have the ten gallon tank set low for one of my two yorkies that love to watch 'fish tv'. You tell her to 'go see the fish' and she tears down the steps in a flash and runs to the tank, barks and turns circles then licks the glass. I see the other dogs under my computer desk and turn around and there is Eiren, sitting in the dark watching the lit tank. It's amusiing to see them get as much pleasure as we do from watching.

mattgreene22

Duke13/arbee, thanks for the input!

I've been working on my bathroom remodel all weekend...so I haven't had time to update this thread with pics yet. Besides, GHA is all over and I haven't had a chance to get a background...so not so pretty yet either.

Duke13 - Can you define "isn't too long"? I think the urchin is out since I hear they like to knock things over...and my frags aren't glued down. Likewise, hesitant of the Turbo. Not sure where I'd get the write Nudi...don't want to pay out the wazoo to have a single Nudi shipped that would die when he finished cleaning my little 10g. Still, considering all options...so keep em coming or let me know if my take on above seems off.

arbee - Have you seen any of your snails eat GHA before? If so, which ones?? About my sig...oh yeah...I feed the cichlids and the cats jump up on the arm of the couch and/or chair to watch. It's a corner tank that sits between the couch and chair in an L....so sometimes I get both cats up there, often just one though. Cool story about your Yorkie...dogs are smart...they know how get involved with us. You should get a short movie clip of him licking the glass in front of fish...link it in here or at least send it to an animal video tv show or something. Me...per my wife I had to decide...reef tank or dog....obviously....

Ok...I WILL get more pics up in the next few days...but I doubt anyone will be online the 4th...right...everyone but me will be having fun somewhere?? I'll be putting in a toilet and sink...and...oh boy...

Matt, I don't think a single Turbo would pose too much of a problem. I know he may bump into thing but I think the trade-off would be worth it. "Isn't long" is defined as 1/4 of an inch. Usually if it's that tall, most critters won't touch it at all (with the exception of a Lettuce Nudibranch, it doesn't care how tall it is).

How often are you feeding? I only feed my tanks once every other day. You could consider getting a bunch of Nassarius snails or Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to clean up the excess food.

Your LFS should sell Lettuce Nudibranches fairly cheap. I can't imagine one being more than $15. Hell, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for one. Just be cautious with your powerheads since they like to get sucked in and die. Remember, you can always 'rent' a Lettuce and then take it back to your LFS after the deed is done.

mattgreene22

DarkXerox - Well if it is...I certainly didn't pay $90 for my frag (see link). But it doesn't exactly look like the one on that site...but hmm...thanks Dark...have to keep this on in mind as a possible id.

Confusa - http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedmontiporaconfusa.htm

or maybe it's Undata? - http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/html/...20pages/278.htm

Duke13 - Thanks duke...i think i'd be pushing the limit then. maybe i'll get a turbo and start picking by hand. i had tried to pull it off the glass myself but i couldn't get my fingers on it...too short. it's a bit longer now...so while it makes it easer for me...i guess it's less likely the tubo would eat it. experimentation time. As far as the nudi...I rarely see the lettuce ones here...just ones I wouldn't ever buy (strange diets). maybe i'll get lucky and find a lettuce nudi today though...it'd be nice to knock this stuff out. oh, and i haven't been feeding. the live rock was bought fully cycled and all my corals are able to sustain themselves (so far) with just light and whatever is coming out of my rock. I do hope to start feeding soon to promote growth...but not until i get the gha under control. by then i'll also have a clean-up crew to help handle any excess.

For those wondering...nope...didn't start my aqufuge yet. But I did install a toilet in my bathroom and plumb my shower and sink...the last one involving me cutting into my freshly painted wall to move the drain and its vent attachment up 3 lousy inches. ahhhh...what fun ;)

Matt, another thing you can try tape a toothbrush to the end of your syphon hose and scrub away. That's what I did because I wasn't patient enough.

mattgreene22

Thanks Duke - I'll probably be trying any and all options. Push every (safe) button and see what happens...so to speak.

BTW...here is shot of the algae on my powerhead along with some kind of macro on my LR....for scale, that's the rio 180. The stuff is bigger/longer on my glass.

algae-ph.jpg

Took some other tank pics...but they all came out like crap...too blurry.

Hopefully I'll get something up soon for the rest of the pics I've meant to post.

mattgreene22

ok...using auto-balance...this one isn't as bad as I thought initially...still not good though. Seanewb's is better for color.

8 ) small frag of purple/lavender acan echinata

acan2.jpg

you better take care of that hair algae before it gets bad. I had it along the back wall almost covering it and had to scrape it off for a while until I got it under control. That stuff grows fast!

mattgreene22

as i can alex...i'm trying to. had to buy ro the other day and picked up 1 turbo too...might still take your 1 trubo as well though.

hoping to set up the fuge this weekend if possible.

the turbo i bought is definitely eating the gha...started as soon as i got him out of the floating bag....must of thought i was teasing him or something just letting him float around in it like that ;)

still, he seems to have slowed down now...likely eating his body weight and more so it's not surprising if he feels full. i'm hoping another hungry one (or a few hungry astreas) could help. once i get it down to something manageable, i hope the coming fuge will keep the unwanted in check...or at least out of sight....then again the aquafuge i have is pretty big for this tank...might hold onto it for my 30g set-up and get a AC300/500 for this 10g. Thoughts on that anyone?

Archived