Cultivated Reef

New custom nano log

melbourne

Hi,

Started my original nano in a 5.5g AGA tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=46156

Decided to upgrade, so I ordered a custom nano tank from www.glasscages.com.

Its 20" long / 14.25" wide / 10.5" high. Trimless top, made of 3/8 glass with a low iron front pane.

I used a bunch of extra equipment from other tanks to keep the cost down.

AquaC Remora Pro skimmer with elbow mod and a Mag 5

Visitherm 50W stealth heater

Maxijet 1200 with Bioflo for water movement (temporary)

Autotop off

70w HQI in PFO pendant with electronic ballast with 20k PSL bulb

Majority of the contents of the 5.5g including some of the softies

and a bunch of other small frags - will add more SPS once the tank stablizes.

I have a various zoas, a cabbage, an orange monti, purple monti, pink pom pom xenia, pink anthelia, two different mushrooms. The liverock is a mix of LR rubble and dead baserock that I use to mount frags on from my larger tank. I'm going to go for some open sandbed and eventually populate the top with more SPS and the sandbed with some smal LPS.

I have 3 Tunze mini-pumps on order from PA to replace the MJ setup and will run them on a spare Red Sea wavemaker I have.

-Mike

Pics

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

Fragged a torch and a frogspwan this weekend, so added two torch frags and one frogspawn, and two more monti frags and one small blue leg hermit. Pleased with the color on the $25 PSL 20k bulb, if this bulb lasts I'll order more.

-Mike

Updated pics

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

Nice tank. I like the aquascaping and thats a great looking orange monti also.

Why the big skimmer though on a small tank?

Thanks - I plan on adding more SPS once I get the mini powerheads. The flow from the MJ1200 is just too strong in that tank. The Remora Pro is an extra one I had so I put it on there to keep costs down. I only item I had to buy for this tank was the tank itself and the 70w HQI setup.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Updated pics:

Added a few more monti frags (green / purple / etc)

Added a few more acro frags (nana / a.floridae / etc)

Added a 3 head candy cane frag

Added a few more softies (zoa/kenya/mushrooms)

DSCN0258.jpg

DSCN0255.jpg

Very nice, the only thing I don't like is how the glass looks on the left side(kinda dirty), im a fan of clean looking tanks.:)

That's the reason I hate my tank, it doesn't look as clean I want it to look.

looks good but if you are plannign on keeping mostly sps and that sort id ditch the anthelia and xenia aspa, those guys take over so much and grow over everything

Yes, I agree the anthelia is a fast grower. The pink pom pom xenia in there is a slow grower, the anthelia I plan on pulling when the tank fills in a bit. Anthelia pulls off in mats so its pretty easy to remove. Need to get my mini Tunzes before I add more SPS since all the flow is from that MJ1200 right now.

I don't clean the side glass on any of my tanks, mainly just to save time since I have 6 other SW tanks eventually they just get covered in coralline (not as bad looking IMO).

I also added a small mangrove tree to the back last night, acclimated to SW over 3 weeks, hopefully it will take.

-Mike

• 4 months later...

did glasscages ship your glass tank to you or did you pick it up?

i wish i had gotten glass with them, their acrylic scratches too easily :( but their workmanship is great. great tank btw :)

I'm curious-

Did you move your Frog(s) because they were stinging other corals.

In the first few pics the Frog seems awfully close to the Xenia.

I have a 10 gallon display and have read that Frogs, Hammers, Bubbles

and other members of that family will sting and should be kept with plenty of space.

I would like to add a member of this family to my tank,

but not if it's going to take out anything within 6 or so inches.

thanks -

Hi,

The only frogspawn is in the middle of the tank, the two LPS that are left and right are torch corals and yes they do sting the softies, they are there to keep the Anthelia and Xenia under control. To the far left is a hammer. I picked up the tank from Glass Cages when they were in the area. I had two tanks built by them both glass with low iron front panes. The low iron scratches very easily but is nice and clear if you keep it clean. I found in terms of LPS, the ones that pack the biggest sting tend to be the torches.

-Mike

Babycakes, your shallow tank is really nice - I'd like to do something like that as well with a surge tank one day.

Mojo, you can keep some LPS pretty close to softies, I'll take a pic of a frogspawn I have in my other tank, nestled between multiple softies.

Mojo,

Here is a pic from one of my other tanks - it shows a frogspawn that is sitting between a large xenia colony (which my clowns host in), and a yellow polyp colony (that has tried to grow up but the frogspawn keeps it back), and a yellow devil's hand, and an orange cap. There is also a gorgonian in there but its pretty far away from the frogspawns tentacles. The frogspawn has been in that position for about a year or so. So in my experience you can keep LPS in proximity to softies - you will have some stinging but it can be done.

-Mike

Galaxia's pack a good sting also and have the longest tendrils of the LPS I have, they should be given plenty of room.

DSCN0718.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tank Update:

Took advantage of the LiveAquaria free shipping offer and picked up a bunch of fish. These small tomato clowns will be going into one of my larger tanks

eventually but this is a safe place for them to grow out a bit. Added a little more live rock rubble to the tank and moved some frags around and added

a moon light for night time viewing.

Using Lee's small breeders to isolate the fish (only fish in this tank) - until they are eating flake and the 14 day warranty has passed. These small

breeders work great for isolating fish. They only work in tanks where there is not a lot of surface turbelence, on my larger tanks they sink right away.

frontshot.jpg

topshot.jpg

rightside.jpg

leftside.jpg

the tank is looking good...any chance you can post a pic of your big one??? also i love the clown on the left...he/she is so cute

Thanks, for pics of my other tanks check on www.reefcentral.com my handle is Melbourne there - in my gallery.

The tomato's are aquacultured and are doing well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm going to take some update pics of the tank this week. The clowns haven't paired yet but are doing well.

-Mike

Updated tank pics - not entirely happy with the cheap $25 PSL 20k bulb I've been running. Finding a replacement has been hard since the selection for 70 watt DE bulbs is pretty terrible in the US.

FTS

fts_jan_02.jpg

Left Side

left_side_jan.jpg

Right Side

right_side_jan.jpg

The ever popular Pink Xenia

pink_xenia.jpg

Mushroom removed from 2.5g tank - its grown :)

mushroom_frag.jpg

Misc corals / M.Danae, etc.

misc_shot.jpg

Green M.Digitata with Yellow Damsel

green_monti.jpg

Row of nano's - the 2 in the far back are 2.5g FW planted tanks

row_of_nanos.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
nice

Thanks,

Pruned almost all the softies over the weekend. Replaced my old 70w 20k bulb with a new one.

FTS

FTS_Jan12g-2.jpg

Shot of the 12g and the 2.5g tanks

FTS_Jan12g.jpg

Archived