Coral Vue Hydros

my 150w HQI mini pendant

dhoffroad

this fixture was originaly made for a 70w DE but I ended up geting a 150w instead so I thought I'd make the 150w fit inside the fixture since the shell was already made. when it was going to be a 70w I was using everything from a regent ( socket, reflector, and glass ) but when I steped up to a 150w I had to make my own reflector but I still kept the regent glass. the fixture is 11 3/4" x 5 1/2" x 3 1/2" everyting was made from aluminum (no rust) and painted semi gloss black. I have two fans to help cool the fixture one on either end (fans are 2").

so now I have a question which is better. I have both fans blowing out of the fixture right now but I was wondering if having one pushing in fresh air and the other sucking it thru and out would be better ? I ran the fixture for about a hour and well I was hoping that it would be a little cooler it got prety hot do you think that having one pushin and one sucking would be better than both sucking out the air ?

7782P4160115.JPG

7782P4160116.JPG

7782P4160121.JPG

7782P4160119.JPG

7782P4160126.JPG

hey man have one blowhing in one sucking out. there isnt anywhere for air to come into the fixture so you need to supply it with fresh cool air somehow. btw nice lookin fixture

yea that's what I thought about the fans AFTER I already had it all put together...I will have to switch one arround and see how it works...

madreefer- was'nt too hard if you know and have the right tools to work with metal..and for price well I had all the material except for a couple items I prob got a little over $150 TOTAL into this...

NewbieReefer- well this is the DIY section...I made it..

BTW thanks for the compliments

Travis yea I started to polish some alum sheet (same stuff as the body of the fixture) and said F that too much work..I had some nice clean stuff in the shop so I said what the hell Travis did it and it is prety reflective so thought I'd give it a shot..

Having two blowing in would be best as long as the air has enough holes from which to escape... I think if there was a good vent some where then two blowing would cool with much more efficency then one sucking and one blowing...

Good luck!

yea tread brite same stuff if you look in the pic you can see my reflection takin the pic yep like a mirror....

I have a feelin I'm gona prob end up trying all the options on the fans the next will be 1 in and 1 out then if that still don't make me happy I will try both in and make a couple "vent" holes...I still got a little time (hopefully not much) before I get the tank going that I want to use this light on...

so I switched one of the fans arround so now there is 1 in and 1 out after running for 1 hour the fixture is still cool to the touch just barly warm...now I'm happy with that...

BTW thanks for the compliments

no the whole fixture is made out of aluminum (16 gauge) I could have made it out of regular sheet metal but I had the aluminum in my shop already so I figured why not use it.

if you don't have vent holes, just one fan blowing in will have the same cooling effect as one in one out - two is good for redundancy though - even though the fixture heat has no effect on your tank's temperature :|

yea I just wanted to keep the fixture cool. and I under stand that one in and one out will only move the cfm of a single fan but IMO one pushing and one pulling will get the air thru the fixture better than one just pulling the air out..

travis, well gona get a 20L going my 10 is just too small for what I want...and I figure with the 150w over the center I will be good to go with SPS in the center of the tank ant lower light corals arround the sides....

tigah, I need to sit down and see how much I would need to make these I have had a few people ask about the price so now I guess I need to figure it out...

well I figured out that I could'nt compete with some of the comercialy made pendants. by the time I got all the stuff (for a 150w)ballast, bulb, socket, fans, screws, wire, and metal, I would be in to it like $250.00 and I still had to make the fixture...so unless someone wants to pay OVER $300.00 I don't see me making any to sell....

a damn shame. those lights you made are really sexy. oh well. maybe i'll fork out the doh one of these days to get u to make me one. haha.

well thanks...and be sure to let me know when you want to spend some $$$ I'll be more than happy to help you.. :)

Archived