Cultivated Reef

Nanocustoms Fuge Light Mod w/ Pics!

DHodges34

I did this a month or so ago and finally got around to posting the pictures, so here's a basic idea of how I did everything. Chris has great instructions online and it was all very simple.

Here is the hood with the splashguard off and the new fans installed (the fans come with the Fuge Kit because the stock ones are too thick)

DSCF0001.jpg

This is the adapter I chose to power the fans, it was around 10 bucks at radioshack, and the nice thing about it is that it's adjustable so I can adjust the fans slower or faster depending on what's necessary

DSCF0003.jpg

Here's the endcap all wired up. This was very simple, the nice thing about the PONY ballast is that it doesn't matter which side the red/blue wires are on, as long as the 2 reds are next to each other and the 2 blues are next to each other.

DSCF0004.jpg

The wiring from the endcap to the ballast turned out to be a few inches too long and wouldn't allow the ballast to fit where I needed it. I had already plugged the wires into the endcap (I wasn't sure how to get the wire back out :rolleyes: ) so I just cut the slack out and used heat-shrink tubing to connect the wires.

DSCF0016.jpg

Here is the ballast in place, it fits nicely behind the heatshield with one slight mod, which I'll show next

DSCF0007.jpg

There were two little posts that I needed to cut out because with them in place they made it a tight squeeze for the ballast. After cutting them out the ballast fit easily. Here's a pic of the posts on the left side of the hood, so you can see which ones I was talking about. They are the two short ones under the white wires.

DSCF0012.jpg

All wiring done, and everything in place

DSCF0019.jpg

And finally, splashguard back on, voila! Fuge Light courtesy of

Nanocustoms!

DSCF0022.jpg

Like I said I've had this up almost a month and everything is doing great! Next stop: More lighting for the display area! :)

- Daniel

• Like 1

i just ordered the fuge light last night, im anxious to get it installed... one question though, how long did it take for you to get it from nanocustoms? im hoping to get it by next week before spring break. Everything looks great, nice job!

Thanks for the comments :)

Skilter, it didn't take long, Chris got it shipped within a couple days. I'm all the way on the East coast so it took a few days to get here but you're much closer, it'll be there before you know it ;)

If you have any questions Chris from nanocustoms is a great resource, and if you can't reach him for some reason I'd be glad to try and help you with any questions.

- Daniel

I got the updated package about a week ago (finally got it all installed a few days ago). I am in the stages of writing up an installation manual for this on the stock tanks (as I decided to do this before I got the 3.24 mod). If you have any plan on buying the 3.24 and the new heat shield you will need to find a different place to put the ballast. I took a picture of my hood in the user galleries, if you want to check out how I did mine (ignore the fact that I ripped apart the ballast, trial and error). Anyway I have about 20 pictures of the steps I used on my computer. Also I didn't order the variable fans, but I was fortunate enough to have a low resistance soldering iron laying around so I didn't have to splice. I also installed the power switch he sent me with it into the back of the hood itself. If you have any questions as to how or what I figured out worked with the 2005's and chris's updated package (using the plastic fans) let me know. kellenm82 on aol.

skilter - thanks, he's a handful at only 1 yr. old but he's a blast to have around. You can tell he's a hunting breed, he's not scared of anything and we have a blast wrestling around the house and stuff, although I often catch people at the office looking at the scratches and bitemarks on my hands and forearms! ;)

windaria - thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind, because I plan on getting the 3.24 in a few months

- Daniel

• 1 month later...

That looks good. its just what in need.

but i dont have a splash guard back there any ideas? Except buying a new hood.

DHodges34

Check the "open discussion with Chris from Nanocustoms" thread in the nanocube forum. I think he has some ideas, I want to say that you can just cut some plexi to fit, but don't take my word for it.

Good luck.

- Daniel

• 1 month later...

I noticed that on the nanocustoms website, they had some .pdf instruction sheets, but I didn't see one for this mod. Does anyone have a link to it?

Thanks

aaron,

I think I remember one, but I don't have a link, sorry. Maybe try emailing Chris or trying him on AIM, his SN is nanocustoms.

Good luck.

- Daniel

Called Chris today, and he says he doesn't have a write up yet, now that he is including an adaptor plate with the kits. Said he would have one made up today. When I get it, I'll post a link.

aaron

Archived