inTank Media Baskets

29gal external overflow and sump DIY - lots of pics

impur

I posted this at RC but thought i'd share here as well since its still a nano and this site taught me most everything!!

Bits used:

P1060110.jpg

Used the cutting disc to cut off the molding:

P1060106.jpg

Using the ballpoint bit i made a nice little groove where i wanted the cut:

P1060108.jpg

Using the bullet shaped bit i cut along the groove, applying lots of water to keep the bit cool:

P1060107.jpg

Cut done:

P1080001.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/8" glass for the sump and overflow box cost me $10:

P1080005.jpg

Bulkheads. I used electrical PVC male and female adapters. The male has a nice lip that will seal with a good washer, the water PVC fitting did not have that lip:

P1080004.jpg

Cutting holes for bulkheads:

P1080003.jpg

P1080006.jpg

P1080007.jpg

Glueing on one of the sides:

P1090011.jpg

While that dried i started on the overflow teeth using some scrap acrylic i had lying around:

P1090012.jpg

I'm off to finish the teech on the overflow and get a few more pics, will update then.

Looks great, let me know how it all works out with that. Are you going to be running the durso stand pipes in the overflow like they did at RC? What are the dimensions of the rear box? I assume you are putting the box in the back center, any reason why you did not have it on one of the sides?

Yes i'll be running dursos in the overflow box. One of the bulkheads leaked so i gotta find a better washer. The overflow box dimensions are 10x11x5. I used 1 1/4" drains. I'm gonna have a return through a scwd, and over the tank returns on each side so to keep things easy i just put it in the center.

What size pump are you useing for this? I have a mag 3 now but I will probably have a pump for the circulaton and one for sump return.

Why did you decide against makeing holes for the returns? Simplicity?

Is the acrylic going to stay clear?

Is it the size of the rear of the tank?

I did mine in black acrylic the size of the rear of the tank. This way there is no painting needed. I also cut 2 holes for returns. I am just waiting for my faux sand bed to cure then I will post some pics.

Looks great so far by the way.

Originally posted by dyceskynes

What size pump are you useing for this?  I have a mag 3 now but I will probably have a pump for the circulaton and one for sump return.  

Why did you decide against makeing holes for the returns?  Simplicity?

I'm going to use a mag 9.5 plumbed through a scwd for the return. I didn' tuse return holes because i wanted the sump to hold as much water as possible. If the power goes out, with returns in the back of the tank, it will drain that much more.

Workin in the livin room, lol, I love it, i do the same.

LOL yah not much area for workspace in an apartment, but i make the best out of it. :D

Originally posted by Bikelock

Is the acrylic going to stay clear?  

Is it the size of the rear of the tank?

I did mine in black acrylic the size of the rear of the tank.  This way there is no painting needed. I also cut 2 holes for returns. I am just waiting for my faux sand bed to cure then I will post some pics.  

Looks great so far by the way.

It actually one spans 12" and is only about 6" tall. I am going to use a bracket over the tank glass and a plastic set screw to hold it on. This way i can remove it for cleaning or whatever else. I was going to go with a piece of black covering the whole back pane of glass, but i have not been able to find black and i had this on hand. I am considering using window tint for the back, and some sort of removable black encasing for the box. Not set on this part yet.

I'm interested in your pics, be sure to post when your sand cures!!!

Got new washers for the bulkheads, these don't leak :D

P1120017.jpg

Ready to glue on the back:

P1090013.jpg

Back glued on:

P1090014.jpg

Ready for the leak test:

P1090015.jpg

I'm setting it up tonight and running it all weekend just to get the small things worked out. Next weeks project is hanging the light so i'll have more to add then.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to drain the tank tonight and bring it back inside. I need to move my 55 gal over about 5 feet to make room for this tank, so i'll try to do that tonight also. I will be cutting the reflector to fit inside the pendant and wiring up the ballast too. For the time being here are a few pics of the pendant shell and stand:

P1220043.jpg

P1220044.jpg

P1220045.jpg

Teeth done, it was freehand so no laughing!

P2010056.jpg

First coat of paint on the tank:

P2010055.jpg

Paint dry:

P2010057.jpg

This is the black acrylic i will glue to the inside of the tank to hide the overflow box plumbing:

P2010058.jpg

Being held in place:

P2010059.jpg

Here is the project tonight. Move the 55g to the right about 3 feet.

P2010060.jpg

Archived