Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY Cold Cathode Ray moonlight

Sinistard

After reading on this forum I decided to put a moonlight in my 12 Nano Cube DX. I decided to go with cold cathode ray. People seemed to be happy with the look of CCR so I went to a computer store and got a blue12 inch cold cathode ray light then went to Radio Shack and got a 3-12 volt dc power supply. I went with the 3-12 volt to be able to adjust the brightness of the moonlight. The light came in a pack of 2 I may try to get a UV or white cold cathode and put it over the back chamber to help with bacteria growth, any ideas on if this would work?

To install the light I took off the splashguard, heat shield, and the plate over the fans.

1. First I installed the inverter for the CCR under the heat shield by all the wiring for the existing lights and ran the wire from the light behind the heat shield to the inverter. I put a yellow line to show where the wire and inverter were i forgot to take a picture with the heat shield off.

2. Then I cut a hole in the side of the hood with a dremal and exacto knife to install the switch that came with the light.

3. Finally I just wired the power supply to the inverter via a hole i drilled in the back of the hood. It ended up being a very clean look almost like it belongs there :)

Ended up costing around 30 bucks, I could have got the parts cheaper on the Internet but i like instant gratification.

If you would like to see any more pictures let me know and i'll post them.

Any questions, comments or suggestions let me know.

Thanks for looking

post-12160-1129126251_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome! That's my next mod! FYI, I took off the cover for the fans and traces it on a piece of 1/8 lexan, cut the lexan, drilled the holes and replaced the black with the clear lexan. Next step is to put some kind of light in there to light the rear chamber for a fuge. I tried a small 25w halogen and it melted the lexan. I am not sure if one of the UV or white CCR tubes will make things grow back there so I am working on other ideas.

Doug

Blind Tree Frog -- I just started cycling the tank 6 days ago so I don't have any coral yet:( I do have some nice brown alge :blush:

Nano4Kids -- Thanks you. The clear lexan in the back is a good idea let me know if you figure out any good light to stick back there. Im hoping CCR will work maybe someone will know for sure.

Thanks agian for looking

Here is a picture or the tank with the Day Lights on and the Moonlight on at different brightness levels. I marked what voltage the cold cathode was set to on each picture. The last square is nothing after I turn it down past 6 volts the camera does not pick it up anymore but to the eye you can still see the in the tank under 6v and I get some pretty cool shadows. I cant wait till I accualy get some coral and critters in the tank.:D

Thanks for the comments, let me know if you have anymore questions.

post-12160-1129126317_thumb.jpg

adinsxq - Im not sure that would have worked or it may have worked but it would not have saved any clutter the fans are wired in with the stock lights through some board you can see it next to the left fan. If I attached the fans to the 12volt power suppy how bright I have the moonlight set or if I even have it on would effect the fans speed or turn them off all together and I did not want that to happen the stock lights might get to hot.

Thanks for looking and for the idea.

adinsxq: Being able to adjust the voltage seperatly is worth the clutter of an extra wiring.

LOL; I have 3 CCFL tubes on my computer. 2 In the case and 1 under it.

1 CCFL tube typical puts out 15,000mcd² of light @ 12volts, I am almost positive that if it were not to be turned down some what, the tank would never feel the actual night time as the light should be acting as a moon, not a second sun.

bravoreefer -- I think you are right about the CCR on 12 volts although its just a guess by me because i don't know how bright it should be. Does anyone know of a relatively simple test to figure out if the light is to bright? I think I’m going to leave it on 7.5 volts, it looks most like moon light brightness to me for what that’s worth.

Thanks for looking.

Simple test? Not sure. Honestly, I dont know of any test. Just use common sence and if it looks to bright to be moon light, most likely it is. Tilt the hood up and compared the light output of the CCFL tube on the floor compared to what natural moon light looks like and if they are similarly bright or not. Hey I think I just made up a simple test =).

I love my moonlighting, but I have wired up an 2 blue 470nm LED set up. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this lighitng project cost?

I have bought all my CCFL tubes from www.pctoys.com

That's looking awesome. I think you made a good choice at 7.5 volts. It has the proper look in my opinion. I'm also looking forward to see how your tank develops as you continue to populate it.

bravoreefer --- That’s basically what I did I turned the power down till I got what I thought moonlight should look like (around 7.5 volts). I live in the city so not a whole lot of moonligh makes it in my windows :(

It cost around 35 dollars - the light and adapter where both around 17 bucks. I could have ordered the parts online and done it for less (around 25) but I’m impatient. I looked into LEDs and they would have been cheaper but I did not think the dispersion would be wide enough for what I wanted. The cold cathode ray light give a nice even light over the whole tank from the looks of the pictures on this site LEDs tend to be brighter in spots. Both ways look good I preferred the even look.

Larnie --- Thanks, I plan to put a few snails in the tank in about a week depending on how the water. Then maybe some crabs after another week. I plan on getting a verity of zoos and mushrooms and one or two fish. I have not decided on the fish I’m thinking 2 clownfish or one clown and some other fish I still need to do some more research on what will work in the tank.

Does anyone know if I could put a small anemone in the tank with the stock 48-watt lights?

Any other suggestions on what to populate the tank with would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Maxvan1: Did you not read the thread at all???

Sinistard stated "I cant wait till I accualy get some coral and critters in the tank. "

I would ASSUME this means he would NOT now if it bothers his fish / corals.

Thanx for reading and putting thoughtful post Maxvan1...

Besides, proper moon lighting is ~470nm. I was never able to find what the CCFL tube produces.

Originally posted by larnie

That's looking awesome. I think you made a good choice at 7.5 volts. It has the proper look in my opinion. I'm also looking forward to see how your tank develops as you continue to populate it.

Hey sinistard:

First off, I am totally amazed by your work with having adjustable nightlights. That kicks ass. If you can get it on a timer, you can simulate a dark night from a clear night, then work to get the main lights to go on after that. Anyway, because I suck at creating my own moonlights, I think I'll have to go with the R2's like Larnie. (who btw told me to check out your thread) I'm glad I did, your work paid off.

Now regarding the small anemone under our stock 48 watts, unfortunately, the poor guy would be struggling to fight for light and would begin to do laps all over your tank. It may knock things over, and end up in places you you may not like, and most importantly, with the lack of lighting it loves, it'll end up dying. People like Larnie, or even my brother, member: mikeguerrero can have exotics such as an anenome or clams. There are though so many other things you can get though for your tank with stock lighting. Let me give you a few ideas.

First in the tank I got, to speed up the process of getting benefical bacteria growing in my tank, I added bio-spira. With that, it makes your tank, safe to add a fish and other small things, hermits, snails, shrimps. I got also a tank raised ocellaris (nemo fish) and he was dropped in the first day. Believe me this was all a huuuuge test in my part to test what todays products can do. Well I can tell you the tank has been running since Thanksgiving and Nemo is running hard and strong. None of my corals have died, all is healthy, water parameters are where they should be. Water changes done weekly and water tested as well.

I took a huuuge headstart, and while others would disagree with what I have done, well what's done is done, and well I can proudly say it worked. I'd recommend the bio-spira, and after it's in, I'd say pick up a cleaner crew *hermits and snails* to start going to town on that algae that's growing. If you want to learn more about what I've done since day 1, read up on it on "www.nanotank.com" look under nano's 20 and under"

Good luck bro, and once again congrats on the moonlights, see ya around.

I have been trying to find information on the actual wavelength of a blue cold cathode light and it is hard to find. From what i have seen a cold cathode is basically a Florescent light and it looks like a white Cold Cathode light has a wavelength that ranges from 380nm-780nm. I would guess that the light i have is a little higher then 470nm just because from the pictures i have seen on this site of LEDs are a little darker blue then my light so the wavelength would have to be higher. A lighter blue has a longer wavelength (see picture below). I have never seen a 470nm LED in person so I can't say for sure how far off my blue Cold Cathodes light is from the light a 470nm LED puts out.

All that being said a white Cold cathode might work as a light over the back chamber to help it act like a fuge. The only thing is its not very high powered so I’m not sure how much it would help.

Like I said this is mostly just an educated guess from searching the web and my limited knowledge of light wavelengths if I am way off base just let me know and I would not put to much stock in my conclusion.

dragon79,

Thanks for the complements, I'm glad people like my moonlight and I hope people can use my design for there own tanks. If anyone has questions on my installation feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info on the anemone, I talked to a sales person at my LFS and they said I would be fine but they have also told me to just wait 2 or 3 days and add just about anything I want to the tank. I read a few places on here that they move around and I wanted to make sure and I'm glad I asked. I am going to stick with the stock lights for the time being, I may try to install an extra light or get the DIY upgrade kit from nanocustoms down the road to allow me to get more exotic inhabitants but for the time the 48 watt light and the critters that go along with it will do.

About the bio-spira where can I pick some up, and can I add it now after my tank has been cycling for a week. Also where is a good place to get a digital timer to set up a daylight moonlight cycle.

Again thanks for the info and for looking

Sinistard,

I know a lot of people tell you you can't have a BTA, however I added one to my stock DX and it is not "doing laps". When I first added it I put it in the sand at the bottom to let it find it's own place. It moved about 1/3 of the way up the tank and found a place in the rock where it has been happy ever since. I feed it some mysis shrimp every couple days and it looks good. Just my 0.02

Doug

Archived