inTank Media Baskets

Really simple way to quiet an overflow!

steveCT

Ok so i'm constructing my 50l nano with a 40l below tank sump.

I build a wier plus drilled tank overflow system using the Durso methodology to keep the overflow quiet. Yes the durso system is far quieter but still not quiet enough for me to have the tank in my bedroom.

I was a bit annoyed and am really not in the mood to re plumb the system. Luckily the solution has just dawned on me!

I got out a piece of flexible silicon tube and started a siphon fom my overflow box down to the sump. as my siphon is large enough to take 90% of the flow down to the sump the noise of the overflow is now all but completely silent. The pump is now louder then the cascading water.

For those of you who are new to this a couple of pointers:

1. The siphon is NO replacement for the actual overflow plumbing, It should only be used to suppliment existing overflow plumbing.

2. If the siphon carries more water then your return pump the siphon will empty the water from behind the wier and the siphon will break and you will be back with your standard overflow. Aim for 90% - 95% of your total flow to go through the siphon. You could easily use more than one siphon to fine tune the flow.

3. If you lose power you will also lose siphon and will have to restart the siphon but that shouldn't really matter as this system is only designed to reduce noise and no more.

Archived