ReefCleaners.org

Finally 5 Gallon update

Chyendra

I figured you all were due for an update, includeing pictures so here it goes.... Since last time I've switched salt brands from IO to Oceanic (Which i lovE!) and have added a few new inhabitants!

1 neon goby (She is adorable, but always hiding! The only time i see her is durring feeding time.) I also added some calupera at the same time.

My candy cane coral is spliting! On of the heads has two mouths and is begining to seperate.

this week i went to Pruess pets in east lansing MI and found some great little corals!

I got 3 heads of blastomussa, 2 heads of red shrooms, 1 green ridicodia, and a 2.5" pink birdsnest frag. I also added 6 nass snails to my clean up crew because i've been haveing so much crazy sand algea lately.

Heres the whole tank... I little messy, as i'm still trying to find the best spot for all the frags, and trying to get the algea under control. As of now the tank is about 4.5 months old.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 heads of Blastomussa, aparently the store can't buy them any more so the guy said he would be more then willing to buy frags off of me when it got bigger.

Red Mushroom! can't go wrong there :) actually i tried to place them underneth the arch because I don't want to fry them with the MH. They are all opened up and happy!

And the green ricordea! This guy is a cool blue green with a little purple at the base. only 8 bucks.. I thought he was a pretty good deal. Should I feed him anything, to help him grow faster?

Heres a pic of my ric next to the awesome frag of pink birds nest! I hope it does well, i haven't see its polyps yet, but it's only been in the tank a day. I asked the lfs employee if they had any birdsnest in, and he said "no except for the one in the large display tank". I sighed and said "yah, that one is really nice..." so he goes, "I could give you a frag of that if you want." I'm like... "REALLY?!" so he broke off this nice piece for me, and even attached it to a piece of LR as well. I don't know how much pink birdsnest usually goes for but he gave me this one for only $15. :)

sorry for the poor photo quality... but i just love how my candy cane glows in the actinic... the gsp centers do as well

WoW!!! Beeee----UUUUU----TTTT-FUL! Great job, Chy! And good to see the MH light is working out for you...

Folks, this girl has patients...spent a lot of time planning. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank....:P

Thanks for all the great complements! Last night I did a bit of cleaning :) I rearanged all the rocks, and siphoned alot of gunk out from underneath them. I know it's usually not good to stir up the sand bed... But I HAD to get that algea out of there. Plus now the snails actually dig into the sand to clean it instead of just crawling along on top.

I love the way my rocks are now. The tank feels more open and big, I also scraped all the algea off the walls, and scraped the baby feather dusters off the back wall. (they are totaly cute... but they're EVERYWHERE! some had to go...)

I was worried that i stired up the sand too much, so i tested the water before putting the corals and shrimp back in, but everything was normal, and the corals are open and happy today. My birdsnest has it's polyps out as well.

check it out :)

Very nice! I have the exact same red shroom and blue ricordea!

They've been in my tank for almost a week and the both of them have been spreading quite a bit! :) Didn't feed them except for dose seachem reef plus and phytoplex the past week.

Domino_Tang

Yea once you ... clean the glass and everything the snails have no choise but to dig the sand bed .. and same the with they hermits if you clean there rocks ... ^___^ wich i dont think you do .. so its a good thing! Hahaha yea a little miny refugium system works nicely with that on it! umm from what i have been looking at you did a really nice job .. everthink about making a stand .. or a real sump? if you need help buiding anything just comment me and ill help you i built my sump .. well before it got cracked it looked nice ima build another one ... and my over flow box was built by me ... along with that tank .. with specs from the lps... ^____^ laters hope your tank thrives even more!

Chyendra,

Great looking tank, very clean! I read in your tank set you did a drip top-off. I have a 5.5 tank and was working with that myself, however, I found it hard to find a valve that would drip slowly enough. Does you MH really evap out a bunch of water? I'd like to know what your drip top-off consists of. Thanks.

Superdave

attachment.php?s=&postid=239037

I don't lose alot of water due to evaporation, probably less then a half of a gallon a day, but it really depends alot on the weather too, (heat and humidity)

The top-off is really really simple, I works great and I can use it for doseing when I need to.

It's just a 1gal jug, that sits just slightly above my tank. I have some IV (hospital style, I work at an animal hospital) tubeing, and a little roller that comes with the tubeing that controls the drip rate. I have it dripping from the jug into my hob. It's soooo simple. I have to adjust the drip rate every so often, but it's easy and I don't have to worry about a floatswitch or anything.

The only problem i've found is that when the jug is full it drips alot faster then when the jug is nearing empty, so the drip rate is hard to master. Usually i just tweak is every few days. It's easy to adjust.

I have never spoke with you before but I have been lurking, and checking your progress since you started.

All I have to say is.. BEAUTIFUL tank! Great job.

3gEclipseGuy

I love your tank! Your drip idea is awesome too. I've been thinking about how to topoff my 3g Eclipse and now I know. My wife is a NNP and can probably get me one of those too. I'm still new to this and wanted to know how you get such small inverts onto big rocks? Is it hard to migrate one rock to another?

I'm still new to this and wanted to know how you get such small inverts onto big rocks? Is it hard to migrate one rock to another?

I'm not sure what you mean.. do you mean my coral frags? most of them came attached to some sort of rock. The birdsnest was superglued to a small rock while i was at the store, and i put a rubber band around the gsp frag to hold in in place for a bit, but now it's attached it self to a rock.

Girls get all the good frags for cheap

*laughs* I don't know about that... well i guess it depends on who you have helping you and how Nicely you ask :) There was a younger guy helping me... so yah... maybe you're right :)

can u try to get a pic of the neon goby i bet it looks awsome.

I can TRY.... But She really doesn't come out a whole lot... maybe when i feed tonight i'll give it a shot. She's beautiful.. but shy. Which makes me sad because she was swimming all over the place at the lfs...

Isn't it funny how guy's assume all their fish are male and girl's think their's are female!

Beutifull tank Chyendra, you should be proud!

Thank you! actually my best friend had to convince me that it needed a girl name. I usually name all my "aquatic creatures" guy names. For example, Turtle=Cameron, Pleco in my turtle tank= Juan, Skunk Cleaner= Fransisco, I haven't thought of a name for the neon yet.. any suggestions?

3gEclipseGuy

heh heh... I figured that's how she got the smaller frags from LFS but didn't know how she got them onto big rocks? or did they migrate there on their own?

So I guess I could cut a piece off and super glue?? it to another rock? Sounds kind of barbaric but if it works.

I have a huge (relative to tank) rock that has at least 6 big shrooms on there (probably 10) and would love to move a few to another rock if possible.

Archived