Cultivated Reef

The Flavor Enhancer

Harrisonbored

Harrisonbored

10 gallons of MSG... (Macros, Softies and Gorgs)
I've been meaning to start a tank thread for a while now but have just been lazy.
The tank is about 6mo. old- started in June.

FTS 12/12

IMG_1433_zps1530dee2.jpg

• 10 Gallon MicroReefs tank
  • AquaticLife 4 bulb T5 fixture (ATI-B+,C+,FP,B+)
  • 1 Zoomed 501 canister filter-(floss and Purigen)
  • 1 Zoomed 501 (moded for Chaeto refugium)
  • Koralia Nano 240 MP10
  • Hydor 25watt heater
  • RKL

I started it with 10 lbs. dead rock, some Fiji Pink live sand and some Blue Ochtodes from my other tank.
Had a normally small cycle and then added the overpopulation of CUC from John @RC
about this time I noticed a sprig of Dictyota popping up on the rock... I decided to let it be...

I set up a ATO with a giant 8 ga. reservoir and then went on a trip for 6 weeks... leaving the tank to do
what it was going to do.

When I returned the tank was teaming with pods. The Blue Ochtodes had tore off and spread, and the Dictyota was now a giant bush taking up a 1/4 of the tank. Ohh and I also had a plague of flatworms.
I pulled out half of my rock( anything that had Dictyota on it) and then bought a juvenile 6line to attempt
to control my flatworms. The wrasse ate them for a day or 2 but then decided she liked pods better and
never touched them again. Since a 6line was never in my stocking plans I returned her to my LFS.
I then began the journey of siphoning the little f@#kers whenever I could...
They're still in there, but I've got a pretty good foothold on them now just by siphoning.

It stayed like that till about Oct. then I slowly started adding corals and more macros.
here's the current stock:

MACROS

• Blue Ochtodes
  • Codium
  • Red Titan
  • Red Gracilaria
  • Dragons Breath
  • Chaeto and Ulva in canister filter

SOFTIES

IMG_1455_zps1d75d079.jpgIMG_1454_zps0ee9e92d.jpg

• 2x Frogspawn
  • Kenya Tree
  • Duncans
  • Misc. Mushrooms
  • Misc. Zoas
  • Green Sinularia
  • Green Spagetti Leather
  • Goniopora

GORGS

IMG_1479_zps83acc265.jpgIMG_1440_zps47e67916.jpgIMG_1477_zps1b6247e8.jpg

• Purple Sea Plumes
  • Yellow Sea Plumes
  • Purple Feather
  • Yellow Feather
  • Angular Sea Whip-purple
  • Black Sea Rod
  • Yellow Saw-Tooth ECO-Gorg
  • Orange Sea Rod
  • Blue Vase Sponge

LIVESTOCK

IMG_1438_zpsb1d961c4.jpgIMG_1439_zpsa411c580.jpg

• Pygmy Cherub Angelfish
  • Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby/Shrimp combo
  • Emerald Crab
  • PomPom Crab
  • (TEMPORARY GUEST) Melanarus Wrasse

I'll start throwing tank shots this week but till then here's some quick snaps from my phone...
post-71435-1355601755_thumb.jpgpost-71435-1355601718_thumb.jpgpost-71435-1355601898_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Harrisonbored

So after following Patback's Flatworm Farm thread and how he got a Melanarus to rid his tank of those f@#%ers. I was at Vivid and picked one up. Within days the tank was clean, they are truly awesome at removal.

Like Pat the plan was to keep her for a few weeks and then return her.... but she's too cute and so Ive decided to set up a 40 column to house her for a few more months (Ive been meaning to set that tank up anyways but have been saving up for a Canon 100mm lense) Priorities change...guess I'll continue to live with my subpar 28-135mm for a while.

Here's some (out of focus) shots I tried to grab of her.... she's way to fast for my photo taking skills...

IMG_1484_zps5cafd1bf.jpg

IMG_1483_zps8991a2b5.jpg

IMG_1469_zpse0277ab7.jpg

• 1 year later...
Harrisonbored
Awesome tank, lovin those gorgs!

Thx. It was cool for about a year, then I moved everything over to a 40 tall peninsula tank with full spectrume par 38's.

The polyp extension on the Gorgs under those lights now is crazy...like caterpillars.

Anyways thanks for stopping by my never updated thread.

I'll retire this now.

Archived