Cultivated Reef

Mindless distraction - JBJ Nanocube Rimless 8

William

After doing some research between the different 8 gallon AIO tanks (IM Nuvo 8, Cadlights 8 mini, and the JBJ Rl 8) I decided I would go ahead and give the RL 8 a try. @ 149.99 on special from Marine Depot and with JBJ offering to send me a free flip light as long a i send them my receipt, I thought it was the best deal. I will do my best to review it as thoroughly as possible when it arrives.

Tank 1/31/13:

Replaced the lighting with a Boost led par 30 I have sitting around form a previous tank
Auto-top-off Ato - feeding top off water with 20ml of etoh per 1.75l of h2o
Gnome glass skimmer 32mm

tetra 40 air pump
2x stock return pumps, one with flare nozzle, one with spin stream

1 hydor pico 180gph for extra flow.
50w heater.

10lbs dry marco rock

5lbs real reef rock (i hate it, so dense)

Stocking:

Fish
Royal gramma - suicide

Helfrenchi firefish

4xChalice

2x acans

sun coral
Dendros
Duncans
Monti's

2x random acro

Softy/Invert
Zoa's
7 x Ricordia
4x Mini carpet nems

2x mini maxi
3-4 Rock nems

Blue leg coral banded shrimp

1 Ecogorg

Maintenance:

feed 3xweek

wc 1xweek @ 2 gal

turkey baste tank to remove detritus daily (mostly)

I've been thinking about doing the same build as you and considered the same tanks.

Do you know if they're willing to offer the deal for other customers?

I'm trying to decide between this and the cad 8g. Starphire glass is awesome and the primary reason I want it.

I've thought about putting the Finnex Fugeray on mine, maybe two. Thoughts?

So it came in yesterday from Marine Depot, packaging was great. The tank is not starfire for sure (has a slight green tint, but they didn't advertise it as starfire). The silicone work was not the cleanest and i may complain about it to MD, but not sure if it is worth it, as i could easily clean it up with a razor blade. There were a few cosmetic scratches on the bottom of the tank, which would not be an issue if i was going with a sand bed, but since i'm doing BB it would be slightly noticeable. The back compartment is interesting, having two returns will certainly be nice, but it does tank of space that could be used for other purposes. the media trey is pretty decent (no SteveT creation though), although one of the levels was broken upon arrival (i plan to see if MD will send me a new one). The glass top was chipped (Im going to see if i can get it replaced as well). All in all, I would say that it is a decent tank (for the sale price of $149), though I would not say that I am overly impressed. I like that fact that the tank actually holds 10g even though it is stated to be an 8 gallon, i like the dimensions of the display, and i like the the design of the glass (i didn't like the rubber feet on the CADlights or the plastic stand on the IM Nuvo)

I will post pics as soon as i can get home and resize them (they are all too big)

post-52919-1355596821_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I actually decided to go with the IM Nuvo 8 after some long deliberation. Since I already have a 30gal JBJ RL, I figured I'd give the IM's a go. It should be here this Friday!

• Like 1

I havent decided yet, I have never done a BB tank and wanted to try it out, but im not sure i like how it looks, if i put sand in it, it will be black sand

Per the website it is 3.5"x4.76"x13.77, but i will measure when i get home to make sure.

Also, I got the JBJ flip light yesterday. It would be sufficient for a softy tank, NPS tank, or fish only. I would also work for a freshwater planted tank, but it does not look bright enough for a mixed tank. It will most likely find its way to the Hardware section.

I got an email from Marine Depot today stating that they would replace the broken/defective materials, so that is always good news

Per the website it is 3.5"x4.76"x13.77, but i will measure when i get home to make sure.

Also, I got the JBJ flip light yesterday. It would be sufficient for a softy tank, NPS tank, or fish only. I would also work for a freshwater planted tank, but it does not look bright enough for a mixed tank. It will most likely find its way to the Hardware section.

I got an email from Marine Depot today stating that they would replace the broken/defective materials, so that is always good news

I am interested to find out why MD did not honor the promo for you. They did for me when I ordered the exact same tank with the "free" Flipper light for $199. I feel like I have been screwed out of $50. They took down my info and called me the next day after clearing everything with JBJ.

They said they would not be able to at their 149.99 sale price for the tank, which is why I contacted JBJ independently.

Ahhhhh........good deal. Mine is supposed to be here this week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

I updated the rockscape, as i hated the way it was. Added a gnome glass skimmer. started dosing 20ml of etoh in my top off container (1.75 l vodka bottle). added two mini-maxi's.

I am currently having a battle with bryopsis.

Update:

d95fdbf3-375c-4412-8dca-4b625f5f2e25_zps

85376704-4043-4b6d-995b-86e0da050f04_zps

e9d1607b-7105-40e1-bf09-c17bd8bda8f1_zps

the pic was from a iphone 4s so excuse the crappyness

also excuse the detritus on the bottom of the tank, this is my first bb and i am astonished how quickly it piles up.

Archived