Pod Your Reef

4 channel dimming module - how-to

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Walk through on the 4 channel dimming module to dim 4 banks of drivers

Product located here: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/4-channel-dimming-module/

**Please note the pictures show silver and black knobs. Module comes with all black knobs

What is included in the kit:

IMG_6690-001.JPG

Step 1: Insert all the Pots into the acrylic face

IMG_6693-001.JPG

IMG_6696-001.JPG

IMG_6700-001.JPG

Step 2: Drill a hole in the case section where you feel would be best for wires to go through to reach the POTS.

IMG_6705-001.JPG

IMG_6706-001.JPG

Step 3: Wire in the drivers. In this example, we are using Inventronics drivers so we do not need additional 10v power source (the yellow wire is our 10v from the driver). If you are doing multiple drivers, its best to use the 24awg wire instead of running the wires straight from the Driver (the thickness of the wires will add up quickly). One suggestion is to use CAT5 (Ethernet) wire.

IMG_6707-001.JPG

IMG_6712-001.JPG

IMG_6717-001.JPG

IMG_6729-001.JPG

Step 4: Screw in the acrylic faceplate

IMG_6736-001.JPG

IMG_6738-001.JPG

Yoink.

That's going in my new build.

**Please note the pictures show silver and black knobs. Module comes with all black knobs

It does look pretty sleek in all black, I gotta say.

That being said, you know I'm gonna go and get me some of these:

chroma-caps-product-photo-juicy.jpg

Eight channels?

Okay, let me think...

Red

Cool blue

Cyan

True violet 405nm

Hyperblue 430nm

Royal blue

Neutral white

...well, that's seven. Maybe the last one is a fan speed controller. =)

I'll spill the beans since it looks like it'll have to wait a bit, but I was looking at doing 4 channel dimming running off a master dimmer (so you can do sun rise/ sun set) and then a second master dimmer doing moon rise/moon set / possibly lunar again with 4 channel mixing type dimming. (NW, RB, TV, OCW on the channels)

• 5 weeks later...
Eight channels?

Okay, let me think...

Red

Cool blue

Cyan

True violet 405nm

Hyperblue 430nm

Royal blue

Neutral white

...well, that's seven. Maybe the last one is a fan speed controller. =)

Cree Royal Blue and Rebel Royal Blue. 10nm difference in peaks. TOTALLY justified. ;)

When running from an apex. Does your 0 to 10 input (purple wire on inventronics driver) run from driver to potentiometer then to the apex dimming module? I still want control with color by turning the nobs but, I want the apex to dim each bank.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
When running from an apex. Does your 0 to 10 input (purple wire on inventronics driver) run from driver to potentiometer then to the apex dimming module? I still want control with color by turning the nobs but, I want the apex to dim each bank.

This is how you would wire the pots except switch out the DIM4 for the APEX

DIM4TrimPot.png

Thanks milad! That's what I figured. So I will be able to trim from the apex like the dim 4?. Or should I keep my trim pot and run the apex to it?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Thanks milad! That's what I figured. So I will be able to trim from the apex like the dim 4?. Or should I keep my trim pot and run the apex to it?

So basically what happens is the APEX will do its ramp up and ramp down but in the middle of it all you can adjust the ratio between the colors.

When the Apex is at 100%, 10v goes to the pot and you trim down from there

When the Apex is at 50%, 5v goes to the pot and you trim down from there

You cant go past the max of the APEX at a certain time but you can go lower.

• 1 month later...

What type of drivers do you tecomend for a edge build? I have two dimable buckpucks and 4nw and 6 rb i have built the light but i want something better i was looking at the dim 4 but i want to be able to dimm the white and blues and what ever else i decide to add . Can the dim4 do all that?

• 1 month later...
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

each knob will dim a bank of drivers that are hooked up to it (as long as the drivers are dimmable)

so you need 1 knob per set of drivers. This 4 channel dimming module comes with 4 knobs.

Archived