inTank Media Baskets

help setting up a college tank!

clowe18

I spend weeks and weeks stressing about "stocklists" and I never wind up with my original list. haha Just saying. This thread needs pictures.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spend weeks and weeks stressing about "stocklists" and I never wind up with my original list. haha Just saying. This thread needs pictures.

true but i think this is a good stock for my situation

i also want to keep feeder shrimps in my tank as an extra source of food and to help clean up. think i can do it? if so how? tips?

not yet due to limited availability out here but i was thinking:

clownfish ( hopefully black and white)

blue sapphire damself

bio color or algae blenny

maybe another fish depending on algae growth ect.

cuc

3-5 hermits

1-5 snails

inverts:

chocolate chip star

urchin ( dont know which type as of now)

skunk or coral banded shrimp

You might want to cut the damsel from the list :P

They are like devils in the form of a family of fishes. :)

yeah ive heard they can be agressive but i was gunna add him last..

i just want some blue in my tank so maybe a chromis

yeah ive heard they can be agressive but i was gunna add him last..

i just want some blue in my tank so maybe a chromis

Yah that's a better choice. Plus you get two colors (blue/green) in one chromis :P

What KIND of feeder shrimp? You could keep them, but I've heard breeding mysids in displays is very difficult. Those are the basic saltwater "feeder" shrimp. Rather, you could try some kind of refugium for copepods, or even just dump a bunch in every now and then.

Blue Sapphire Damsels are the angels of the damsel family. We sell them at the store I work at, and rather than claiming a territory and defending it, they school with each other like chromis. They are wonderful, I recommend them to everyone and if I had room in my tank, I'd have them as well. Every other damsel I have problems with, but NEVER Sapphire Damsels. If that's what you're getting, go for it.

What KIND of feeder shrimp? You could keep them, but I've heard breeding mysids in displays is very difficult. Those are the basic saltwater "feeder" shrimp. Rather, you could try some kind of refugium for copepods, or even just dump a bunch in every now and then.

Blue Sapphire Damsels are the angels of the damsel family. We sell them at the store I work at, and rather than claiming a territory and defending it, they school with each other like chromis. They are wonderful, I recommend them to everyone and if I had room in my tank, I'd have them as well. Every other damsel I have problems with, but NEVER Sapphire Damsels. If that's what you're getting, go for it.

i would try to raise Palaemontes Vulgaris shrimps. i would keep a small pile of lr in the corner or lr rubble in a container that allows them to swim in and out. no room for a fuge

im also giving up on the idea of using the sun to give my tank a shimmer effect because its blinding me.

any ideas for a cheap solution to give my tank the effect at a low cost?

what about something like this? im worried the wattage might not be strong enough though

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Ind...51#.UHz36WnwKXQ

Since you are not getting into corals, you don't have to worry about wattage. But this one is going to be weak I think. You might want something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-20...51#.UHz5fsXA-So

Why don't you look around for 2nd hand fixture for T5HO. You should be able to score one for like $40 or something. Or you can build your LED system by getting the parts from radioshack/ebay or go to home depot and start hunting. I saw a 36" LED strip at home depot in Canada for like $30. But you will need something to mount those on.

Since you are not getting into corals, you don't have to worry about wattage. But this one is going to be weak I think. You might want something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-20...51#.UHz5fsXA-So

Why don't you look around for 2nd hand fixture for T5HO. You should be able to score one for like $40 or something. Or you can build your LED system by getting the parts from radioshack/ebay or go to home depot and start hunting. I saw a 36" LED strip at home depot in Canada for like $30. But you will need something to mount those on.

i thought about it and im not going to use any type of lighting. my room lights are on pretty late and they light up my tank so ill just save myself some money on this part of my tank. thanks though!

i thought about it and im not going to use any type of lighting. my room lights are on pretty late and they light up my tank so ill just save myself some money on this part of my tank. thanks though!

Get something. Your fishes will love it :D

But at the end, it is always a personal preference :)

http://micro-reefs.com/lighting.html <--- I run the eco sun light fixture on my system. Gives nice shimmer, is cheap, AND can keep corals. Face it...one day in the near future you'll walk into an LFS and see a pretty zoa or shroom and be like...damn I want that! Get this and you can.

Im actually going to control my urge to buy things haha im a poor college kid. but thanks for the suggestion.

Get something. Your fishes will love it :D

But at the end, it is always a personal preference :)

yeah i want some more fake coral decorations but that wont happen for a while

Im actually going to control my urge to buy things haha im a poor college kid. but thanks for the suggestion.

yeah i want some more fake coral decorations but that wont happen for a while

You must be one of the most patient hobbiest out there :P

You must be one of the most patient hobbiest out there :P

yeah im starting to lose it though, ive been looking at an empty tank for 2 weeks now..

i want to add smart start or start smart, i forget which one it is, but its like "snake oil" ive heard a lot of people using it and theyve gotten good results with it. so i want to try it out.

Okay so I just got 3 lbs of live rock and there is a bunch of algaes and a bunch of life :) so what is your guys opinion should I let the algaes grow out in my tank or should I get rid of it?

Okay so I just got 3 lbs of live rock and there is a bunch of algaes and a bunch of life :) so what is your guys opinion should I let the algaes grow out in my tank or should I get rid of it?

If you are only going to have fish why not keep it? Does it look nice? Is it macro? Also, the feeder shrimp may use it as a breeding ground. You have to consider that the algae may need light that your dorm room lights may not provide. You could use the mirror to reflect the sunlight again if lighting is out of your budget.

I would like to see pictures of your LR please. The live rock I have access to only comes cured, it never comes with lots of visible life.

If you are only going to have fish why not keep it? Does it look nice? Is it macro? Also, the feeder shrimp may use it as a breeding ground. You have to consider that the algae may need light that your dorm room lights may not provide. You could use the mirror to reflect the sunlight again if lighting is out of your budget.

I would like to see pictures of your LR please. The live rock I have access to only comes cured, it never comes with lots of visible life.

Might as well do something new right? I hope the shrimps use the algae as a breading ground. That would be awesome to have them in my tank. I'll upload some pics later. I also found a nice led fixture at a store I could get for $60. So I might actually keep it. But I found some bubble algae... I think I'll take that off the rock.

Yeah stony corals are illegal in Hawaii but zoanthids are legal to collect.- Jcloudie80

Oh sweet. I'll think about it but read my previous post.. ^ I might grow algae in my tank. Mix it up from my last one. I'm just tryna get other people openion on it. What do you think?

Archived