Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thads Skimz Ibox Nano Project

thadscottmoore

thadscottmoore

Well, expecting delivery on Wednesday of next week- the FedEx Delivery man made a surprise Saturday delivery today!

IMG_20120901_102524.jpg

Giving a size comparison.

IMG_20120901_102823.jpg

Out of the box! Sargent cant help buy be puzzled by the new tank.

IMG_20120901_103618.jpg

IMG_20120901_103719.jpg

Assembled and let the modifications begin!

IMG_20120901_131331.jpg

IMG_20120901_131406.jpg

IMG_20120901_131306.jpg

About to load it up and take it over to a local reef buddy for some tweaking and modification help.

Plans:

1. Drill false wall and add additional pump to pump chamber.

2. Drill back and install external refugium.

3. LED fixture Fabrication.

4. Install Chiller and Heater on Refugium Chamber.

5. Install my Auto Water Change system.

6. Install the ATO.

7. Install chiller auto liquid feeder system.

everything to be controlled by my RKE

thadscottmoore

drilled and thread tapped back side.

IMG_20120902_122149.jpg

IMG_20120902_121956.jpg

Fittings installed.

IMG_20120902_141816.jpg

my buddy hooked me up with a snail drain guard.

IMG_20120902_141829.jpg

View from the top.

IMG_20120902_141802.jpg

Painted fittings installed.

IMG_20120902_154521.jpg

IMG_20120902_154544.jpg

Now, time to start building the refugium sump...

Very cool looking AIO and great mods so far. That skimmer looks like it just might work (looks very similar to the ones Glazer was making a couple years ago). Which ATO you going with and how big of a sump?

thadscottmoore
Very cool looking AIO and great mods so far. That skimmer looks like it just might work (looks very similar to the ones Glazer was making a couple years ago). Which ATO you going with and how big of a sump?

Thanks! the skimmer is very similar to Glazer skimmer (have a custom Glazer Skimmer on my Picotope).

Going to use my DA float switch from my Picotope and my RKE to manage the ATO.

Thinking about 3/4-1 gallon for a sump.

thadscottmoore

Ordering my TwentyK PAR30 from LEDtric.com. :happydance:

Built a surface skimmer box from a cassette case (dollar general still has them! bought a 4 pack- screwed up first three tries before I got it right on the 4th try). :eek: I attached it with a small bead of aquarium silicone. Gave it a test run this evening along with the fitting for water tightness- all passed without a problem. Only issue I found was the pump I would be using in the sump isnt enough to really give any flow in the tank - so, I did the next reasonable thing and went to ebay to order a pump that might fit the job. time will tell. fingerscrossed

the sump will be a job! micro sized- found this one on the net that might just fit the ticket- just have to get down to fabricating it.

IMG-20110817-00098.jpg

thadscottmoore

pictures of my home-made surface skimmer box in action made from a cassette case.

IMG_20120904_195532.jpg

IMG_20120904_195613.jpg

thats a sick fuge. awesome job man. love all the diy stuff

Thanks! That isnt my fuge though- but, I plan on building mine very much like it! everyone else wants me to convert a pre-existing tank. But, I dont roll like that :ninja: ! I see something and figure ways to improve upon it. :D

thadscottmoore

just in case kind of thing. Last year, I lost half of my Red Sea Max inhabitants when my central A/C went out while I was out of town mid Summer. The temperature in my home reached 100 degree Fahrenheit. After that, I am a firm believer in backup temperature control.

Is the chiller needed, or there as a "just in case" type of thing ?
  • 4 weeks later...
thadscottmoore

well, I saw it and knew I wanted it, so- I set out and bought it! got a gnome glass protein skimmer! all I can say, is wow! that is some sleek craftsmanship! and he is an awesome person to deal with. started break in period this evening after receiving it in the mail today. very well packed might I add!

1009121452_01.jpg

121009_0004.jpg

the glass protein skimmer's pretty cool! I would also like to know how much. and the hang on back clear-pvc-pipe skimmer thing, did you make that or was it bought? I'm going to have a 7.5gal cube and i'm just trying to figure out what I can add to it heh :)

thadscottmoore
the glass protein skimmer's pretty cool! I would also like to know how much. and the hang on back clear-pvc-pipe skimmer thing, did you make that or was it bought? I'm going to have a 7.5gal cube and i'm just trying to figure out what I can add to it heh :)

its a DIY with items found in my reef tank parts stash.

how much was that one? with shipping if i may ask

including the two extra wood air stones- and including shipping was like 80.00

• 2 weeks later...
thadscottmoore
Nice rice! Seems like it will be a great pico :) How do you like the pico skimmer?

the pico skimmer works like a charm! it went right to work within a couple days of putting in on the tank. i will post a photo of the skim capability later this evening.

Archived