Coral Vue Hydros

My Coral Placement Diagram?

Mxx

Can anyone please advise on whether these are appropriate placements of corals?

Coral_Placement2.jpg

I've just set up and am cycling my first reef tank, and this is what I have been able to make out in terms of appropriate positions for these corals. The tank is a 34 gallon all-in-one which was fortunately modified with a Tunze 9002 skimmer and decent blue and white CREE LED lighting. The massing of the rock aquascaping is a little hard to make out in the picture, so for clarity I included a photo here which shows how I was trying to prototype the scaping with cartons before I bought my live rock, and which turned out relatively similar.

Proto_scaping.jpg

There is a column of rock on the left rising to the surface on an acrylic rod, there is a lower section and shelf of rock to the right, and I had covered the rear wall with dry rock rubble and sand which was all attached with silicone. A powerhead in the upper back left corner shoots water roughly across the back wall to the surface and gives decent current throughout. I've sought to maintain room all the way around in order to clean the glass, and the rockwork is relatively open with swim-throughs all around.

I am going to start off with hardy to moderately hardy soft corals for a while before I transition into some of the hard corals after I stabilize my system's ecology and parameters and add an auto-top-off and dosing. But want to nevertheless plan ahead for future developments in the meantime. As such, I might try to encourage Green Star Polyps to cover the entire back wall and the rock that I have labelled for Birdsnest. Later on, I might even swap the top-rock and second from top-rock on the column in order to give the Birdsnest more room to grow when I do add it.

The artistry of reefscaping is a priority here, and I've sought to create strong structural forms with the ledges which will help define and separate zones of coral species. I wish to focus primarily upon corals in shades of purples and iridescent greens, although I might be mixing a little blue and pink in as well. I love the movement/iridescence/textures of soft corals, and therefore wish to have these be predominant.

I welcome your comments and critiques, as I'm utterly new at this, and I have some questions as well.

- Would the Elegans/Elegance be better at the bottom in the sand under moderate-low lighting, or higher up on the big ledge where it would have moderately-high light but a bit more current? (I seem to be seeing a lot of conflcting advice for this coral).

- Would Birdsnest be okay directly under the LED lights, or would I be better off using something else there such as Zoas?

Copy_of_21082012417.jpg

I am also new to this so dont take what i say tooo seriously (but i have been researching this stuff for like 4 months now lol) I do see a couple problems. the first thing i noticed is your rock is too close to the surface. If you place those birds nest corals at the top i have a strong feeling they will grow out of the water. Another issue i noticed is the fact you put a feather duster in there. From what i have herd from experienced reefers, it is a bad bad idea to get one of those unless your tank is VERY mature. (just something to keep in mind)

Now with the good stuff. Everything seems like it would look really nice. I'm just not sure why you want so many mushrooms. I personally think they aren't the best looking corals. The ricordas however are very beautiful. I would also keep the elegance on the bottom.

Just so you know, this will take a LONG time to add all these corals. Your looking at 3-4 months if you add them at a steady rate. Just keep in mind your idea of how everything will look might change as you add corals in your tank.

Best of luck :)

I think it's looking pretty good. The rocks are really high, but as long as your water level is consistent (even during water changes -- you'd need a sump) then it shouldn't be an issue. If you can't keep your level steady, then I'd remove the one rock from your scape all together. But as far as the birdsnests at the top go, they'll be fine up there. When they reach the water line, they'll start growing out. In my experience, birdnests have a bushier growth pattern anyways, so it'll take a while for them to make significant vertical progress.

My experience with featherdusters also seems to conflict with what the guy above was stating. I've had a featherduster for over 2 years in my tank and I haven't fed him once. He's been with me since the beginning and has thrived in even the lowest periods of my tank. I'll admit that it depends on the species, but if you really want one, don't be deterred from them.

Third, it won't really take you 3-4 months to add the coral. Based on what you've explained, your coral bioload won't be huge, so you can add them once your tank is cycled. Just be studious with your water quality and be prepared for a waterchange if needed.

Finally, I'd probably avoid the elegance coral as a starter. They're not the most hardy species. If you really want one, I'd wait a while till you've had a little bit more experience.

oops lol. I just remember being told that the feather dusters are not for new tanks. And the reason why i said it might take a while is because his tank is not that large. Adding alot of coral at once may cause a shift in water parameters

but like i said, i am also new to this, so take what i say with only some consideration.

Don't do the green star polyps with plans to replace them they can be weeds ad very difficult to get out start off with some zoas if your going to transition over if you get high end ones you like you couldpribably trade some for stuff you want it's hard to get rid of star polyps with that asked you genuinely like that particular coral and want to always have it in your tabout by all means get it.

I'll start by saying be very careful with the Hydnophora. It is still the most potent sting I've personally come across, outside of certain 'nems. They can have 8" sweepers that will just destroy any thing that isn't particularly hardy (even then, it'll have a bad day.) You'd better believe they'll nuke Euphyllia, I've seen it in action.

Outside of that, the tough thing about diagrams like this is that certain specimens will react differently than the generalized High/Moderate/Low lighting or flow charts may lead you to believe. Strictly with in the same species, you can have huge variances in what it'll like and what it won't (depending on a ton of outside factors.) It's not extremly dramatic, but the difference between great color and growth and static existence or even tissue recession can often be made by a few inches in a Nano. For example, certain varieties of Zoanthid will like the spot you have selected, others won't (not exactly the same species, but the same idea.) Just something to keep in mind.

I do like your rough plan, though. It should make an interesting display. You'll want a plate for the sanbed...I will this to be so.

Is it a problem for corals to grow all the way up to the surface, or out of the water? I don't and won't have a sump, but I do intend to get an auto top-off to keep the water level stable. And I'm hoping to get one of those automatic water changers with a clip on the edge overflow which circulate a barrel of fresh water into your system without ever having to change the water level. I'm not clear on whether corals are okay with a quick exposure to air during a water change, but will need to research those things.

I will research the feather dusters matter as well. And if I have to wait a year or so to do those then that's fine, it's not a rush with them.

I like certain mushrooms, such as the green/blue stripe and purple, and maybe pink. And I've seen lovely examples with tanks looking like a brilliant flower garden because of all the mushrooms. They are cheap, hardy, and spread easily, and can thrive in the lower flow more dimly lit areas of the scape where other corals would not. So I think they're great for really filling in some areas nicely. Some Ricordea are lovely, to each their own, but I don't think they'd thrive quite as well as the Mushrooms in those particular areas.

I was a little worried the Elegans might not get quite enough light if at the bottom. I hear they do live both in sand and on rocks and it would have made a spectacular centre-piece right on the ledge in the middle. I guess there is a concern their tentacles can get scratched on rocks in stronger current which it would be exposed to higher up. I am happy to wait on the Elegance though.

The LED panel is right at the center of the top and some of the rockwork does therefore prevent the light from certain sections of the LED panel from reaching the bottom. I'm wondering if I should add a stunner strip or two closer to the front of the hood to compensate for that. I might try to find someone with a PAR meter to take some readings, although I'm still not quite sure what PAR I'd be looking for with any given coral.

If it take a few months or a year to add all these corals then that is fine. I'd likely be adding small frags anyway. And was planning to start out with the faster growing hardy species anyway to not take costly risks with more delicate corals initially.

I was concerned about what it might take to remove Green Star Polyps from areas later on. I hear it can be done gradually, by squirting small areas each day with a turkey baster of kalkwater. It might be helpful to carefully give them a haircut while siphoning in order to not cause a sudden increase in decaying organic matter though. I think GSP are great at providing a quick and easy background fill of iridescent colour and movement for the corals that are the actual focal points though.

If Hydophora is that nasty then forget it, it's out! There are some nice neon green montiporas which would achieve the same shelving effect that I would be seeking to achieve.

I'm not sure what you meant by this Psychosis, "You'll want a plate for the sanbed...I will this to be so."?

Archived