Cultivated Reef

Dorm Reef BC14

dormreefer

Welcome to my thread which will follow my Biocube 14 from setup throughout its life!

photohop.jpg

CURRENT FTS;

photo42.jpg

Latest News:

11/3/2012

MP10es added, Koralia's return, Phosguard to replace ROWAphos for clams sake

My Maintenance Schedule:

Small water changes spread across the week to maintian 1ppm nitrate. Water testing usually takes place on Sunday with a retest on Monday if needed. Reef Nutrition "Reef Blend" 5-10 drops daily for clams and corals, fish fed Cyclop-eeze and P.E Mysis. Glass scrubbed 1-2x a week, FF replaced 2x week, ROX/Phosguard replaced every 2 weeks.

photo7sys.jpg

Current water parameters:

Salinity- 1.026, no swing with ATO

Temp- 79 degrees F

pH- 7.8-8.0 depending on time of day

Ammonia- 0.00

Nitrate- 1.00; for clams benefit

Calcium- 450

Dkh-12

Phosphate- 0.00

Tank:

Oceanic Biocube 14

Sand- 20lb Black Sand

Rock- 12lb Reel Reef

Lighting- Day: Panorama Pro Modules 1x 12k/445nm, 1x 445nm Night: 1x Coralife Blue strip

Controller- Reefkeeper Lite with 2x PC4, SL1- Pinpoint pH probe

Filtration- inTank basket; Filterfloss/Purigen/Filter Sock with BRS ROX and Phosguard

Main Pump- MJ900

Circulation- MP10es Reefcrest 50%, Nightmode 8 hours 50%

Heater- 50w ViaAqua controlled by RKL to 79 (0.2 hysteresis)

ATO- Avast Nano, 1 gallon RO/DI in stand, pump Aqualifter

Tank Inhabitants -

2x- Oscelleris Clown, one ORA misbar (Coral) the other standard (Nemo :P), added 8/19/2012

1x- Yasha Hasha Goby (Santa)

Inverts-

1x Cleaner Shrimp (Jacques)

1x Randall's Pistol Shrimp (Santa's Little Helper), paired with Yasha Hasha

Clean up crew-

2x Blue legged Hermit

1x Trochus Snail

3x Astrea Snail

5x Bumble Bee Snails

Corals-

4-Headed Green torch coral

1x Acropora Digitata

1x Pulsing Xenia Colony

1x Blue Mushroom

1x Orange Mushroom

1x Orange Montipora

1x Orange Aussie Acan

Zoa/Palys;

Dragon Eye

Purple Death

Fire and Ice Colony

Green People Eater

Purple People Eaters

Thanks,

DormReefer

Old News:

FTS-October

photo26_zps96e9b503.jpg

10/30/2012

Two Koralia 240's added, RKL iTemp probe failure :angry:, rescape #3

10/29/2012

Super Ultra Maxima!!!

10/16/2012

Switched from CPE to Filter Sock with BRS ROX and Rowaphos

9/29/2012

RKL installed!

photo17_zpsbe663a8f.jpg

9/26/2012

Panorama Pro Modules Installed

IMG_0553-Copy_zpsb8ffbe90.jpg

9/23/2012

All LEDs bought from Hardware classifieds can't wait

9/17/2012

Alk issues, 15dKH :angry:

9/06/2012

Added several more corals, few snails and started minor dosing plan

8/28/2012

All tested levels sitting great other than a little Phopshate :mellow:

8/25/2012

Randall's Pistol Shrimp (Santa's Little Helper) added!

photo6nn.jpg

8/23/2012

Yasha Hasha Goby (Santa) added!

photo5fxq.jpg

Latest FTS 8/22/2012-Note the blur is due to my iphone :angry:

photo2qd.jpg

FTS 8/19/2012

photo1pw.jpg

Original Intoduction;

Hey Guys, I am about to move back up to school for my Sophomore year. I successfully kept a pico reef last year but decided I needed to go a little bigger this year. So after weighing up the pros/cons of quite a few tanks I decided to go for a Biocube 14, which I picked up for quite a steal! The tank and stand are both brand new the cube is actually the newest PC/LED version. I have already done a fair bit a research and aside from filling and testing the tank I have removed the false bottom in chamber 1, enhanced the overflow to chamber 2 and added a MJ900 instead of the stock sun pump. I hope to get the tank filled with salt this Saturday on move-in day and get progressing as soon as possible! While I have several salt tanks back home I was wondering what would be the most efficient way to cycle/get the tank set up and going as soon as possible (I'm a tad impatient :D) Anyways enough talking here's the plans;

Picked up 20lbs of sand and 12lbs reel reef rock today

Sounds like your tank is coming along nicely.

My $.02 on a jawfish- do a forum search on them first. I was looking into getting one at first too, but the blue-spot appears to have a poor track record for successful keeping. A pearly (yellow head) jawfish would probably do better & people appear to have better luck with them.

I appreciate the response and did look a bit further into Blue spots, I feel that it probably isn't the most practical if its only a dorm tank and am likely going to stay clear of them. Just wondering what other small fish to put in the tank aside from clowns, maybe I'll stick to a watchman goby!

Also while looking through the forums the media basket seems to be a hit on here and I hope to order one shortly, anyone care to share their opinions on chaeto v chemipure

I'll be following! Putting together my first dorm tank this year too, although I start spring semester. Mines only 6.2 gallons, though. Question for ya though. Mine has an optional stand to purchase like the biocube does (mines from micro reefs). Do you think its nessicary due to lack of space in a dorm to have its own stand? I havn't been in my potential dorm yet to see if my desk can even hold a fishtank bigger than a beta bowl. Should I just dish out the extra 300 something now and get the stand? haha

I'll be following! Do you think its nessicary due to lack of space in a dorm to have its own stand? I havn't been in my potential dorm yet to see if my desk can even hold a fishtank bigger than a beta bowl. Should I just dish out the extra 300 something now and get the stand? haha

To be honest I got my BC brand new off Craigslist for a steal, at 300 bucks I'm not sure if I'd go with a stand either. Last year I had a set of drawers which was very sturdy and could probably hold a few hundred pounds so a decent sized nano no issue. It's all about space also, a stand is fish only space. I'm living in an apartment so its not a true "dorm" and space is a little better...I guess what I mean to say is that it's your decision but 300 seems a lot, whats the dimensions?

At least I think it was 300. It was taken off of the website it was originally on and I'd have to special order it now. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=299321 this is my tank at the moment, except I have the tropical version, not the temperate. I'm in a freshman dorm, so its pretty small.. =(

It shouldn't be to hard to make one yourself? Much cheaper too! What are you keeping in it? Cold water :o

It shouldn't be to hard to make one yourself? Much cheaper too! What are you keeping in it? Cold water :o

No, he makes a tropical version of the same tank without the chillers. Tis your average nano reef. The only reason I'm so interested in the stand is because it exactly matched the canopy of the tank...I guess its just my own issue on asthetics. Haha

I got the fishes yesterday! Figured since I had liver rock/sand and seeded filter media that my small pair of clowns wouldn't do much to the water quality especially as i'll be doing w/cs 1-2x a week. Quick question however has anyone ever disabled the fans on the biocube? Mine's running below 75 degrees with both lights and id like to get it warmer/quieter.

No, he makes a tropical version of the same tank without the chillers. Tis your average nano reef. The only reason I'm so interested in the stand is because it exactly matched the canopy of the tank...I guess its just my own issue on asthetics. Haha

Oh ok haha, had me wondering for a second there.

Flaming Reef

In the older biocube if you open up the hood of the biocube you can disconnect the fans by hand. Just follow the cord to where they are plugged in. But I would be very careful because if your lights aren't cooled properly they will die out faster, esp the moonlights. You'll probably be running too cold at night anyway. Get a heater! You'll need it for the water changes. Are the fans making noises?

Congrats on getting your fish. Did you end up going for the snowflakes?

Are the fans making noises?

Congrats on getting your fish. Did you end up going for the snowflakes?

Thanks I'm happy to finally get this tank up it sat empty most of summer. The fans make noise but I think its just standard air movement noise, still loud but I guess I'll adjust to it. I actually ended up getting an ORA Misbar and a regular, yet extremely bright colored, clown. I did want to go with the "designer clowns" but my roomies want fish and they wanted them yesterday! Plus they offered to drive :P

make sure no drunk girls try to pet nemo, unless it guarantees you getting some

I agree, but I don't think the GF would approve lol

Flaming Reef

Again this was for the old biocube but I've had Oceanic replace my fans maybe 3 times for free. Not sure how it will work with Coralife. They can also tend to get dusty super fast so maybe a wipe down would help?

Ha, well since they offered to drive....we need some pics!

Pics are up! Shrimps and Corals are in! Managed to get lots of corals for extremely low prices today one store had 40% off! Also picked up some "Reef Fuel" kinda bought into the LFS sale pitch but the store was fantastic and their corals were amazing, any thoughts on the stuff?

Added Yasha Hasha Goby and 3 Astreas today...However my Cleaner Shrimp decided to eat one of my Trochus -.-

inTank basket purigen, CPE and floss arrived and installed and water parameters are stable! The basket is a work of art btw!

photo3mv.jpg

Lastly hung a curtain for blackout purposes in my room so I can sleep in late, it also works perfect to keep outside light out of my tank!

photo4bz.jpg

Very cool. does the inTank basket fit into your back compartments, or is it hidden in the display?

The inTank basket occupies chamber 2, just remove bioballs and make the waterfall from chamber 1 to the chamber larger and from there its place and go! I've read a lot of good about it combined with the CPE and Purigen so we shall see!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the hydroids are gone! Alk has been crazy high recently and the cause is still somewhat unknown but everyone is happy and healthy so no stress.

LED LIGHTS coming soon! 445 and 12k/445 panorama pro strips with 2 power supplies should all arrive soon, hardware classifieds rocks!

Archived