L18XW8.5xH11

3lbs Live Rock

Equipment

Light - Wave Point 12" 16 Watt Micro Sun LED 50/50

Pump/Filter - Aquaclear 50

Heater - Fluval 25w

Livestock

Fish

1 Pair Clownfish (Forgot the species', will have to get back on that)

1 Watchman Goby

Clean Up Crew

2 Astrea Snails

3 Hermit Crabs

Coral

1 Fungia

Lucky Charm Leptastrea

Rasta zoas

Blue hornet zoas

Dragon Ball Zoas

Future Plans

- Mod Lighting

- Make ATO

- Design Lid

- Upgrade to Starfire Glass with Black Silicone

- Design Mini Cabinet

- Design Protein skimmer

- DIY Moonlight

FTS - 08/04/2012

IMG_1214.jpg

So, stopped by Coral Collection in Orange County today after checking out their build thread and got bit by the bug a little quicker than I had anticipated. Shame on me for even setting foot in an aquarium store.

For anyone who lives in the area, you should definitely stop by and check out what they have to offer. I would even say order online, they have some of the healthiest corals that I have seen in a LFS. They definitely look like they could use the support as the store wasn't as stocked (with live fish, supplies, etc) as it deserves to be.

I initially went it to check out their clown pairs as i wanted to do a breeder set-up later on down the road but it looks like I am going to have to put that on hold for a couple months. I ended up Buying a pair of clowns a Goby and some LR and store water......also bought a ~50g star fire tank that they had on sale (Couldn't resist ;)). I guess you guys will be seeing three build threads from me!

The plans for this tank are as follows

- Build a custom lid to prevent jumpers (Do you guys recommend any websites where i can get a piece of acrylic or glass laser cut? .. really would prefer to not use the dremel.

- Mod Aquaclear with Steviet's equipment... I remember being on this site years ago and ordering things from him when he just started..incredible how much he has done.

- Add sand for my goby (though i would prefer not to) what do you think?

- Add Moonlight ... or DIY one

- Maybe use this tank for a nano skimmer DIY project

- Set up a small ato system

Don't plan on adding anymore fish...may try to pair the goby with a pistol or with another goby, not sure yet. As far as coral goes, I have been out of the game for a while, so i don't even remember most of them but i think i may do some mini carpet anemones and ricordias..any suggestions?

Just added some Coral

Fungia

Lucky Charm Leptasia

Rasta zoa

Blue hornet zoa

Dragon Ball Zoa

Forgot one of the leptasias at the store..need to go back and get it..ugh!

Here is a shot of my goby that has been knighted Sir Grumpy by my lady.

IMG_1218.jpg

Look what i got!

IMG_1233.jpg

Yes sir! Thats a RO Hb2000. Haven't seen anyone using one on a tank this small so it will be interesting to see how it works out. I am planning to have a pretty heavy bio-load of coral in here to start and will be using it to design my own brand of nano skimmers.

Anyone ever put a media basket into the return of a skimmer? Im thinking of putting either that or my chaeato in there.

Also my Coral shot of the day (taken with my iPhone)

IMG_1224.jpg

Finally my fts of the day

IMG_1223.jpg

The only immediate concern that I am having right now is whether or not my lighting is ample enough to keep my hard coral alive. Not too worried about brightness and that can be fixed. Has anyone modded this type of light? Can it be modded or will i have to design a l.e.d set-up asap?

I have an order coming in from Stevie T and Aquascapers...VERY EXCITED!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yikes, i need to get back to updating this..

Got an order in from saltcritters.com today and am totally stoked. Had about 85% of my items arrive alive (Did 2 day delivery).....Seeing if i can revive the remainders that weren't completely melted away. Will update with pics!!

Archived